Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Default 7mm08 vs. 25-06

What would you chose for a newbie and why ???
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Depends.
What type of hunting is done?
Physical size of the shooter.
Shooter experience.

Both calibers are capable as are the 257 Roberts, 260 rem, 6.5x55, 7x57, and yes the 270Win, even the 308Win, and the 30'06 (I'll explain)
Here is the explanation to the larger caliber listings:
http://www.remington.com/products/am...ged-Recoil.asp
I would'nt go the magnum route personally, I think the bark and the bite is still a bit much.

First off make sure the rifle is sized and fitted to the shooter. None of this they will grow into it BS. Nothing will ruin a shooter faster than constantly shoving their thumb up their nose with every shot. Consider firearms that have a ready supply of stocks on the after market, or similar options.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM

I will start out by saying that I have owned both in several models. My favorite is the 25-06...largely because of what I shoot and where I shoot it. I used to do a lot of antelope and long distance coyote hunting on the prairies so a flat tragectory was often required. The 7mm-08 is usually in a smaller shorter rig that makes for an excellent deer rifle in bush and mixed open country. They are both comfortable to shoot recoil wise and ammo is widely available. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Where I would put even more attention is to the scope. Many shooters go cheap on scopes and pay the price later. I am very maticulous with my bench shooting and demand extreme accuracy. I found most any Remington off the shelf will deliver 1 MOA from the box and much less with a trigger job and the right load. The new Remington SPS rifles are an absolute steal at $500 so you have more funds left for glass. Now I spend more than the value of the rifle on my scopes...often much more. The result is that I no longer encounter the frustration of poor quality glass, wandering points of impact, numerous shipments for repair and so on. My accuracy also got even better since the target resolution is that much better than before. Get good glass.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Gone Hunting

I would say more importantly, when you spend big bucks on the optics, dont even think about trying to save a little cash buying cheap rings and mounts. Even if you mount something cost effective. It aint any good to ya if it aint mounted. Far as the calibers go, theres guys with more info on here than you can shake a stick at, i aint one of em though. Dont forget a PROPER sling. Have fun shopping!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM

A better comparison would have been with the short actions, 7mm08 vs. the 308. I'm looking at getting the lightest possible rifle for my wife (the ruger compact) and putting an Ultralite Leupold 3x9 on it. My biggest concern is the amount of felt recoil, I thought about the reduced recoil loads in the 308 or even the 30-06, but what if that particluar brand/load doesn't shoot that well in the new gun ? What about resale if she doesn't like it down the road ? Would either of these calibres in this rifle be of interest to someone looking for a light weight mtn rifle ?? Is the 7mm08 too light for Elk or Moose ?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Problem with the Ruger Compact is the stubby barrel, never mind recoil, the muzzle blast from a short tube will induce a flinch more readily than a bit more recoil.
There in lies the problem.
That's why I went 700SPS Youth in 270 for my MRS. still has a 22" pipe. all the short action Remi's have 20 inchers which equals a lot more report from the muzzle.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 AM

With your added info, I agree with what Dick has suggested. The SPS Youth line is readily available, priced right and can be upgraded to full size by just changing the stock. They shoot very well. Try one with managed recoil loads. Another thought is to go with a regular sized Model 7.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
sheephunter

Just because of bullet choice alone, I'd look at the '08 as a bit more all-round calibre in Alberta. The .25 is a great choice when you already have something bigger and are looking for a great deer/antelope/sheep gun. The '08 is definitely better suited to larger game like elk and such...IMHO.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 AM

The 7MM08 would be my choice I shoot 1000's of rounds a year with it.Its a short action with very little muzzle blast, the 120 grs. will take all the deer you need. If you need more punch use the 162grs.they never leave a ram up at 500 meters.

Problem here, is you have to hit it.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 AM

El Nino,
I echo Sheephunter's view, with near-personal experience. My wife uses a 7-08 and loves it. She started out with a .243, hunting deer and antelope. When elk and moose were added to the equation, the little 7 took over. With good bullets and good shot placement, its fine for the bigger critters. Load it up with 120 or 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets and it will do what you need it to.

Perhaps more important than cartridge choice for a lady, 'tho, is the need for the rifle to fit your wife. You mentioned weight as a factor, but that's only one. Mine (she's 5'4") was having some problems mounting and sighting the rifle at first, particularly with a couple of clothing layers on. Initially I hesitated to take wood off the buttstock, and instead moved the scope back in the rings. Not wise! I wasn't really fixing the problem, which was one of overall gun fit (specifically, length of pull). When we realized this, the stock was shortened by 3/4" and it all came together. She hasn't looked back. Make sure whatever rifle your wife winds up with fits her well, or at least is readily made to fit. Another tip regarding gun weight, is to rig the rifle with one of those wide neoprene slings from Butler Creek. They reduce felt-weight and absorb bounce when walking.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks for your imput guys......lol