Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
jrs

Default Modifications?

Now that hunting seasons done for me the playing can begin. Does anyone know of a place in Alberta that would custom paint a rifle? I saw the do-it yourself snow camo but i lack the equiptment and patients to get it done as nice as i'd like. Anyone ever hear of a cost to get that done? I am thinking of getting my 223 painted when i put a higher end scope on it. I was going to check with a taxidermist i know but then i'd have to track down the paint. Any reccomendations/suggestions?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Corlanes in Cawson Creek
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
jrs

Thanks. I checked out their webpage (I assume you meant Dawson Creek). Some very neat stuff, i really enjoyed looking through and gained an appreciation of how much some add on's cost. I would love to find something closer (Edmonton, Calgary, south) but i think i will send an email for a quote when i figure out exactly what i want.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Lock and Load in Edmonton handles rifle painting.

Rod
Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 AM

ill be doing my ultralite wby in a duracoat teflon coating in a coyote and underbrush coloring. for about $30 per gun and 90 colors to pick from. ive done my rem870 bear gun in desert storm tan and the wifes wby in HK black.
once its on...its on!
http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

you need
a sand blaster,
some aluminum oxide (available at crappy tire)
an HVLP gun, airbrush or sprayer of some kind
a CLEAN oiless air compressor
and your imagination

contact Al in St Albert
1 866 799 8822

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
jrs

Thanks a lot guys. I've sent a few emails and I'm waiting for replies (regarding cost/ time lines/products etc). The do it myself option is limited as free time is limited (when I'm not ill anyway). Busy with work, busy finishing all the projects that took back seat starting August 25th, ice fishing, etc. Thanks a lot though, that's a great start and really gets the imagination going. I do have all the equipment i could possible need and a friend who worked at a gun shop many years ago as an advisor. I will have pics and results when its all said and done. The firearm shops do some stuff that may be cool as well, maybe lighten up the sheep rifle a bit more. Learned a lot during this search, lots of possibilities.

The one project i have to get on is i cut down a massive plum tree 2 yrs ago and tarred the trunk (so it dried without cracking). The chunk of wood has an incredible dark brown to purple grain (lots of character) and my plan is to plane it down and turn it into a rifle stock as a gift for a younger sibling who will be starting to hunt next year. I have two apple trunks i did the same think to for practice before i try the plum (nearly impossible to get a big enough trunk without a big curve that's not rotted in the middle). Bit of a dream project but if i start that I'll be paying someone to do mine as it will take hundreds of hours of wood work to get it right.

Thanks once again, some great stuff.

jrs