Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Upgrade to a digital scale system

I am looking to do an upgrade from my balance beam system to a digital and auto dispencing system. Our local retailers carry two major models.
The Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and the RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser and scale (1500).
Anybody have any pros or cons between the two.
Will they speed up loading time (I weigh every charge) or should I just stick to the ole trusty balance beams and tricklers for accuracy with weighted charges.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 AM

I have the Lyman & love it. And yes it will certainly speed up your loading time.

I know nothing of the RCBS scale. Although, I will say that I have heard several reports of RCBS's QC slipping dramatically......but which comanys product isnt these days?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM

I have this unit and it is fantastic!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Which one is it 209?, the pic didnt show up.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
Which one is it 209?, the pic didnt show up.
Sorry, I can see it. It is the RCBS combo unit, scale and dispenser.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 PM

The RCBS Chargemaster is on my Xmas list.I had posted a query on it about three months ago and everyone seemed to like it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=chargemaster

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like either one would be okay.
I load a bit for the 270 win.
Most use will be for my 204's. Lots of high volume shooting.
Powder weights average between 24 and 28 grains, so these units should speed things up as long as accuracy is what they claim to be, +/- .1

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Default skip those scales

look on the net for diamond/gem scales, i own a jennings, that is .05gr accurate and also an acculab....Both are good, the acculab is twice as much as the jennings, but i find when i compare them (acculab is .02gr accuract) they are really close and by the way, i have used the lyman and the rcbs and i would never go back to one of those....

remember in a small capacity case that you spend all the time narrowing down your load by .2-.3 of a grain and a scale that is accurate to +/- .1gr means a .2 variance is acceptable, 28.0gr might be 27.9 or 28.1

Maybe on my .338lapua AI that might not matter as is 110.5 gr of powder, but .2 variance on a .204 makes a difference..... (Or maybe i am to picky but i dont think so,,,,,,,)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtothebone View Post
look on the net for diamond/gem scales, i own a jennings, that is .05gr accurate and also an acculab....Both are good, the acculab is twice as much as the jennings, but i find when i compare them (acculab is .02gr accuract) they are really close and by the way, i have used the lyman and the rcbs and i would never go back to one of those....

remember in a small capacity case that you spend all the time narrowing down your load by .2-.3 of a grain and a scale that is accurate to +/- .1gr means a .2 variance is acceptable, 28.0gr might be 27.9 or 28.1

Maybe on my .338lapua AI that might not matter as is 110.5 gr of powder, but .2 variance on a .204 makes a difference..... (Or maybe i am to picky but i dont think so,,,,,,,)
Did a quick google on the jennings and the diamond/gem. I'm obviously not using the right search terms. Do you have a url, please?

Thanks

Rod
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM

They work great. Caution though, they measure slightly different to the beam type scale. I loaded up a bunch of 7mm RM using a freinds' chargemaster that shot really well for me. Went home and used my beam type scale for the same load and they ended up too hot. The difference was about 1 grain!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
They work great. Caution though, they measure slightly different to the beam type scale. I loaded up a bunch of 7mm RM using a freinds' chargemaster that shot really well for me. Went home and used my beam type scale for the same load and they ended up too hot. The difference was about 1 grain!
Well thats a problem! One grain is a HUGE discrepency. No doubt one scale is out of whack.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Default try

www.canadianweigh.com the jennings u want goes only to 20grams... accurate to .05 of a grain....

It looks cheesy compared to a rcbs or the lyman or dillon as its quite small i think its in the compacts, but it super accurate, its damn close to my acculab....... I have loaded over 1500 rounds with it and i am impressed..... The best way, it to use the pan from a beam scale, put it on the the scale, tare it, then while still leaving it on, use a powder dispenser, and dispense into a little container and pour onto the scale, trickle the last grains... Time consuming, but I get very consistant loads this way, and even with my lapua, the last batch was chronod with a single digit spread.....