Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 PM

Question Reloading

Hey guys, I'm thinking of reloading my own bullets. I'm farly new to this and i was just wondering what kind of press or a kit to get me on my way. I will be loading 300WSM,243WIN,270,and 25-06. Thanks for your info guys.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Any of the kits will do well, I use a lot of Lee , although some say their dies are inferior, and so are there presses.
Their Anniversary kit has everything you need.
The RCBS is also a very good kit.
Cat
Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks cat I'll check into those kits.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 AM

You can buy a kit to start. I like RCBS stuff as well as Hornady, but you also could start with a lot more basic stuff. Here is a list:
#1 Press, none of your calibers need a heavy duty press. The Rockchucker is great, but you also could get away a smaller press.
#2 Scale, you don't need a digital to start with, although they are nice.
#3 Basic case care stuff: deburring tool, Brush for cleaning case openings, Flash hole deburring tool (Not absolutely necessary),case lube, lube pad, shell holders, funnels, trickler, calipers are needed even old linear ones (you need to know overall length),a bullet puller will also come in handy at some point.
#4 I recomend a hand primer, you can prime from some presses but it is trickier and I don't like it. A hand primer allows you to "feel" the primer setting in place.
#5 Dies, you will need a set for every caliber, also shell holders of which some will be the same.
#6 Components like: brass, powder, bullets, as needed. To save money buy primers and brass in bulk.

Down the Road: Case trimmer, Powder measure, and all those great Stony Point tools for measuring OAL in your gun, Setting each bullet to the same depth, etc., and maybe a tumbler to clean all your brass.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions PM me or somebody else that has done this before.

Most of all have fun. I love sitting around the reloading bench cleaning brass etc. thinking about what I could do to improve my reloading and end product.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:45 AM

Default My 2 cents of advice

I have a lot of Lee equipment and I have a bit of allegiance to them - without their commpetitive pricing I would have been delayed several years before I handloaded just saving for the equipment! However, I have been handloading 15 years now have as much RCBS (cannot beat their warranty and service) and Hornady stuff. The Lee Classic Cast Press is my vote for the Best Value - it is likely the only Single Stage Press you'll ever buy. Due to the larger working height and nice primer catcher I find myself using it in preference over my rock chucker (bolted next to it). Wholesale Sports Mail Order carries pretty much the full Lee line at reasonable prices (not sure if they have dropped due to our $$$). I also saw SIR Mail order carrying a Tumbler and sifter Combo for $79.99. Of course there are likely many other good deals out there - I just thought I would mention a couple so you can get the most bang-for-your-buck. Best of Luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM

I am not fan of the lee scales, but they certainly work.
Their powder measures are also very easy to adjust, and I use mine for throwing BP charges.
Their clasic is indeed a good press.
I don't own one, but have four others, and from what I have seen it is as good as any of them.

One of my presses is over 50 years old, and is still in very tight condition and accurate. If they aree taken care of they will last a lifetime.

Ilalso use an old Redding beam scalescale that is about 40 years old and still very accurate.
Once you start using a tumbler you will continue to, but it is not an absolute when starting out.

Cat
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM

I like the RCBS Rockchucker kit, which goes for about $400 less shell holder and dies. It has pretty much everything a guy needs to get started, but you will pick up a few odds and ends along the way. With our dollar being on par with the US buck, it might be less expensive to order from the US.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Although I own a RCBS press and a Lyman scale, I believe most of the presses and scales will perform the job equally well. Dies, however, are a different matter. Spend the extra $$$ and purchase Redding Competition dies. Their superior design is readily apparent.

If $$$ is a factor, consider purchasing used for all the required equipment except the dies.

Bobby B.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys my head hurts now. This site is great for info to help a guy get started. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM

I would suggest looking at the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit.I bought this a couple years ago and have no regrets. It has almost everything you need to start reloading. I have since added a few goodies to my GREEN reloading equipment. Hopefully soon the Chargemaster electronic scale and powder dispenser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ,DanaInfo=shop_rcbs_com+09357.jpg (26.9 KB, 42 views)

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Green is good stuff, I have a whack of it. Hornady is every bit as good and less costly. I have a whack of that too. Ask Sandi and she'll tell you I have too much of pretty much everything.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
jrs

I got an older rockchucker last spring, a friend of mine found it on ebay for me, i paid $40. Works excellent. I have only been reloading for my 270WSM so far as time is limited but its rewarding. I was low on bullets this past weekend after having to re-zero my rifle (missed a whitetail buck Saturday and felt i shouldn't have, i'm thinking it must have got bumped earlier this fall as it was a few inches out at 75 yards, double checked everything was tight and i'm looking for another chance) and its nice to be able to put a few together whenever (the factory bullets i liked were hard to find in the fall). But the press works well, a guy from fish and game helped mentor me and i plan on starting up loads for several other rifles this winter (270, 30-06, 303, 223). Figure i put about $250 in so far, a scale was the only other pricey thing (was $80 at wholesale). Been watching the gun shops for used dies and stuff (had to get the 270WSM new) but i found some for the 30-06 already. I've bought some lee stuff as well, works great so far and was pretty affordable. Helps if someone who has done it in the past can help at the start, gave me a bit more confidence. The reloading kit mentioned above was my initial idea, but i ended up doing it slowly over time instead. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I would suggest looking at the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit.I bought this a couple years ago and have no regrets. It has almost everything you need to start reloading. I have since added a few goodies to my GREEN reloading equipment. Hopefully soon the Chargemaster electronic scale and powder dispenser.
X2
Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM

I was looking a while back at the Lyman kits at P&D their single stage press( Crusher II) looked as good if not better than the RCBS kit since it came with more of the little goodies a feller will need. The RCBS is good no doubt but their kits remind me of a restaurant where everthing outside of the main dish is extra, I think that's called El a Carte.
last time I looked it was a touch over $400 for the Lyman kit.
BTW the kit takes any 7/8x14 thread dies so any of the major dies manufacturers dies will fit.

Here's a cut/paste of the kit contents:
Expert Kit includes:

• Choice of T-Mag II or Crusher II Press
• Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
• Pro 500 Reloading Scale
• #55 Powder Measure
• Universal Priming Arm
• Primer Tray
• Auto Primer Feed
• Extra Decapping Pins
• 48th Edition Reloading Handbook
• Primer Catcher
• Deburring Tool
• Powder Funnel
• Quick Release Turret System (T-Mag Press only)
• Case Lube Kit
• 7/8" x 14 Adapter
(mounts #55 powder measure in press turre

There are no absolutes
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Have had great success with the RCBS rockchucker kit as well.
For the dies, I do prefer the Redding competion series or the Hornady. I have found I get less "run out" with these dies as compared to the RCBS dies.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 AM

How is the Lock-N-Load AP from Hornady?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:49 AM

I purchased the Lee anniversary kit & Lee dies and have been haapy with them.

I find the $30 lee scale very primative but it is very accurate. I work in an organization that has a lab with very expensive and accurate weight scales. Just yestersday I weighed my 71.5 grain powder charge from the lee scale which should weigh 4.633 grams. The $5000 electronic scale said it weighed 4.632 grams.

Priceless!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 AM

Default its in the details

Arctic,
Any of the reloading sets will most likely work for you (i have a rock chucker), but more importantly is proper reloading practices. There are a ton of varables to take into account when handloading, and its way easier to learn proper procedures from the get go. I was lucky enough to start learning from a guy who had been reloading for years, and was so anal about everything it drove me nuts. Looking back, it was the best thing that could have happened.
If possible find someone to load with, if not read your brains out and remember the details.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

My 2 cents

Start with a Lee aniversery kit. You will get basically everything you need at a really decent price. But buy RCBS dies cause thay are just better. If you enjoy reloading you can easily upgrade piece by piece as you go.

A word of warning, reloading is like fishing "I could do it better if i just had a ............."
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to get one this weekend not sure what type yet. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM

One note: RCBS has awesome warranty service. I've bent the deprimer assembly on a couple of dies. All i did was email them and they sent new replacement parts free of charge with no questions. They have a very good rep for service.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up lee classic press

Hey guys just got the lee classic press and rcbs dies and all the goodies for now. Thanks for all the help. Now its time to go to work. Does anybody have a good load for the 300WSM using the 165 barnes 165 TSX. so i can give it a try to start off. Any help would be great.