Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
I began my archery life with a recurve, then went to a compound, then tried a crossbow for a while. In BC, I think the regulations were a bit more inclusive of crossbows at the time.

My conclusions?... A crossbow has some advantages at closer distances (under 30 yards?) They are fast and accurate at those distances. Past 30-or-so yards, I would take the compound hands-down and would challenge any freehand-crossbow shooter any day at 30+ distances. At close range, the crossbow is accurate but at longer ranges, they are finicky and unforgiving if you're at all off in your distance calculation [due to the short arrows]. As well, I found the crossbow cumbersome and awkward in the bush. In the end, I sold the stupid thing and bought a wedding ring.

I think crossbows can give a false impression that they are "super-killers" when they are not.
thats what i found as well. the new string cocking aids seem to help with the issue of drawing it properly which sure does make em shoot wierd. also, they do seem to drop much faster at longer ranges. im sticking to the vertical bow.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Gone Hunting

I am going to kill, not hunt and hopefully harvest, but kill, a slammer open country spot and stalk mule deer every year, and the crossbow will make it happen for me. Get used to seeing whats left of our big southern muledeer going up in smoke boys. Hope ya like seeing nothing but our cull bucks when you get those rifle tags. If ya want boys, us southern boys can send photos of whats going to be available for rifle after were done every fall. Guys dont have a CLUE how easy open country will be with a Xbow, and we are talking about the toughest BOW hunting on planet earth. Bottom line, it will not even be a challenge. Least, it isnt gonna be a challenge for afew of us anyways. All this B.S. about how there will be no difference with harvest stats is exactly that, Bull-****. Id like to say I give two sh*ts about this province anymore, but that would be a lie, and I dont tell lies. When Im done only caring about myself and feel theres nothing more that I want, she's gonna be a coin toss between Sask and the North country. If ya cant beat em, join em! See ya in the field boyz.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I am going to kill, not hunt and hopefully harvest, but kill, a slammer open country spot and stalk mule deer every year, and the crossbow will make it happen for me. Get used to seeing whats left of our big southern muledeer going up in smoke boys. Hope ya like seeing nothing but our cull bucks when you get those rifle tags. If ya want boys, us southern boys can send photos of whats going to be available for rifle after were done every fall. Guys dont have a CLUE how easy open country will be with a Xbow, and we are talking about the toughest BOW hunting on planet earth. Bottom line, it will not even be a challenge. Least, it isnt gonna be a challenge for afew of us anyways. All this B.S. about how there will be no difference with harvest stats is exactly that, Bull-****. Id like to say I give two sh*ts about this province anymore, but that would be a lie, and I dont tell lies. When Im done only caring about myself and feel theres nothing more that I want, she's gonna be a coin toss between Sask and the North country. If ya cant beat em, join em! See ya in the field boyz.
wow..just when i thought the insanity was over....BAM!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
They really need sound effects on this site................I'd be pushing the clapping sound right now!!!! I didn't want to say it out loud, but you did it for me Pack, and your right 100 % Packhuntr

Last edited by pottymouth; 04-09-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
wow..just when i thought the insanity was over....BAM!

Wow, you are in for a big surprise arent you. Well dont listen to me, I dont wanna ruin it for you.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

so if the facts show crossbow succes to be pretty well identical to vertical bow succes....and....open prairie bowhunting is the toughest on planet earth......ah forget it. most of us have moved on pack....you can argue with yourself.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
so if the facts show crossbow succes to be pretty well identical to vertical bow succes....and....open prairie bowhunting is the toughest on planet earth......ah forget it. most of us have moved on pack....you can argue with yourself.
Take your stats..... Ah, never mind. You know, if you compare those same treestand whitetail Xbow sats with rifle treestand whitetail stats, you should be able to form another twin set of documents for your collection!

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you understand what he's saying. Getting busted drawing a bow in the bald ***** prairies on a mulie is the main reason its so hard. A XGun can be cocked and ready so the chance of spooking the deer are vertually gone.
Remember there are more things to shoot in the flat country besides gophers and most of them spook easier as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Nothing new here either....

No hard numbers to support you position yet eh boys? At least I tried.

I'm done with these threads as I can't have a debate with people who don't even know how to debate.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post

I'm done with these threads as I can't have a debate with people who don't even know how to debate.
So answer just one of the questions you have been asked then?
Posting googled paragraphs is far from debating!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:

yeah, its getting to be that time.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
If your so into encouraging different ways of hunting then why have you not gotten into archery???
Can't pull back a bow and hold it steady??
Or just don't want to learn something technical and new?
I have, yes I can, not sure how to answer that..... Have a bow and xbow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Do you bow hunt? Have you ever tryed a compound or a xbow? Why is it that you want to use a xbow so bad?Is it cause you keep getting busted drawing back or is it just to hard to do?
Yes, yes, love to use new tools, no, no.

Now its your turn.

Come up with something meaningful and I'll continue.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
ok

I have, yes I can, not sure how to answer that..... Have a bow and xbow.

Yes, yes, love to use new tools, no, no.

Now its your turn.

Come up with something meaningful and I'll continue.
I posted this in the other but no real come back so this is for you.

ok so you say the sucsess rates are the same. So lets put some numbers to this. If 1000 people use compound and 1000 use xbow. As for right know srd basis 15% harvest to archery so if we double the people that doubles the harvest. How the hell is that good? Our muledeer and moose numbers are down province wide so let double the sucsess rate which inturn means more dead animals. So what you all think is more opertunity in incorrect as it all goes to draw and is taken away.Time to get a archery tag would double so 410 sheep would be once every 14-18 years, 8-10 for antelope and 2-4years for an archery muledeer.Moose would all go to the draws insted of having the tiny window to harvest one with your sticks so I think we all should look at more than just what we are using but is it worth losing what we know for a hibrid gun to be a part of a archery season.I dont think so.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
I posted this in the other but no real come back so this is for you.

ok so you say the sucsess rates are the same. So lets put some numbers to this. If 1000 people use compound and 1000 use xbow. As for right know srd basis 15% harvest to archery so if we double the people that doubles the harvest. How the hell is that good? Our muledeer and moose numbers are down province wide so let double the sucsess rate which inturn means more dead animals. So what you all think is more opertunity in incorrect as it all goes to draw and is taken away.Time to get a archery tag would double so 410 sheep would be once every 14-18 years, 8-10 for antelope and 2-4years for an archery muledeer.Moose would all go to the draws insted of having the tiny window to harvest one with your sticks so I think we all should look at more than just what we are using but is it worth losing what we know for a hibrid gun to be a part of a archery season.I dont think so.

Hmmm....either he figured your comments where not meaningful or else he's googling some "facts" for us to see.

Can' wait to see what the professor has to say next. If anything.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm....either he figured your comments where not meaningful or else he's googling some "facts" for us to see.

Yes you are probably right.As in the other one same thing with stinky does not grasp that we all are going to loose here so nothing changes at all other than no one hunt with a bow (very minimal would)and we all get the draw on everythinng and the already draws for archery would take double the time.Sounds REAL SMART TO ME KEEP UP ALL YOUR HARD WORK ABANGLER YOU WILL LOOSE TOO...
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

justin, thats the only argument from the anti crossbow side that makes any sense at all. to anyone who thinks its any easier to kill with a xbow vs the vertical...well the factual numbers say otherwise. success rates are basically the same anywhere they have been legalized, and im sure thats what we will see here as well. noone knows how many guys will take up bowhunting when this becomes lgal, but there will be some for sure. and within a few years many of them will see that the rumors of easy killing were just that...rumors. then many of those new archery hunters will realize that its not the slam dunk they thought and give it up. some will remain as they will have discovered something new that they like. yes more hunters out there will mean more harvest. how many more hunters remains to be seen, and yes it may mean some changes to available species in some areas. as some of us have said, we are willing to share, and as some of you have said, you are not.
i have been trying to stick with facts in this discussion, but ill throw out an opinion here. i would think that many guys already hunting with a vertical bow would see no reason to switch as most bow guys already know that a xbow is no more effective than a vertical bow. i would suspect that the majority of new xbow hunters will be gun hunters looking for a new opportunity. for most guys, the first few years of bowhunting are a whole lot of learning about things that a lot of gun hunters dont need to worry about. like how to draw a bow when your prey is only 20 yards away and you cant get busted. im not sure how anyone thinks that raising a xbow at the same range is a whole bunch less movement. do you think you have the thing held up in the shooting position all day? also, lets not forget that many guys out there arent interested in killing every animal they have an opportunity at. packhuntr points out my affinity for shooting gophers with my bow as somehow being unsuccessful as a bowhunter. pack, you've seen the pics of the type of buck im interested in. or did you forget about insinuating that im a road hunter? P&Y might consider a 145 mule deer or a 125 whitetail to be a record book worthy trophy....but i dont. my idea of big does not change with the weapon in my hand. im not interested in a small game award which is why i have not shot many of the bucks i have passed. i cant guess how many other guys will fit that description, but they will be there too.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Well, thins is an interesting idea?
Where did this come from?
I'm not about to read the 500 posts. Sorry guys.

I have shot deer and elk with everything including a Crossbow but to class a crossbow as archery is crazy talk. They are two totally different things. IMO

I was hunting in the states and my buddy handed me a Crossbow and said' "Here Jack, use this". So up the tree i went. 20 mins later a whitetail walks out at 50 yards. I raise the Excaliber put the cross hairs on em' touched the trigger and smake dead deer.

Try that with a bow. I don't think its gonna happen partners.
Maybe a later season would be fun.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Haha! Or maybe I work for a living and don't have the time to endlessly regurgitate the same arguments over and over.

Do you guys even have a job? I'd be ****ed if I was your boss!

The one post where I linked to articles and real numbers is more then either of you two have done.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
REAL SMART TO ME KEEP UP ALL YOUR HARD WORK ABANGLER YOU WILL LOOSE TOO...
See ya in bow season!

I'm off to have lunch.

You're mom probably has soup and sandwich ready upstairs.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Hahaha....i'm sure we will. Cruising around in your 1980 Blazer, hacking butts with a crossbow out the window.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hahaha....i'm sure we will. Cruising around in your 1980 Blazer, hacking butts with a crossbow out the window.
Not cool BowhuntAB, please debate properly or don't debate at all.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter69 View Post
Well, thins is an interesting idea?
Where did this come from?
I'm not about to read the 500 posts. Sorry guys.

I have shot deer and elk with everything including a Crossbow but to class a crossbow as archery is crazy talk. They are two totally different things. IMO

I was hunting in the states and my buddy handed me a Crossbow and said' "Here Jack, use this". So up the tree i went. 20 mins later a whitetail walks out at 50 yards. I raise the Excaliber put the cross hairs on em' touched the trigger and smake dead deer.

Try that with a bow. I don't think its gonna happen partners.
Maybe a later season would be fun.
Careful there Elkhunter, your bordering a line of being called a fibber! Certain members here, would say that cause the data the got doesn't support that. They didn't google it, or when they tried they couldn't get past 30, so theres no way you could have done that.....wait do you walk on water????

I would love to see Bowhuntab, pass his bow over to like that and see if i could slam a deer at 50 with his set up, especially im guessing Bowhuntab is probably about 3 inch longer in draw .

Sometimes people cant see the tree, standing in the middle of the forest, Thanx for the sharring your expirence Elkhunter, I think your one of the few that actually has shot and killed a big game animal with a xgun.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
See ya in bow season!

I'm off to have lunch.

Same goes here AbAngler.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Haha! Or maybe I work for a living and don't have the time to endlessly regurgitate the same arguments over and over.

Do you guys even have a job? I'd be ****ed if I was your boss!

The one post where I linked to articles and real numbers is more then either of you two have done.
Yup, and while other people work for me I get paid to distract you....lol
Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM

That is the best line so far Potty mouth. Funny thing is it is true and they make you dinners and lunches. hahahahhah
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
See ya in bow season!

I'm off to have lunch.

That is funny. I bet you know nothing.You are a greedy guy and that is it. I am looking at the big picture not just me me me.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
justin, thats the only argument from the anti crossbow side that makes any sense at all. to anyone who thinks its any easier to kill with a xbow vs the vertical...well the factual numbers say otherwise. success rates are basically the same anywhere they have been legalized, and im sure thats what we will see here as well. noone knows how many guys will take up bowhunting when this becomes lgal, but there will be some for sure. and within a few years many of them will see that the rumors of easy killing were just that...rumors. then many of those new archery hunters will realize that its not the slam dunk they thought and give it up. some will remain as they will have discovered something new that they like. yes more hunters out there will mean more harvest. how many more hunters remains to be seen, and yes it may mean some changes to available species in some areas. as some of us have said, we are willing to share, and as some of you have said, you are not.
i have been trying to stick with facts in this discussion, but ill throw out an opinion here. i would think that many guys already hunting with a vertical bow would see no reason to switch as most bow guys already know that a xbow is no more effective than a vertical bow. i would suspect that the majority of new xbow hunters will be gun hunters looking for a new opportunity. for most guys, the first few years of bowhunting are a whole lot of learning about things that a lot of gun hunters dont need to worry about. like how to draw a bow when your prey is only 20 yards away and you cant get busted. im not sure how anyone thinks that raising a xbow at the same range is a whole bunch less movement. do you think you have the thing held up in the shooting position all day? also, lets not forget that many guys out there arent interested in killing every animal they have an opportunity at. packhuntr points out my affinity for shooting gophers with my bow as somehow being unsuccessful as a bowhunter. pack, you've seen the pics of the type of buck im interested in. or did you forget about insinuating that im a road hunter? P&Y might consider a 145 mule deer or a 125 whitetail to be a record book worthy trophy....but i dont. my idea of big does not change with the weapon in my hand. im not interested in a small game award which is why i have not shot many of the bucks i have passed. i cant guess how many other guys will fit that description, but they will be there too.
There would be alot of guys going to go buy and hunt with them.A guy I know that works at WSS said they sell qite a few of them so I think you are incorrect on the numbers....
Old 04-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is funny. I bet you know nothing.You are a greedy guy and that is it. I am looking at the big picture not just me me me.
Thats what i've been saying.
Seems like most of the guys just want to kill now!!! Who cares about the future! As long as they get a chance to stick a few additional animals now they will deal with the fall out later. That is until everything is on a draw and you have to wait years for a tag. Then these same guys will be sitting there with a blank look on there faces going...."what happened?"
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yup, and while other people work for me I get paid to distract you....lol
Right on. I respect that.

JustinC, I'm the greedy one eh?

Potty, I just haven't seen any proof one way or the other. Google it, yahoo it, I don't care. My google-fu is admittedly weak, so I was hoping someone else would have better luck.

At least try and find examples of archery seasons being wrecked by letting xbows in. I did, and didn't come up with much supporting either argument.

Cheers! Gotta go.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thats what i've been saying.
Seems like most of the guys just want to kill now!!!
Thats completely wrong in my case.

Really gotto go now....