Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Thank you. They are both very capable. I didn't like the 7 I had because of the recoil. The 26 is more expensive to shoot I don't doubt. The sales guy I talked to about mine said I should figure in another $ 0.50 -$0.75 a round for barrel replacement. I'm unsure what the 7mm rm might be.
I just checked the recoil chart and it has the 26 Nosler at 23lbs with a 129gr bullet and the 7mm at 21 with a 175gr bullet, still very close. The 29 nosler is at 29lbs, for comparison the 300wsm with a 180 is at 27lbs.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Awesome rifle Kurt!

I especially like the fact that you went and got exactly what you wanted. Don't feel like you have to justify your decision to anyone. I have never met you but read many of your comments. You seem like a straight up guy who has earned every penny and appreciates quality. Life is too short to worry about what others think. Good on you. You have good taste.

Mitch and Todd are good guys to buy from. They stand behind their stuff and aren't afraid to bring in quality firearms and gear. We often don't appreciate the risk suppliers take in carrying inventory in the hope that the demand is there. The hunting community is fortunate to have independents like Sylvestre's.

Thanks for sharing … like you so often do!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325home View Post
Awesome rifle Kurt!

I especially like the fact that you went and got exactly what you wanted. Don't feel like you have to justify your decision to anyone. I have never met you but read many of your comments. You seem like a straight up guy who has earned every penny and appreciates quality. Life is too short to worry about what others think. Good on you. You have good taste.

Mitch and Todd are good guys to buy from. They stand behind their stuff and aren't afraid to bring in quality firearms and gear. We often don't appreciate the risk suppliers take in carrying inventory in the hope that the demand is there. The hunting community is fortunate to have independents like Sylvestre's.

Thanks for sharing … like you so often do!
Thank you, much appreciated. And again, Mitch and Todd are awesome, what a hidden gem that shop is for sure. Amazing all the quality products they carry and really treat you as if you are a valued customer for sure. I’ll be definitly shopping there more often.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 PM

The best part about threads like this is seeing knew stuff that's out there and getting good info on the how he likes it and all the stuff that will follow up later as he tests it out.

You can go to you tube and get 2 minutes about some guy you don't have clue about so I don't bother with the 2 minute gun guys which could very well be his first rifle.

With Kurt at least we can talk back and forth and see other rifles like NW'S 26 nosler which interests me also.I even said to NW congrat's on your new 26 nosler rifle and he replied I don't have it yet.I think more guys should show some of there new stuff and we all get to learn a bit more about the newer products out there.

I don't think Kurt cares if you spent 500 or 5000 as long as you enjoy what you own.I don't think there's a guy on here who isn't a bit of a gun nut,so it's the best place to show your stuff to others and discuss your own stuff and why you like it.
Some guys spend 10 years fixing up an older car to get there fix and some guys spend a lifetime trying to get the nicest rifle he can own which I think is bang on and everyone is different with what they consider to be a very nice rifle .

Beat's the hell out of 6 month's of creedmoor threads and charts,which I finally broke down and purchased one for my grandson which he really enjoys.Hell I would close my eyes at night and see creedmoor letters in my sleep.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
The best part about threads like this is seeing knew stuff that's out there and getting good info on the how he likes it and all the stuff that will follow up later as he tests it out.

You can go to you tube and get 2 minutes about some guy you don't have clue about so I don't bother with the 2 minute gun guys which could very well be his first rifle.

With Kurt at least we can talk back and forth and see other rifles like NW'S 26 nosler which interests me also.I even said to NW congrat's on your new 26 nosler rifle and he replied I don't have it yet.I think more guys should show some of there new stuff and we all get to learn a bit more about the newer products out there.

I don't think Kurt cares if you spent 500 or 5000 as long as you enjoy what you own.I don't think there's a guy on here who isn't a bit of a gun nut,so it's the best place to show your stuff to others and discuss your own stuff and why you like it.
Some guys spend 10 years fixing up an older car to get there fix and some guys spend a lifetime trying to get the nicest rifle he can own which I think is bang on and everyone is different with what they consider to be a very nice rifle .

Beat's the hell out of 6 month's of creedmoor threads and charts,which I finally broke down and purchased one for my grandson which he really enjoys.Hell I would close my eyes at night and see creedmoor letters in my sleep.
I like seeing pics and hearing reviews on all sorts of outdoor equipment and I think the more there is out there the better for consumers. I always thought my first high end rifle was going to be a Jarrett, never thought it would be a Gunwerks.

I gotta say that so far everything about this purchase is positive, absolutely no regrets. Talk about sweet being able to just make a quick phone call and have the load data emailed to me! That right there saves me a few hundred dollars between components and fuel.

I’m going to try out the 168 Hunting VLD’s first, they seem like a good combination bullet for both having a decent point blank range and a a high BC long range bullet. I like calling Gunwerks, talking to a human and hearing things like, “Call me here at this number, I’m your guy if you got any questions I’ll fix you up”.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Banned

Did they give you a load for the 180 hybrids? The 168’s might be pretty good all around
Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Did they give you a load for the 180 hybrids? The 168’s might be pretty good all around
I only asked for the 168’s but they said they have a load for the 180’s, I just have call and ask. Really friendly guy on the phone for sure. The load data the provide is so detailed too, it’s great.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
All I have ever shot out of my 7LRM is the 180 hybrids with H1000. This combination works well
Old 01-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
All I have ever shot out of my 7LRM is the 180 hybrids with H1000. This combination works well
Ya I have a box I never used, so if Kurt doesn’t have the desired results with the 168, I have both 180’s for him
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Banned

I think those 168's will shine. If I had a 7 that's what I'd be interested in.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 PM
Banned

Jd I hope what I replied wasn't taken as a slight. If it was my apologies. I think that was when was horned up about the mesa that I couldn't get because .CA doesn't make them in 26 nosler. Everything but.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Jd I hope what I replied wasn't taken as a slight. If it was my apologies. I think that was when was horned up about the mesa that I couldn't get because .CA doesn't make them in 26 nosler. Everything but.

Thanks.
Hell no every thing is good NW,If I can remember right you were after the 26 nosler made by Christensen Arms in the mesa and I made the mistake,either way it's all good.Cold here tonight outside Winnipeg,them lakes will make some ice in places.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hell no every thing is good NW,If I can remember right you were after the 26 nosler made by Christensen Arms in the mesa and I made the mistake,either way it's all good.Cold here tonight outside Winnipeg,them lakes will make some ice in places.
Cold here to. Looking at 6 cow elk and 1 spiker bull out in my hay field.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Banned

Might have some 168’s laying around here. I’m not sure how they’ll work in my brothers 7mm wby. For some reason I don’t think they will.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Might have some 168’s laying around here. I’m not sure how they’ll work in my brothers 7mm wby. For some reason I don’t think they will.
If he has a 10 twist or faster they should work fine. The barrel on the Gunwerks is a 1:8 so I should be able to use even the 195 extremes with no problems.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If he has a 10 twist or faster they should work fine. The barrel on the Gunwerks is a 1:8 so I should be able to use even the 195 extremes with no problems.
More worried about the free bore and getting them seated out far enough.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:

So as long as we are talking about what you like you’re happy. Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
More worried about the free bore and getting them seated out far enough.
My gunwerks will take the 215gr bergers seated to the lands with a little room to spare
Old 01-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So as long as we are talking about what you like you’re happy. Laughing.
Beats
Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What kinda of velocity are you getting from the 7lrm with 180's.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
What kinda of velocity are you getting from the 7lrm with 180's.
3155 but that’s with a 31” 8 twist barrel.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

Default Range update...

Was able to do some shooting today, had a blast.

I don’t have the adaptor for my dies to seat the Berger’s properly so I only loaded up ten 168gr VLD’s that they gave me the load data for, plus I don’t have a bullet comparator yet either so I just loaded a few to see how they would turn out. I had a bunch of 162gr eldx’s I loaded up with some r26 as well.

I loaded 50 rounds all together, 10 VLD’s and 40 ELDX’s.

Here is the first 6 shots getting it on paper then close to zero. Well there’s one shot you cant see, it’s just at the very top of the target.

Then here is my 4 shot group, it would have been 5 but I ran out of those bullets. You can see the shot in the top right hand corner that wasn’t visible in the first pic.

I don’t smoke anymore but I still have lighters kicking around for starting fires and reference

I worked my way up to 69.5gr of r26 with no signs of pressure whatsoever, I think I can keep going up. All in all I’m totally impressed with the performance so far, I don’t think it’ll be too hard to find a happy spot with the ELDX bullets either.

Here’s all 50 shots.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Banned

No comparator, no seating stem... Kurt Kurt Kurt lol
Looks like lots of promise!
What kind of es were you getting with your best groups?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

How does it shoot otherwise? Feels pretty good?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
No comparator, no seating stem... Kurt Kurt Kurt lol
Looks like lots of promise!
What kind of es were you getting with your best groups?
I never shot bergers before, didn’t really need it till now.

Not sure, batteries died after the first few shots, I think it was around 20fps because I wasn’t paying too much attention at the time, more excited about just shooting the new gun I think
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
How does it shoot otherwise? Feels pretty good?
Feels great, awesome trigger, no recoil with that brake, cycles really nice, wife says it’s loud from the deck of the cabin but I didn’t notice with my ear plugs. I can’t wait to stretch it out!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

Good deal
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Glad you took the plunge. Sweet looking rig that looks like it will shoot! Hope the knee is progressing!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Was able to do some shooting today, had a blast.

I don’t have the adaptor for my dies to seat the Berger’s properly so I only loaded up ten 168gr VLD’s that they gave me the load data for, plus I don’t have a bullet comparator yet either so I just loaded a few to see how they would turn out. I had a bunch of 162gr eldx’s I loaded up with some r26 as well.

I loaded 50 rounds all together, 10 VLD’s and 40 ELDX’s.

Here is the first 6 shots getting it on paper then close to zero. Well there’s one shot you cant see, it’s just at the very top of the target.

Then here is my 4 shot group, it would have been 5 but I ran out of those bullets. You can see the shot in the top right hand corner that wasn’t visible in the first pic.

I don’t smoke anymore but I still have lighters kicking around for starting fires and reference

I worked my way up to 69.5gr of r26 with no signs of pressure whatsoever, I think I can keep going up. All in all I’m totally impressed with the performance so far, I don’t think it’ll be too hard to find a happy spot with the ELDX bullets either.

Here’s all 50 shots.

Nice nice group on your top left target! Its always nice to have them come together like that once in a while.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Glad you took the plunge. Sweet looking rig that looks like it will shoot! Hope the knee is progressing!
Slowly but surely. Was a good workout today walking back and forth to the target through the snow, probably going to pay for it tomorrow.