Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
AO is just a small cross section of all Albertans who hunt and competivly target shoot .
Also, of all the members registered a very small portion have actually participated in those threads .
Cat
And this place does not exist without participants. There are a few guys here that drive a high volume of traffic and get an awful lot of grief for it.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
No way Charlie, i even used a hug emoji and i truly ment it, put your anger in a bubble and bloooooooow it all away friend
Charlie?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And this place does not exist without participants. There are a few guys here that drive a high volume of traffic and get an awful lot of grief for it.
You gotta consider the source of the grief, seriously. In all honesty there are guys who know their stuff and guys who don’t, it’s not hard to tell the difference between the two. I’d feel bad if I got beat up on here by guys like Cat or Dick284, but most of the guys that give me grief are at the other end of the information spectrum and don’t bother me at all.

For the record, almost 10years on board and I have never reported a post to a mod. If it ever comes to a point that I feel offended I think I would just log off. Hasn’t happened yet
Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 AM

Ye Ha, the Fake 30 cal MoreCreed will be rocking the 400, 800, and hopefully 1 k targets tomorrow. The lowest BC & SD 125gr Boolitz that aren't suppose to work. LOL. The bets are placed pretty high on this shoot-off.

My friend bet me his Temiscaming Quebec coffee cup,,, against my White Tail ammo pouch. LOL.

Pretty sure the cup is mine if I bunker down behind the factory Remmy with the plastic rubber stock and crappy trigger.

If I can get a 10 shot group into the 10" pie plate at 800 meters,,, and 12" cake pan at the K,,, then I become this year's "First Place last Loser King of the 2018 bush camp shoot-off." Ha.
They won't let me wear the Crusty the Clown costume since it might hamper things,,, did you know that its challanging shooting a fake 30 caliber MoreCreed with size 18 clown shoes. LOL.

Yeppy, bring on the good times before we head East.

I hope I remember to dial the heavy hitters once we rap things up.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
did you know that its challanging shooting a fake 30 caliber MoreCreed
Nonono. Keep calling it 308 WinEveryTime
Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Just chambered another 6.5 creed 2 days ago, shot factory horn pre ision hunter 143 eldx 5 shot groups between .120 and .4 moa, off a bipod and rear bag. One thing guys seem to be missing is that one big benefit is being able to run 140 class bullets in an aics magazine. To do that in a short action in my 260ai i am crowding powder column. Every creed i have built has shot incredibly well. Their are lots of companies offering good quality brass for it. Im not a huge creed fanboy but i cant deny that it works well, and is inherantly accurate.
Rob's post bears repeating. A guy who has more experience, with more different rifles, than almost anyone on AO and for sure this thread. Objective.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The grief sometimes comes from when the AO elitists sound like pompous know it alls to get their oh so special points across to the members that arent as up to speed on some things.

Its called delivery. And if it sucks.... Well.......
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM

Ha, yes,,, the ooooooold tool Tree Oh 8

Pretty trusty old rig so long as I bunker down to shoot it.
I pretend it's my 6mm Remington 700 heavy barrel when engaging critical situations when the dangers Sabertooth Pine Martens are closing in on my location.

Fully battle ready is always a good plan. Ha.

The 9' Pine Martin's are the worst.

Bang Bang Bang Bang
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The grief sometimes comes from when the AO elitists sound like pompous know it alls to get their oh so special points across to the members that arent as up to speed on some things.

Its called delivery. And if it sucks.... Well.......
Life is hard I know.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Life is hard I know.
Good thing this isn’t life. To some it is. Sad...

#itsjustariflecartridge
Old 11-30-2018, 11:37 AM

The ironic thing about the entire Creedmoor discussion, is that for many people, it has nothing to do with the cartridge itself. Some people that own the cartridge don't have a clue about the technical aspects of the cartridge, they simply bought a factory rifle, and factory loads, because they thought that they needed to climb on the bandwagon. Other people, like myself, don't really have anything against the actual cartridge, we are just tired of hearing about the supposed magical qualities of the cartridge, when the fact is that most of the people that rant on about these magical qualities, are the ones that jumped on the bandwagon, without much clue about the technical aspects of the cartridge.

The Creedmoor discussion actually reminds me of the Huskemaw discussion.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-30-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Life is hard I know.
Please explain without being so sarcastic ,which is about 90 percent of your responses for no reason at all.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Please explain without being so sarcastic ,which is about 90 percent of your responses for no reason at all.
Why do I have to keep explaining things to you?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fortunately I believe he knows something. Unfortunately the personality of a willknot shines thru. For this ŕeason I will agree to disagree.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Why do I have to keep explaining things to you?
So far you have explained nothing so now your telling fibs, so the explaining is for the rest of the crowd on many sarcastic comments you give to members who aren't trying to pick a fight.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Well as I’m sitting in my hunting blind with my wife on the last day of hunting season, I had time to read all 8 pages of this thread.
The reason I bought a 6.5CM was I could find a 260 rem or 6.5 Swiss in LH for my wife. But I did find a LH Browning xbolt In 6.5 CM. So that’s whats she runs. As for is it better then other rounds, it me it just a tool to put food one the table and have some fun putting holes paper.
Each to there own I guess.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 PM

It's interesting that people can get so upset or defensive about calibers. Given that this is AO, I would guess that on the most basic level, we all love shooting guns. Big ones, little ones.

If I win lotto max I'd have tons of guns, fancy english s/s shotguns, even a creedmoor. Lots and lots of guns of all kinds of calibers.

And I'd get to quit my job and spend hours shooting and hunting with all kinds of guns big and small, wood, synthetic, stainless, camouflaged....

More guns please.

Anywhoo, carry on....
Old 11-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
So far you have explained nothing so now your telling fibs, so the explaining is for the rest of the crowd on many sarcastic comments you give to members who aren't trying to pick a fight.
What am I explaining? Why life is hard? You want the truth? Or the fairies and pixie dust version?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
What am I explaining? Why life is hard? You want the truth? Or the fairies and pixie dust version?

laughing haha.:sHa_sarc asticlol:
Old 11-30-2018, 04:58 PM

I wasn't going to post this,,, but what the heck,,, its our AO FORUM,,, why not share in the good times no matter where the chips may fall !!!

Purhaps it's the way the message is delivered.

Sometimes humans read into things, a take away from this is Jack O'Connor vers Elmer Keith.

Jack didn't directly say that the 270 Winchester was the best,,, yes he did state that it might be the "best" altunirive to firearms in its class,,, but thats were buck stopped.

Elmer Keith could of read into Jack's writings.

Jack knew that he'd run into opposition from the masses if he used the incorrect words in his articals,,, so he choose his words wizely,,, that way he had an out with no skin in the game.

Clever move one would think.

But what would I know about this with a grade 2 education.

Sometimes things aren't what they are, this is not saying that sometimes they are,,, purhaps the trick is to let people decide for them selves,,, offering small suggestions,,, blips of what might be along with possibilities of unknowns. Ha.

This is sometimes done with "I" since that offers a powerful message,,, of course it's in the art of timing with its delivery... Could, Should, and Would are powerful words,,, there is a time when to,,, and not to,,, use them.

Again, I reinforce my earlier statement that I "could" be wrong,,, see how that changes the tied. LOL

Each word has its place,,, I only wish I "could" use words for proper Manitoba English.

It most likely will never happen, oh well,,, at least I tried,,, that's what really counts.

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine cartrage, with a good design,,, it offers benefits to its self that make it stand out in its related categories of its peers like the 260 Remington, 6.5-lapua, 6.5 Swed, 6.5x47, 6.5x51,,, 52,,, 55,,, and even the 56,,, 57 with compatible messeruments in some categories. Depending on the person or persons needs and wants.

Don't get me wrong my friends,,, there are some mighty fine cartrages in todays market,,, that's what really counts,,, a world of endless possibilities for each shooter in each category of something that best suits,,, wait,,, wait,,,, "here is the delivery",,, THEIR NEEDS. Ha.

See how smooth that went,,, no claim to fame, no admitting that something stands out "better" then.

All humans put up walls when words like "The best" show up,,, "better then",,, "you should",,, "I'll tell you",,, "listen here",,, and the famous "that's the way it is".

Let's not forget that there are 1000's of combinations of words that draw out "opposition" responses in what we type,,, or say,,, its nice to have spaces for that allows today's humans to "absorb" what might be, being said. Hopefully humans don't read into what we say or write.
If they do, let's own our faults, clear them up and move on.

The older generation of teachers hate this since some of us don't have proper English or writing skill,,, I happen to be that person,,, at least I try my best.

Proper Canadian English is hard to learn,,, its way easier in Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, and Nebraska where my family comes from,,, alot less words yha know.

Simple direct down there, its bland but works, why add more when it waist time, Eastern folks are simple, to the point,,, Yuppers. Suppose it is.

That's my take on things behind the scenes,,, tonight I get to read Mark Twain,,, I also like studying Ernest Hemingway's writings,,, did you know that Earnest has some of America's greatest literary writings todate.

A Big thanks to my Good friend L Miller for introducing me to English language at the age of 42 years young,,, who da thunk that a simple country pumpkin like me would ever be able to communicate with humans.

He told me that if I stay the course,,, I could become the Prime Minister of Canada,,, I'm not sure if that was a humbling jester or a joke,,, only time will tell since my horizon is bright blue skies on dark cloudy moon lite nights with the sounds of Wolves that surround me.

Wow,,, maybe this is one of my greatest works,,, Ha.

Not

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 11-30-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Team Pie Hole shoots here.
You should make t-shirts. I'd buy one
Old 11-30-2018, 05:55 PM

^^^ X's 2

That's my plan,,, first I need to finish off the Long Range heavy barrel,,, then join in on the good times.

I can't wait to give a Granola-Moor a run for my money.

Id use it for plinking fore sure,,, purhaps the boolitz will be frugal priced in bulk. Ha

Nothing like having another 5 gallon pale of powder in the gun room.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The ironic thing about the entire Creedmoor discussion, is that for many people, it has nothing to do with the cartridge itself. Some people that own the cartridge don't have a clue about the technical aspects of the cartridge, they simply bought a factory rifle, and factory loads, because they thought that they needed to climb on the bandwagon. Other people, like myself, don't really have anything against the actual cartridge, we are just tired of hearing about the supposed magical qualities of the cartridge, when the fact is that most of the people that rant on about these magical qualities, are the ones that jumped on the bandwagon, without much clue about the technical aspects of the cartridge.

X2. Creed guys remind me of fanatical hockey fans ( read Montreal fans......)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

So where is all the discussion of “magical qualities” that you speak of?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2018, 07:26 PM

This thread reminds me of an ancient saying

" Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something'

Plato (ca428-348 BC Greek Philosopher
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 PM

I've been contemplating a 6.5 as a long range gun but still need something that I would carry for hunting.

Not hung up on CM but I would look at something in that neighbourhood.
It would see a lot of rounds through it so barrel life is important.
Brass availability is another concern with the current shortages that was not an issue at one time. Almost regret re-barreling an STW
260 Rem, CM or others?
Currently there are lots of guns chambered in CM like the Tikka compact tactical that is short and light.
I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks,
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Banned

I have a 24” proof carbon on order for a 6.5 Grendel chassis project with research telling me AR’s see 5000 rounds and they for sure have plenty of barrel eating mag dumps. By all accounts with a bolt action and the proof carbons ability to deal with heat, should be able to shoot all day and get 5000+ but your big game limit might be 400 yards, coyotes and steel to 1000 if you like. It was developed as a 200-800 yard cartridge to whoop the .223/556 butt in range and lethality, goal achieved. Keep that velocity down to get that barrel life up. A 6.5 CM running 147 eldm is the next best choice imo and big game range goes up a couple hundred yards easy. Imo
Old 11-30-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I have a 24” proof carbon on order for a 6.5 Grendel chassis project with research telling me AR’s see 5000 rounds and they for sure have plenty of barrel eating mag dumps. By all accounts with a bolt action and the proof carbons ability to deal with heat, should be able to shoot all day and get 5000+ but your big game limit might be 400 yards, coyotes and steel to 1000 if you like. It was developed as a 200-800 yard cartridge to whoop the .223/556 butt in range and lethality, goal achieved. Keep that velocity down to get that barrel life up. A 6.5 CM running 147 eldm is the next best choice imo and big game range goes up a couple hundred yards easy. Imo
but just because the cartridge has the wind drift and the energy ability, the shooter still needs to be able to hit the vitals.... some people shouldnt shoot past 100 yards.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
but just because the cartridge has the wind drift and the energy ability, the shooter still needs to be able to hit the vitals.... some people shouldnt shoot past 100 yards.
We are well past this and that is obvious af, we can start a thread about shooter ability, I won’t be on it because that’s a self trainer if not educated properly initially. Anyway, what I generally recommend will help people shoot cartridges far more likely they will shoot well. So we are all good brah.✌️