Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
That wasn't the question ..
It is my question to you. I answered your question.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM

..and the reason for your question was ...... ?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Two completely different cartridges at different ends of the spectrum .
Just about as equal as saying the moose is moving through thick tangle at 30 feet And you have a 9-36x on the 10 pound Nosler or irons on the '94!
Cat
Well if we can pick which angle we have to take the shot I just figured we can also pick the cartridge used, seeing how it is a 30cal vs a 7mm.

When I started this thread I used an example of two equal cases, one loaded with a 6.5 and one loaded with a 308, then listed the ballistic data using optimum bullet weights for each caliber and it was clear which caliber had better performance with less recoil.

Apples to apples if the same recoil is factored in, you'll get more performance out of the 6.5 and 7mm than the 30cal.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
..and the reason for your question was ...... ?
It's a 7mm vs a 30cal, same as your question, which by the way I answered.

You don't want to answer it?

Why not?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Well if we can pick which angle we have to take the shot I just figured we can also pick the cartridge used, seeing how it is a 30cal vs a 7mm.

When I started this thread I used an example of two equal cases, one loaded with a 6.5 and one loaded with a 308, then listed the ballistic data using optimum bullet weights for each caliber and it was clear which caliber had better performance with less recoil.

Apples to apples if the same recoil is factored in, you'll get more performance out of the 6.5 and 7mm than the 30cal.
I am not about to go out and buy a new rifle just because the figures say one is better than the other
I have never seen a difference in anything I have ever shot or anybody else has shot unless the shot itself was a bad one ,
All animals died the same from elk with a 6.5x47 to moose with a 303anf the big magnums

The only reason I might choose s specific cartridge for a rifle is in a competition rifle where milimeters and recoil will make make the difference in a ten or 15 shot score or where a specific cartridge is mandatory
Cat
Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
It's a 7mm vs a 30cal, same as your question, which by the way I answered.

You don't want to answer it?

Why not?
He wants to be the one to control the questions, so that he can tailor the question to provide the answer that supports his position. It's pretty much like the way a government words polls, in an attempt to have people arrive at the answers that they want to hear.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He wants to be the one to control the questions, so that he can tailor the question to provide the answer that supports his position. It's pretty much like the way a government words polls, in an attempt to have people arrive at the answers that they want to hear.
Humor me Elk .. please answer the question ..please !
Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Humor me Elk .. please answer the question ..please !

There is no possible way that I would be carrying a 35 whelen, it's not a cartridge that I would ever consider hunting with. I would be carrying my 7mmstw for big animals. I would drive a 150gr TTSX through the animal, and get my tag on it, and then start the work of dressing it out. And that 150gr TTSX would also work just fine on that elk at 480 yards in the open field that Kurt is asking about. And I would only be using a 150gr TTSX, because my current rifle prefers the 150gr TTSX over the 140gr TTSX.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 AM

and round and round we go ...
Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am not about to go out and buy a new rifle just because the figures say one is better than the other
I have never seen a difference in anything I have ever shot or anybody else has shot unless the shot itself was a bad one ,
All animals died the same from elk with a 6.5x47 to moose with a 303anf the big magnums

The only reason I might choose s specific cartridge for a rifle is in a competition rifle where milimeters and recoil will make make the difference in a ten or 15 shot score or where a specific cartridge is mandatory
Cat
Totally understandable but.......

My point is that with new bullet technology a 6.5 or 7mm bullet will give you 30cal knock down power without 30cal recoil. Nothing more.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
and round and round we go ...
You STILL haven't answered my question
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
With the advancement in bullets these days, particularly in the 6.5 and 7mm catergory, extremely high BC's and controlled expansion, more and more I think the 30cal is becoming obsolete in terms of hunting.

Am I wrong in thinking less is becoming more in terms of modern cartridges?
This is you first post. No mention of recoil that I can see. The apples have gone bad by now, to say the least.
To answer your question, the 30 cal is no more obsolete now, than it was when you first posted. Short answers sometimes are better.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
With the advancement in bullets these days, particularly in the 6.5 and 7mm catergory, extremely high BC's and controlled expansion, more and more I think the 30cal is becoming obsolete in terms of hunting.

Am I wrong in thinking less is becoming more in terms of modern cartridges?

Yes I agree, you are wrong. See, now it has been definitively answered in favour of what you first asked.

Could have saved 161 posts, but what fun would that be.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Nothing to get a guys day started off right better, than a cup of coffee and reading a 5 page pi$$ing match over 0.024 of an inch.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
This is you first post. No mention of recoil that I can see. The apples have gone bad by now, to say the least.
To answer your question, the 30 cal is no more obsolete now, than it was when you first posted. Short answers sometimes are better.
Does it matter if it was in my first post or my third?

Facts are facts, and the 6.5 out performs the 308 at equal ft/lbs of recoil. I can tell you're butt hurt by the ballistics I posted, and that's what makes good discussions. Guys have their favorite gun, I understand this but it doesn't change facts.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes I agree, you are wrong. See, now it has been definitively answered in favour of what you first asked.

Could have saved 161 posts, but what fun would that be.
You're right, but it's not based on performance, it's based on preference.

I will say this, knowing what I know, experiencing my experiences, and seeing first hand the performance of all three calibers, the 30cal has in fact become obsolete in my safe.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default To each their own.

Quote:
Does it matter if it was in my first post or my third?

Facts are facts, and the 6.5 out performs the 308 at equal ft/lbs of recoil. I can tell you're butt hurt by the ballistics I posted, and that's what makes good discussions. Guys have their favorite gun, I understand this but it doesn't change facts.
No hurt butt here , as not the first time people have seen these ballistics. If that is the deciding factor for you, on what gun you use, that's great. In the forty years of hunting I don't think any animal I shot new what bullet hit him. I shoot 284 Win, and 6.5 MS as well as about 2 dozen others. Obsolete to me means no longer available. Whatever a person likes. Your question has been asked and answered several times, as the question changes, so have the answers.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You're right, but it's not based on performance, it's based on preference.

I will say this, knowing what I know, experiencing my experiences, and seeing first hand the performance of all three calibers, the 30cal has in fact become obsolete in my safe.
You are completely right again. Preference is the reason you are wrong and have been from the outset. VHS won over Beta, Windows won over Unix, gas BBQs won over Charcoal, all based on preference. THAT is the DEFINITION of obsolescence, not which is better in technical arguments.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
No hurt butt here , as not the first time people have seen these ballistics. If that is the deciding factor for you, on what gun you use, that's great. In the forty years of hunting I don't think any animal I shot new what bullet hit him. I shoot 284 Win, and 6.5 MS as well as about 2 dozen others. Obsolete to me means no longer available. Whatever a person likes. Your question has been asked and answered several times, as the question changes, so have the answers.

It's -17, moderate wind blowing, light snow. I'm at my cabin sitting in my long johns, drinking coffee looking outside trying to talk myself into going outside and trying out some loads I made up for a ........ .257cal gun I have.

This thread is helping me pass the time while I build up the ambition to go outside and play. I know there is no way the 30cal will ever become obsolete, but it sure is a thought provoking statement!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
A bull elk is in the middle of a field, you range it at 480yds, you have a 30-30 and a Nosler 28...... which gun do you use?
These days if I'm carrying a rifle (instead of a bow), it's most likely a Win 94 in .30-30. So on that scenario I'd have to stalk in another 300+ yards, predict where the elk will exit the field, or watch him walk away - which is exactly the challenge I want! As much as I love wild game meat in the freezer, it's the experience of hunting I'm after. I have absolutely no interest in pulling the trigger on an animal that is 480 yards away.

Quote:
It's -17, moderate wind blowing, light snow. I'm at my cabin sitting in my long johns, drinking coffee looking outside trying to talk myself into going outside and trying out some loads I made up for a ........ .257cal gun I have.

This thread is helping me pass the time while I build up the ambition to go outside and play. I know there is no way the 30cal will ever become obsolete, but it sure is a thought provoking statement!!!
but you started post 1 by saying

I think the 30cal is becoming obsolete in terms of hunting.

Glad I scrolled to the end to see how this ended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE View Post
Nothing to get a guys day started off right better, than a cup of coffee and reading a 5 page pi$$ing match over 0.024 of an inch.
Lol.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
but you started post 1 by saying

I think the 30cal is becoming obsolete in terms of hunting.

Glad I scrolled to the end to see how this ended
Do you think we would have hit 6 pages if I didn't?

LOL!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Well Salavee I did take a shot as you describe. It was at a ranged 734 yds with my 300 RUM. Buck was quartered hard. Placed a 215 Berger at the last rib and exited center of off side shoulder. Deer never even blinked was DRT! Devastating performance. I will say there was lots of meat loss. I have never seen anything like it. The 215 Berger is a hammer.
The right tool for the right job. Well done !
Old 03-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
These days if I'm carrying a rifle (instead of a bow), it's most likely a Win 94 in .30-30. So on that scenario I'd have to stalk in another 300+ yards, predict where the elk will exit the field, or watch him walk away - which is exactly the challenge I want! As much as I love wild game meat in the freezer, it's the experience of hunting I'm after. I have absolutely no interest in pulling the trigger on an animal that is 480 yards away.
Ya, well you can't alter the scinario, thems da rulz.

I wouldn't aim for a shoulder either, I understand how you feel.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Ya, well you can't alter the scinario, thems da rulz.

I wouldn't aim for a shoulder either, I understand how you feel.
I'm confused - did I alter the scenario?

Last edited by jkav; 03-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
The right tool for the right job. Well done !

A bull elk is in the middle of a field, you range it at 480yds, you have a 30-30 and a Nosler 28...... which gun do you use?

Don't want to answer the question?

How come?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
I'm confused - did I alter the scenario?
Ya, you snuck in closer.

I was given a scinario and wasn't even allowed to wait for a proper shot angle so you're going to have to answer the question as if there is no other option other than 30-30 or Nosler 28.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Ya, you snuck in closer.

I was given a scinario and wasn't even allowed to wait for a proper shot angle so you're going to have to answer the question as if there is no other option other than 30-30 or Nosler 28.
The scenario you described was what I answered. If you'd like to include other limitations after the fact, have at 'er. This is a silly game and I'm out.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Obsolete might have been a bit of a strong word. "Unnecessary" may be more appropriate...