Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-12-2016, 08:05 AM

Default Dress Codes at 3D shoots?

Seeing more and more shoots with dress codes at 3D shoots, down to shoes, fleece pants, some other shoots no camoflauge...whats next suit and tie...lol

I completely understand safety issues, inappropriate sayings on t-shirts and pretige at national shoots,etc

But at 3D shoots at a local level, where is that line drawn?

Thoughts?

Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Archery Canada wants to get rid of all connection to hunting.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 AM

I honestly didn't know there was an official dress codes other than at National and World events.

I do know the names of the classes were recently changed and the word "hunting" and even the "Hunter" class as an official class were changed/removed.

Most other club shoots the attire would be up to the club, and the ones I know have not set out any specific "dress code".

LC
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I honestly didn't know there was an official dress codes other than at National and World events.

I do know the names of the classes were recently changed and the word "hunting" and even the "Hunter" class as an official class were changed/removed.

Most other club shoots the attire would be up to the club, and the ones I know have not set out any specific "dress code".

LC
At the 2016 Archery Alberta Provincial Indoor 3D Championships
Feb 20 & 21, 2016

on poster it states "Quote"

Dress Code in effect following Archery Alberta rules

Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default dress code

I was wondering WTH that meant myself. Does everyone need a team shooting jersey, pleated black pants and dress shoes now? lol. Not sure what it is but it sounds pretty stupid. At a club level there should be some feed back to archery Canada, and at and organizational level such as the ABA there should also be some pushback/feedback to not let the reference of hunting be phased out. If you make it too formal you can bet you will see attendance/interest drop and the atmosphere change, the target guys are hard enough to put up with already relax. Lefty, we leave it up to you!!! lol
Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Really ? This sounds to ridiculous to be true but its not April 1st or onion news.
Definitely a deal breaker for most people I know if that's the case.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM

Game Country Archers
Is proud to be hosting the
2016 Archery Alberta Provincial Indoor 3D Championships
Feb 20 & 21, 2016

All Non Archery Alberta members welcome and eligible for GCA tournament medals and cash events but not Alberta Provincial medals.
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Two Rounds of 20 Targets on Saturday
One Round of 20 Targets on Sunday
Grand Prix Saturday night (Cash prize $250)
Steel Deer Shoot Saturday night (Cash prize $250)
Registration & Bow Check: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Feb 19
or 7:00 AM – 9:00 AM Feb 20 (for late arrivals).
All age divisions (Pee-Wee to Masters 60+)
All Equipment Divisions
Dress Code in effect following Archery Alberta rules
1st Shooting Line starts at:
8:00 am on Saturday, 8:00 am on Sunday
COSTS
Adult - (21yrs & over) $60.00
Junior - (20yrs & younger) $40.00
Cadet - (17yrs & younger) $30.00
Cubs - (14yrs & younger) $25.00
Pre Cub - (12yrs & younger) $20.00
Pee Wee - (9yrs & younger) $10.00
Family - (maximum of 2 adults) $130.00
Age as of Dec 31, 2016
Special 3D Provincial Archery rates apply at our preferred hotels.

PREGISTRATION, HOTEL LINKS & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS TOURNAMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE AT OUR WEBSITE
www.gamecountryarchers.com AFTER JAN 15, 2016.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM

That is really disappointing that the archery world will continue to split like this. Question have we started to see hunting type sponsor pull sponsorship at these type of events that want to remove hunting association? Will there be a drop in numbers attending?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

How sad.

I would never support this type of event. It's like they're trying to impress peta.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Archery Canada wants to get rid of all connection to hunting.
Do you think Archery Canada remembers that us Bow Hunters are the first to encourage someone to give archery a try either for fun (i.e target) or to hunt. How many of us have encourage people to pick up the bow even though that person will probably never hunt.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
I was wondering WTH that meant myself. Does everyone need a team shooting jersey, pleated black pants and dress shoes now? lol. Not sure what it is but it sounds pretty stupid. At a club level there should be some feed back to archery Canada, and at and organizational level such as the ABA there should also be some pushback/feedback to not let the reference of hunting be phased out. If you make it too formal you can bet you will see attendance/interest drop and the atmosphere change, the target guys are hard enough to put up with already relax. Lefty, we leave it up to you!!! lol
It was this direction that inspired the ABA 3D shoots and created 3D shoots back for the bowhunter to enjoy and have fun... while incorperating the reality bowhunting practice of the 3D shoot.

Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM

It used to be even jeans were disallowed. Now they are allowed... look at Vegas shoot where almost everyone is in jeans....

They even banned camouflage years ago except for rain gear and only if necessary... i.e. raining.

I no longer call it archery I call it judgery... because it is all about the judges...

Instead of assisting archers they find everything they can to hinder archers especially here in Alberta.

I compare our shoots to Vegas where there are thousands of dollars on the line and you are encouraged not to change targets unless you absolutely have to because it is impossible to call arrows... to here where you have to mark arrow holes, and if you have a black hole in center of target they change it automatically because it is an "aiming aid"

Just my little rant and why although I am an Archery Alberta member for insurance purposes through our junior program. Why I hate the direction they are taking.

when it comes to archery it should not matter what you are wearing or whether the target you are shooting at is paper, fur or foam, it should only matter that it is #1 safe and #2 fun
Old 01-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Most target archers have always seemed to be people that have sat on a full quiver.

Fortunately they are few in number and can easily be dealt with when major Bowhunting sponsors pull money from their paper-shoots. We know that as bowhunters, our money drives the industry. Perhaps a letter to the bow company of your choice, along with a suggestion not to support any event that bans camouflage. Time to deal with the princesses.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
It used to be even jeans were disallowed. Now they are allowed... look at Vegas shoot where almost everyone is in jeans....

They even banned camouflage years ago except for rain gear and only if necessary... i.e. raining.

I no longer call it archery I call it judgery... because it is all about the judges...

Instead of assisting archers they find everything they can to hinder archers especially here in Alberta.

I compare our shoots to Vegas where there are thousands of dollars on the line and you are encouraged not to change targets unless you absolutely have to because it is impossible to call arrows... to here where you have to mark arrow holes, and if you have a black hole in center of target they change it automatically because it is an "aiming aid"

Just my little rant and why although I am an Archery Alberta member for insurance purposes through our junior program. Why I hate the direction they are taking.

when it comes to archery it should not matter what you are wearing or whether the target you are shooting at is paper, fur or foam, it should only matter that it is #1 safe and #2 fun
Well said Sir
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Most target archers have always seemed to be people that have sat on a full quiver.

Fortunately they are few in number and can easily be dealt with when major Bowhunting sponsors pull money from their paper-shoots. We know that as bowhunters, our money drives the industry. Perhaps a letter to the bow company of your choice, along with a suggestion not to support any event that bans camouflage. Time to deal with the princesses.
Outstanding point..lol
Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM

My bow is camo..... Can I use it?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
My bow is camo..... Can I use it?
Haven't heard that specifically here...but I thought there was a body in the U.S. that dis-allows camo anything.

LC
Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Seeing more and more shoots with dress codes at 3D shoots, down to shoes, fleece pants, some other shoots no camoflauge...whats next suit and tie...lol
The dress code might be going a bit too far, but ....

Sweat pants are for shinny hockey, slowpitch, etc.
You couldn't pay me to wear the things to a place where I'm not sweating.
Wifey told my son that sweat pants are 'girl repellant'......... unless you're sweating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Hbu4Z4pGI

Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

3D shoots were inventd by bowhunters for fun and practice...slowly target archers somehow took over and took archery out of bowhunting..to the point of shunning us...thats why we re-invented the ABA [Alberta Bowhunter Association] shoots before it was too late...

I attended a 3D shoot as a spectator not so long ago and didnt see what I classified as a hunting bow set up there ...kinna ironic with all the animal targets there.... Hence 3D...
There were hunting bows ...dressed up for target..

Which is all fine, and not to take it from anyone or group in their form of shooting...but when one group...in this case the original shooters...get shunned out to the point where bowhunter cant even be mentioned......

Most of the serious 3D shooters that are hunters own several bows...one for hunting one for 3D ..which defeats the purpose of practice with the hunting bow...

I can see how this is going...eventually hunters will be weeded out of the 3D circuit...then PETA or the circuit itself will deem animal targets unethical...then perhaps paper animal targets ...then that will be demed unethical also...so back to the paper ring targets....ending up in a bunch of suits shooting paper at various distance or even back to set yardage ...

Thats why I support ABA shoots where bowhunters can be bowhunters shooting their bowhunting set ups...

ABA- http://www.bowhunters.ca/

Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The dress code might be going a bit too far, but ....

Sweat pants are for shinny hockey, slowpitch, etc.
You couldn't pay me to wear the things to a place where I'm not sweating.
Wifey told my son that sweat pants are 'girl repellant'......... unless you're sweating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Hbu4Z4pGI

I have a bunch of fleece camo that I hunt with...to me its unrestricting..cool enough to breath..warm when wet...super comfortable...Im gonna be buried in my camy jamys..screw the suit...save that for future 3D shooters...lol

Dont think all Fleece camo pants should be classified as pajamas or sweat pants...

JMHO
Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Tempest in a tea pot. Most recent dress code I read (a few days ago )still allowed camo as a pattern. Tube tops, sandals, flip flops, etc were not allowed.

I understand in Europe it is entirely different and strict dress codes must be followed.

Trust me....no one wants to see me in a tube top. Camo or otherwise.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Tempest in a tea pot. Most recent dress code I read (a few days ago )still allowed camo as a pattern. Tube tops, sandals, flip flops, etc were not allowed.

I understand in Europe it is entirely different and strict dress codes must be followed.

Trust me....no one wants to see me in a tube top. Camo or otherwise.
Im thinking your right on the tube top...lol...camo was just reinstated because of awareness such as this..

Speaking of Europe...where lots of things start and end up in total ban...like gun control... which almost happened here but dropped because of good ole Alberta boys speaking out...lol

given an inch to take a mile......

Neil
Old 01-12-2016, 12:54 PM

Yep
Get rid of all hunting references, clothing etc...then archery can be civilized again and go back to it's more honorable roots...men killing other men
Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Im thinking your right on the tube top...lol...camo was just reinstated because of awareness such as this..

Speaking of Europe...where lots of things start and end up in total ban...like gun control... which almost happened here but dropped because of good ole Alberta boys speaking out...lol

given an inch to take a mile......

Neil
I was never under the impression it was 'un-instated' for 3-D. Of course I may be wrong, I often am.

Interesting derail, there are suposedly more guns per capita in France, Sweden, Norway, and Switzerland than in Canada. Norwegian rednecks....that's a concept. Too be fair, while the swiss have more guns apparently they can't keep the ammunition for the militia rifles in the house. Still......France has more guns??????????
Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I was never under the impression it was 'un-instated' for 3-D. Of course I may be wrong, I often am.

Interesting derail, there are suposedly more guns per capita in France, Sweden, Norway, and Switzerland than in Canada. Norwegian rednecks....that's a concept. Too be fair, while the swiss have more guns apparently they can't keep the ammunition for the militia rifles in the house. Still......France has more guns??????????
France needs a lot of guns...their guns keep breaking when they drop them to surrender
Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM

Way to stir the pot LOST, I think they just don't want you showing up to shoots anymore in your APA tube top and mini skirt. Camo and jeans are allowed, here is pic from there Facebook post.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:41 PM

As Ray just posted above from the GCA facebook page.....and I just spoke with one of the current executive (and I was on the executive for about 5 years myself).....the dress code stipulation has nothing to do with banning camo and jeans, they are just fine. It isn't about distancing the competition from it's hunting roots. Its about keeping things in good taste, and safe. Pretty simple stuff. If you show up in your flannel pajamas and your significant other shooting partner looks like it is her turn next on the pole dance, probably should wear something more appropriate. I'm sure it will be a great event, we usually host a good show up here, so lets not find reasons to not support the event/club/archery in general.....carry on gentlemen.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
As Ray just posted above from the GCA facebook page.....and I just spoke with one of the current executive (and I was on the executive for about 5 years myself).....the dress code stipulation has nothing to do with banning camo and jeans, they are just fine. It isn't about distancing the competition from it's hunting roots. Its about keeping things in good taste, and safe. Pretty simple stuff. If you show up in your flannel pajamas and your significant other shooting partner looks like it is her turn next on the pole dance, probably should wear something more appropriate. I'm sure it will be a great event, we usually host a good show up here, so lets not find reasons to not support the event/club/archery in general.....carry on gentlemen.
Makes sense. I hope to attend the shoot. Maybe have a chance to meet a few of you there!

LC
Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well said. Much todo about nothing. Just asking us to dress appropriately and help make their 3D shoot professional looking. There is an awful lot of work that goes into putting on an event such as this. All we do is show up and shoot and go home. The least we can do is dress decently. Archery Canada is just trying to set a reasonable dress code that they would like us to follow.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Fleece pants lol to funny. Don't wear your jammies to a shoot is what that says to me.