Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Banned

The forum had been a little stale for a couple of weeks. Nothing new, lacking energy so to speak. So, I figured I would freshen it up a little. Truly though, I did know that it would go sideways, although not intentionally. But you folks never fail to provide entertainment, I must admit that I somehow knew the outcome, and you never dissapoint. LOL
Old 12-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Who said the best way to start an argument was :
Aost an opinion on AO
B: wait .......
:sHa_sarcasticlol
Cat
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
That moose was delicious thanks to my shooting and your cooler!
I don't remember if it was a calf or a cow? I do remember all the pieces it was in laying on the cooler floor...and hanging in game bags, glad you enjoyed it! It's the first and last critter of yours to hang there

The cooler has a buddies late season cow elk in it currently....still works excellent.

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm5 View Post
When you have a Huskemaw you can make any shot possible!!!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm5 View Post
When you have a Huskemaw you can make any shot possible!!!!!
The scarey part is, that thanks to Wild TV, some people actually believe that nonsense.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Why are we feeding this troll?

The crap that he has posted in numerous threads is pure garbage and argumentative at the best.

Now, did anyone else see the magic bullet post? 4" high at 100 and 7" high at 300? Now that's a flat shooter. Absolutely defies gravity. Lol

Hilarious thread.

I noticed the 4" high at 100 and 7" high at 300 rifle zero, absolutely amazing! Almost more entertaining than the offhand 500 yard game shots!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I noticed the 4" high at 100 and 7" high at 300 rifle zero, absolutely amazing! Almost more entertaining than the offhand 500 yard game shots!
And I thought some of the claims on the "things you overheard at a gun counter" thread were out to lunch.

This thread was both enlightening, and entertaining.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Default long shot

Christmas miracle rifle
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM

I wonder how high it would be at 1000 yards!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't remember if it was a calf or a cow? I do remember all the pieces it was in laying on the cooler floor...and hanging in game bags, glad you enjoyed it! It's the first and last critter of yours to hang there

The cooler has a buddies late season cow elk in it currently....still works excellent.

LC
THAT'S HALARIOUS!!! It was a nice dry cow. Where did we hang all the deer we brought back from my spot that I took your father???? Your memory is similar to your dads! Like Father, like son lol

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I'm pretty good at calculating and extrabulating , but I don't think i could cook up a load like that even with the help of Betty Crocker herself!!
Cat
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Just gotta add a few grains of Zbullseye to the mix
Old 12-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
THAT'S HALARIOUS!!! I was a nice dry cow. Where did we hang all the deer we brought back from my spot that I took your father???? Your memory is similar to your dads! Like Father, like son lol
I tend to remember things of significant nature....must have been insignificant. It was about 6-7 years ago...the number of critters that have been in there has been quite a few.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-22-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Hodgdon sells a powder that reduces copper fouling, perhaps they now make one that reduces the effects of gravity.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:

At 1000 you wanna aim for his hooves and it should go up into the lungs nicely.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You should bring your rig to the Drayton Valley rifle rodeo...you should have no issues shooing the interactive targets if you can shoot freehand at 500m

LC
I can't help to think likewise. Perhaps the prize monies ought to be sent to him without even holding the event since he's such a marksman. As far as you edmhunter, you ought to be careful as of your claims. Many are more than willing to stand shoulder to shoulder and see what you've got. Many here on the forum. To name a few: hotpaws, bachwoodsrunner, dick284, duceman,duceman's boyz, lefty canuck, and the guy that I'd put my money on, sight unseen - gorf. The rodeo does have an event that fits your claims, I'm guessing we'll see you there ?

I know what gun gorf will spank you with. A Ruger #1 full stock in 7x57. It's got deep gouges, marks, tape on it, looks like hell. But boy oh! boy are you in for church.

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Sky top I don't think it's bullseye that needs to be added to the mix but definitely bull something.
I consider myself a fairly good shot at some fairly long distances providing I have an adequate rest. BUT 500 yard freehand shots that's dam good. Anyone else interested in taking the edmhunter shooting course this spring? I would really be interested in something like this.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter0968 View Post
257 weatherby.

X2
Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I can't help to think likewise. Perhaps the prize monies ought to be sent to him without even holding the event since he's such a marksman. As far as you edmhunter, you ought to be careful as of your claims. Many are more than willing to stand shoulder to shoulder and see what you've got. Many here on the forum. To name a few: hotpaws, bachwoodsrunner, dick284, duceman,duceman's boyz, lefty canuck, and the guy that I'd put my money on, sight unseen - gorf. The rodeo does have an event that fits your claims, I'm guessing we'll see you there ?
Why not I am a sportsman. I am not claiming that I am the world best shot, but with my Huskemaw and my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM, no issues at very long range and I can put all of you nay sayers to bed! lol
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why not I am a sportsman. I am not claiming that I am the world best shot, but with my Huskemaw and my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM, no issues at very long range and I can put all of you nay sayers to bed! lol
Well then, come August or many other silhouette style shooting events in the spring and summer, you can come in and tuck us in. But as general rule has it, you are a talker and I guaran-arse tee you that you'll be a no show and that this will likely be the last time that you've ever been heard of. Bring your Ti 300WSM and Huskemaw to an F class shoot and put everyone to bed. If you really want to lay legitimate claims to your shooting skills, then come to an event when you can be sanctified and not rely on your own BS scores.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Excellent. Let hope she/ he shows up.
I need someone to share last place with, I'm in the half that makes the top half possible.
Very good shooters there and If I recall they were still in grade school.

Now back to the show.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM

edmhunter. Posting fictitious events and facts is my territory. Please keep your contributions factual. I don't like people "mowing my lawn". As per this rifle rodeo, if you go I will as well to see how you do. I may even kick in some cash to your entry and bring you a plastic bag.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
edmhunter. Posting fictitious events and facts is my territory. Please keep your contributions factual. I don't like people "mowing my lawn". As per this rifle rodeo, if you go I will as well to see how you do. I may even kick in some cash to your entry and bring you a plastic bag.
By the way boyz and girls, bring your bows as well, here is the last bear I killed with my bow, doubt it if most have even seen a bear that big...........drool away lol Merry Christmas to all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster Black Bear.jpg (72.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

Looks likes a new shooter and "maybe" two at the Rodeo. This ought to be good. Great to see your potential participation Bergerboy. I look forward to meeting in you in person and some fun time around the campfire. And of course, on the firing line, I'm look forward to kicking your sorry arse.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
By the way boyz and girls, bring your bows as well, here is the last bear I killed with my bow, doubt it if most have even seen a bear that big...........drool away lol Merry Christmas to all
You should join us on the 3d circuit this year! I won a silver medal at the National level last year....maybe I have no hope at the gold with you on the circuit I would be happy to compete against you in 3d archery. I won a few different "long bomb" competitions last year too...so hopefully you are comfortable shooting your bow at distance too....oh that's UNKNOWN distances

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Looks likes a new shooter and "maybe" two at the Rodeo. This ought to be good. Great to see your potential participation Bergerboy. I look forward to meeting in you in person and some fun time around the campfire. And of course, on the firing line, I'm look forward to kicking your sorry arse.
I have no doubt I will get my butt kicked. I just wanna go to shut my mouth and listen as I'm sure there will be a ton of knowledge there. Now...if ya wanna bring a shotty and do some trap, I may give you a run. Remind me to bring a plastic bag and a glass of milk for edmhunter. They will be very important to him.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Not entirely correct.... the rifle actually shoots the bullet upwards into the line of sight.... now if barrel was level and ground was perfectly flat this would be true..... there is a physics simulator that demonstrates this concept.....

Another question is which will hit the ground first a .17 bullet or a 308 if both were dropped?... how about shot....under above conditions? Yet which is better for long distance shooting? Why....

There are many factors.... this would be initial velocity and retained velocity at distance.... the difference is defined as drag which takes into account all sorts of factors which is fudged into a number known as ballistic co-efficient that allows us to predict how fast bullet is going after a set distance based on initial velocity.

In the end for simplicity, best ballistic co-efficient is a good measure but again it depends on the launching parameters.... this would be powder charge (amount, type and burn rate and propellant gas production), twist rate, barrel length and rifle characteristics.

One can over think this or depending on size of animal and bullet you want to carry one can find a "flat" gun in any caliber.... whether it be 26 Nosler, &MM SW, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua.... etc. etc. etc.

This is what Roy Weatherby tried to answer and create.... and look how many calibers he made!...

stay away from a 30-30 and you will be fine....

For this same solution I chose a 300 WSM (Not a 300 RUM) but there were other considerations as well such as recoil and the fact I wanted A WSM.

243 is "flat" but a little light IMO on a 300 yard elk shot.....but many people prefer the lighter recoil and can shoot that better than a 320 Loudenboomer that shoots like a laser, kicks like a mule and pretty much butchers and dresses the game before you can walk the 1/2 mile to retrieve it....
I agree totally with your correction. Any upward angle, beyond horizontal will extend the bullets gravitational decent time and distance.

Is'nt Physics Cool.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I have no doubt I will get my butt kicked. I just wanna go to shut my mouth and listen as I'm sure there will be a ton of knowledge there. Now...if ya wanna bring a shotty and do some trap, I may give you a run. Remind me to bring a plastic bag and a glass of milk for edmhunter. They will be very important to him.
Just so everyone knows I will not be coming incognito, I will be shooting this gun, so when you see an ugly man with this gun hitting stuff way out there you will know it's me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Princess (2).jpg (33.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Just so everyone knows I will not be coming incognito, I will be shooting this gun, so when you see an ugly man with this gun hitting stuff way out there you will know it's me.
That is a nice rifle. I may have a decent scope to lend you before if you like.....kidding I'm sure its a very nice piece of glass.
Closed Thread