Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Default Took my 223 out today, it's been doing this to brass

There's a fair large and noticeable bump on the head there. This worries me a fair bit. The ammo was about 20 years old, so could that maybe contribute to the cause? The rifle is a Tikka T3 Tactical that has had maybe 300 shots through it in it's lifespan. I'm hoping the gun isn't dying on me, it's a hell of a bush gun.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Looks like excess pressure, not an expert just my 2c. Not your rifle, maybe the cases are thin?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
Looks like excess pressure, not an expert just my 2c. Not your rifle, maybe the cases are thin?
Possible, I'll try to take a dremel to it and compare it to other brass. I only shot the one box today, should have switched to a different lot to see of it happened. There was also a lot more muzzle report then usual, but that might be just because I was in a valley.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
Possible, I'll try to take a dremel to it and compare it to other brass. I only shot the one box today, should have switched to a different lot to see of it happened. There was also a lot more muzzle report then usual, but that might be just because I was in a valley.
I'd also suggest comparing the overall length of the ammo to other factory loads for your rifle... maybe these are a little short?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
I'd also suggest comparing the overall length of the ammo to other factory loads for your rifle... maybe these are a little short?
Also a good idea. Maybe I should just break down and buy dies for this silly thing...
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Shoot some other ammo in it and compare. Could be the ammo, could be the chamber (which, from the look of your brass, could use a bit of polishing).
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM

i dont see anything wrong. the brass will stretch more above the case head where it is thinner maybe its a bit small for the chamber but that looks normal to me
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
i dont see anything wrong. the brass will stretch more above the case head where it is thinner maybe its a bit small for the chamber but that looks normal to me
It's just that none of my other fired brass has this.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It's just that none of my other fired brass has this.
if your other brass is fine, I would conclude that that bunch of brass is crap and toss it!
Cat
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Is your brass 5.56x45 NATO by any chance? Just fishin'. Handload or factory load?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM

I don't see anything but discolouration. I have same rifle as you. Here is a casing I fired on Sat. Not quite apparent as in your pic but I can pick out the line. The line I suspect is where the annealing stopped at time of manufacturer......everything above that line expands to the chamber walls. I think you have a typical once fired brass case. Then again, I'm just voicing an opinion.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar46.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .223.jpg (67.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM

Oily chamber?

http://www.varmintal.com/a243z.htm

Grizz
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I don't see anything but discolouration. I have same rifle as you. Here is a casing I fired on Sat. Not quite apparent as in your pic but I can pick out the line. The line I suspect is where the annealing stopped at time of manufacturer......everything above that line expands to the chamber walls. I think you have a typical once fired brass case. Then again, I'm just voicing an opinion.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar46.htm
That line only appeared after firing. It also has about a 40 thou bulge. It also isn't apparent on any other brass put through the gun at an earlier date. When I get off work I'll take a picture of the brass beside an unfired round from the same box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Is your brass 5.56x45 NATO by any chance? Just fishin'. Handload or factory load?
No sir, American eagle .223 factory ammo. From the 1990's though. I have a stockpile I'm clearing through.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM

tika.s dont like high preasure slack the preasure off the signs will go away . or trade yer rifle off on a new one
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
tika.s dont like high preasure slack the preasure off the signs will go away . or trade yer rifle off on a new one
It's factory ammo, not exactly a factor I can control. I got the rifle for free, it's just to play with my 308 is where I care enough that I'd be getting rid of it haha
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Unrelated to the OP. How is your rifle grouping that ammo? Assume 55gr FMJ. I can't get that stuff to group....... I'm just firing off the cheap AE stuff to get the brass and fill it with 69gr SMK HPBT. Heavier has to be better for the 1/8 twist.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Unrelated to the OP. How is your rifle grouping that ammo? Assume 55gr FMJ. I can't get that stuff to group....... I'm just firing off the cheap AE stuff to get the brass and fill it with 69gr SMK HPBT. Heavier has to be better for the 1/8 twist.
Crap grouping, I can barely keep it under 1MOA at 100 yards... This ammo is meant to be blasted through an AR though is it not? I have a few boxes of Imperial too, and Hornady.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Have Winchester White box and AE 55gr FMJ........they both shoot like crap in a T3 tactical. Just shooting it for the brass. Can't group >1 inch with this stuff. Going to load up some 75gr as well as 69gr......this weekend.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Have Winchester White box and AE 55gr FMJ........they both shoot like crap in a T3 tactical. Just shooting it for the brass. Can't group >1 inch with this stuff. Going to load up some 75gr as well as 69gr......this weekend.
Still have to get to loading for this thing, I only load for my .308 right now.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
That line only appeared after firing. It also has about a 40 thou bulge. It also isn't apparent on any other brass put through the gun at an earlier date. When I get off work I'll take a picture of the brass beside an unfired round from the same box.

No sir, American eagle .223 factory ammo. From the 1990's though. I have a stockpile I'm clearing through.
A 40 thou bulge would be very noticeable to the naked eye. I zoomed in on your pic and didn't see what I would perceive as such a massive bulge. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting your measurement, but are you absolutely certain? Such a bulge is mountainous and would be cause for concern. I would be taking great care to measure other brass before and after firing. My thinking is that even if this one round was unusual, why did the chamber allow such expansion? Not wanting to instill fear, but please err on the side of caution. I have a set of nearly unused Hornady dies that you could have for a good price if you're willing to pick up. You could maybe bring your gun, I suggest that we load a few tailored to your gun, fire them and measure. I would sooner donate an hour or two than to see you get hurt.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Perhaps the brass on the AE ammo you have is slightly undersized. I've seen this with cheap 308 ammo before - undersized to make for more reliable functioning in autoloaders. The same reason some guys like using a small base sizer die for semi-autos... it goes in and fires easier, and jams less often.

Of course, I could be completely out to lunch.