Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM

Default Electronic Hearing protection

I would like some advice on hearing protection. I am interested in getting some of the electronic variety and looking for a quality set. The primary uses would be shooting at a outdoor rifle range, a indoor pistol range and for shooting trap. I think i would need a lower profile set or a pair that were designed with the shooting sports in mind.Or just maybe would not get in the way with their physical size. I would like to know what you people think would work well and which ones to stay clear of. I sure would like to buy once and buy right. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Check out the impact sport, it's got mixed reviews but quite positive for the most part.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-prot...onic-ear-muffs

I use a set of Peltor sporttac for outdoor pistol and rifle

http://www.precision-sports.com/peltor_elect.htm

I do prefer just a set of foam plugs for bench shooting my rifles as any earmuffs seem to get in my way but the electronic muffs are excellent for pistol and off hand shooting.

I don't think you will find a electronic muff with a high enough NRR for stand alone indoor protection... You will end up with plugs under them.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Check out the impact sport, it's got mixed reviews but quite positive for the most part.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-prot...onic-ear-muffs

I use a set of Peltor sporttac for outdoor pistol and rifle

http://www.precision-sports.com/peltor_elect.htm

I do prefer just a set of foam plugs for bench shooting my rifles as any earmuffs seem to get in my way but the electronic muffs are excellent for pistol and off hand shooting.

I don't think you will find a electronic muff with a high enough NRR for stand alone indoor protection... You will end up with plugs under them.
Thanks Hotwheels81,
From Peltor I like those Sport tac's the most too. From Howard leight I like those Impact sports. Appreciate that info and will keep looking then start narrowing things down. I am currently using plugs for trap and the rifle range and muffs at the pistol club. thanks again
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Check out what pro-ears have to offer too. I have had a set of their electronic muffs for quite some time and they work quite well. The cups are low profile, designed with shooting sports in mind.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Nrr

Agreed on the NRR. I was only able to find 23, which is a far cry from comfort with my 300 winmag. Pistol, shotgun and rimfire are no issue at all. I didn't look too hard, but under $200, I was not able to find anything better. My Peltor tacticals are ok, but like I said with the beast, plugs go in too.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM

I checked with Normanrd's suggestion of the pro ears. I actually called them because in there advertised specs they did not have the NRR. They suggested for the application these-http://www.proears.com/Pro-Ears-Shooting-Hearing-Ear-Protection-Predator-Gold

The lady I spoke to claimed the NRR is 26. I don't want to let price dictate what I buy with hearing protection but they are listed on site as 339.00 . I am sure there are better prices out there but first I want to make sure I am getting good value for the money. I checked reviews and the big negative was the price. That said the only buyers remorse I get with buying outdoor gear is when I do let price dictate what I buy.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM

I got some MSA Sordins and they are good, but if shooting big stuff some plugs underneath makes a huge difference.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM

I dont mind the thought of doubling up with the ear plugs but can you still carry on a conversation without taking anything off?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Default conversation

Mine can, without issue. In fact, they magnify sound when you crank 'em up. Probably very good for hunting in that regard.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM

I still wear ear plugs most of the time when I wear my pro ears, especially when I am shooting a handgun. You can still carry on a normal conversation easily. I think any muffs with a noise amplification circuit will work really well with double hearing protection.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I still wear ear plugs most of the time when I wear my pro ears, especially when I am shooting a handgun. You can still carry on a normal conversation easily. I think any muffs with a noise amplification circuit will work really well with double hearing protection.
Where did you buy yours Normanrd if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM

Who distributes proears in canada?

....just curious as to spare parts availability incase you want to buy new foam cups and such?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Never mind I found the list.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Where did you buy yours Normanrd if you don't mind me asking?
It has been so long, but If I'm not mistaking, I ordered Lefty and myself a set each directly form Pro-Ears, likely 10 to 12 years ago. I think they shipped directly to us.

Norm
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
It has been so long, but If I'm not mistaking, I ordered Lefty and myself a set each directly form Pro-Ears, likely 10 to 12 years ago. I think they shipped directly to us.

Norm
I think you did order those direct and we asked for low profile on both the left and right side muffs.

LC