Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Savage .22 Mark II

I like to give credit where credit is due. I just bought a Savage Mark II .22LR at the Gun Show in Calgary. I am amazed at the accuracy the little gun delivers! For a $200.00+ rifle it is just amazing! Some informal shooting off of the tailgate got me a couple of dime sized 10 shot groups at 25 yards! Same conditions - same ammo - same day - two different Ruger 10-22s couldn't come close! Both the Rugers have after-market stocks and barrels and are running close to $800.00 so far. Still hoping that trigger groups will help the Rugers.
Too bad the Savage is so small in every dimension - too small for a 6"2" 300+ pounder, but the girls should have a good time with it this summer.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM

That is good to hear. I have heard nothing but good things for that gun. I havent personally held it yet but it is on my list for next gun purchase. So hopefully it fits.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Bought one for my missus as her first rifle several years ago....

She got upset because all the bullets dident go into the same hole as we were looking at a 50M target with 10 holes you could cover with a nickle......

Heluva good lil gun for the $$!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 PM

I have had nothing but problems with them.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
what problems??? i was never exactly "nice" to mine yet it still cycles amazingly and the bullets all go where i want them to.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM

since you asked I've owned a few trying to find one that works. The scope base holes are NEVER drilled straight. Wouldn't bother most people, bugs me.

Feeding problems, trigger locks up.

YMMV
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Default savage

i do not know why this comes as a surprize...this rifle has been around for years...it was originally a lakefield MKII...savage now ownes the cooey plant...you could not take mine away for love nor money....a real tack driver...as for the mount...you can only use one mount on them they are a 2 piece weiver mount # 16...regular mounts do not work on this or the original lakefield rifle...my 2cents
thanks
zeek
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Mine has some feeding problems, more 'quibbles' than real problems but for the $189 I paid for it, incli an accutriggger, and a few thousand rounds later, its been a winner. Its accurate (not as accurate as CZ's I find) with cheap bulk AE and very accurate with more expenensive RWS ammo. I just added a slip on recoil pad to increase LOP.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Depending on the context of your handle, I think you should change your name then
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
i do not know why this comes as a surprize...this rifle has been around for years...it was originally a lakefield MKII...savage now ownes the cooey plant...you could not take mine away for love nor money....a real tack driver...as for the mount...you can only use one mount on them they are a 2 piece weiver mount # 16...regular mounts do not work on this or the original lakefield rifle...my 2cents
thanks
zeek
I found a pair of two piece bases for a Marlin something or other that had the right hole spacing. Got a pair of rings that work on the bases. The rig seems to work... But maybe those odd fliers just outside the 8 or 9 rounds in the one hole might be because I didn't use the one-piece base...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
thanks
zeek
Nonsense. There are a lot of options for scope bases on the Mark 2.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM

I have one and love it too. Great little gopher getter.