Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Good camera

Hello,

I need a bit of help. I'd like to be able to take high quality video of long range shooting. I don't mind spending some money on a good camera.

I have a Swarovski STS 80 HD spotter and the Swarovski TLS 800.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I'm hoping to video my shooting at 800-1500yds. Been doing the shooting, just think it would be cool to show it.

Am not a professional by any means, just want to have some fun with it.

Where's some good places with intelligent, helpful people to purchase from?

Thanks for your time, Eric.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM

The Camera Store - dowtown Calgary. They have a website:

http://www.thecamerastore.com/
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

other option use iphone or samsung galaxy s3 or note 2, i guess the galaxy s4 and iphone 5s will be out shortly and they are rumored to have 13 megapixel cams instead of the 8's currently and get the phoneskope.com adapters and combine your tools...my Dad still trying to get a digiscoping set up he likes for his swaro and doesn't have a smart phone yet but i'm pushing him as it sure seems like a better way to go than some giant camera stuck to the spotter...well at least another option to consider for your not so serious needs...good luck
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks everybody.

I currently have an iPhone 4. I really like it. I'd be really just buying the camera to use with the spotter to make videos. You know, blowing up gophers, crows, target shooting at long range, just fun stuff like that.

I never bought the Swaro TLS 800 with plans of doing photography. I bought my spotter used and the guy threw in the TLS 800 for free because he had no use for it.

Could I get just as good of results with my 20-60X eye piece and the iphone 5s and adapter?

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Thanks everybody.

I currently have an iPhone 4. I really like it. I'd be really just buying the camera to use with the spotter to make videos. You know, blowing up gophers, crows, target shooting at long range, just fun stuff like that.

I never bought the Swaro TLS 800 with plans of doing photography. I bought my spotter used and the guy threw in the TLS 800 for free because he had no use for it.

Could I get just as good of results with my 20-60X eye piece and the iphone 5s and adapter?

Thanks again.
I tried spotting scope with iPhone and it work like a charm BUT it does not work when it is cold. iPhone turns off by itself when weather is around -10c and it is not for hunting season. Now for gophers I am sure it will be lots of fun. I made home made adaptor for it for free. We DO need a camera for recording.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Vortex digi camera adapter with a canon t3 rebel. Works good.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Does anybody care to post pics and videos they've taken through their spotter with a camera? Please list the equipment you used to take them.

Sorry, this isn't really about guns and ammo, but it is relevant in a way.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM

I have a few videos and pictures but the quality really isn't there. If your looking for info before you jump in and spend the money. Google 'digiscoping'. I've found alot of sites and forums where people explain and offer advice in how to obtain good quality pictures and sometimes videos. Some of the main points are 'manual focus' is a must, adjusting 'ISO' , 'shutter speed' and even 'touching up' pictures on a computer program are needed. It's alot of work and I'm still just learning how to use my camera. For someone who is camera proficient then this would be alot easier. If your looking at getting a little hazy of fuzzy close up of a critter at a long distance then this will work for you. When I get around to coping my memory card onto my computer ill send a couple your way.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM

I checked out the phoneskope product. Looks good.

I emailed em, waiting for their response.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

Lemme know if u get a response and Jordan smith posted some vids he did of long range shots with a smart phone set up but can't remember thread
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM

Ok, PhoneSkope got back to me. My question was that if they made an adapter to fit my iPhone 4 with Otterbox Defender and then later to fit the Iphone 5s or 6 with Otterbox Defender. Yes, they have a universal adapter, that you custom cut to size.

I'm rethinking it and think I'll just get the made to fit adapter per phone/camera.

An adapter spec'd to fit your individual spotting scope or binocular goes on the eye piece of the scope and it screws onto the phone adapter. The prices are pretty good, as long as it's a good product.

Dammit, I've been happy with my Iphone 4 the whole time I've had it, but now I want this newer iphone with better camera.

I'd imagine a real camera would take better pics and video, but this could work damn good and be so easy to do what I want to do. I'm sure theres apps to help me edit and narrate the videos easily.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM

You can get the phoneskope adapter to fit right on the rifle scope too. Haha, that could be fun!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 AM

Default good camera

I use a Canon sx50 as a range spotting scope. With the long zoom range, I just take a picture after each shot, and view on screen. It has video capabilities as well. SX40 works as well, and I have one for sale.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Your best bet is kijiji. Lots of people buy DSLR's and it's too much camera for them. The Nikon D5000 is a great durable, light weight camera. Now that the D5100 came out these are way down in price. You can shoot 1080 HD video and watch it on a 3"x3" screen. Or use this screen to take pictures as well as the usual view finder. You just gotta make sure they have the right memory card that will allow the best quality HD vid. My card was 350$ and camera new was 650 with an 18-55 lens. I looked and this is what would suit you well for a great price. http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ460542861
Or just search D5000. Either way this set-up will more then suit your needs. The remote help so you don't bump the camera during a picture at extended ranges.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma