View Poll Results: A BULLET TO PASS THROUGH OR NOT IS BEST
PASS THROUGH IS BEST 86 60.14%
NON-PASS THROUGH IS BEST 57 39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonBroke View Post
here is the two Barnes tsx 140gr out of my .270 wsm, the one on the left is from the bull moose pictured on my avatar, it was shot at 70 yards and i found it on the far side hide, passed through both lungs, and the bullet on the right is the same load and bullet shot at a 5/8 steel plate at 100 yrds, kinda a neat comparison i think. i cant find my bullet from my 150 yard whitetail from last year, sorry but it looks very close to the moose bullet.
Weird, I would have expexcted far more expansion out of that TSX at 70 yards. High velocity hits usually rip them wide open. That looks a lot more like a lower velocity/longer range impact....guess you never know what will happen sometimes. What's the expanded diameter? It looks far less than 2x.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Weird, I would have expexcted far more expansion out of that TSX at 70 yards. High velocity hits usually rip them wide open. That looks a lot more like a lower velocity/longer range impact....guess you never know what will happen sometimes. What's the expanded diameter? It looks far less than 2x.
ya it is weird hey, maybe cause its a "lawyerd up" factory load, compared to my usual hotter hand loads.... who knows hey, not sure what the factory barnes vortex load muzzle velocity is, must be lower than my hand loads, who knows, keep in mind also that this bullet on struck 1 rib bone on the entry side and the rest was all lungs and tissue till it met the hide. i know barnes love to eat bone and the more bone the better im thinking,but the soft tissue issue im thinking it does not expand as much as it does on bone...???? or what

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
ya it is weird hey, maybe cause its a "lawyerd up" factory load, compared to my usual hotter hand loads.... who knows hey, not sure what the factory barnes vortex load muzzle velocity is, must be lower than my hand loads, who knows
Still close to 3,000fps impact velocity I'm sure. Most factory loads these days are pretty hot...especially the premium brand magnum stuff...often handloading has trouble matching the performance.....doesn't make sense. You haven't run them through a chrony? No doubt the bullet did its job and killed but that kind of performance wouldn't convince me they are the best bullet made. The one I posted is more typical I've what I've seen from them at higher impact velocities.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Still close to 3,000fps impact velocity I'm sure. Most factory loads these days are pretty hot...especially the premium brand magnum stuff...doesn't make sense. You haven't run them through a chrony?
no not the factory vortex i have not ran through a chrony, had no time last year to make hand loads so i just picked up some factory Barnes from cabelas and went and did my hunt...

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Still close to 3,000fps impact velocity I'm sure. Most factory loads these days are pretty hot...especially the premium brand magnum stuff...often handloading has trouble matching the performance.....doesn't make sense. You haven't run them through a chrony?
i have to disagree with that the "handload" has trouble matching the performance of factory, im sure my hand loads out perform the factory stuff due to the fact that mine are custom tailored to my high standards...lol
i will find out more info this hunting season as i will be shooting my custom tailored hand loaded barnes 130gr tsx

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
i have to disagree with that the "handload" has trouble matching the performance of factory, im sure my hand loads out perform the factory stuff due to the fact that mine are custom tailored to my high standards...lol
Standards don't equal velocity...consistency maybe. Some of the factory loads are loaded with proprietary powders unavailable to handloaders and the performance can be difficult to match in some loads. That's not an opinion but a fact. What custom tailored load are you using in your 270WSM and what velocity are you getting from your high standards.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Standards don't equal velocity...consistency maybe. Some of the factory loads are loaded with proprietary powders unavailable to handloaders and the performance can be difficult to match in some loads. That's not an opinion but a fact. What load are you using in your 270WSM and what velocity are you getting.
65grains of RL 19 and i believe im getting 3100 and change with 130 gr .

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM

and with deviations of no more than 20 fps....witch is great imo

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
65grains of RL 19 and i believe im getting 3100 and change with 130 gr .
The Barnes factory ammo shows more velocity than that with a 140gr. I was getting over 3200 out of mine with Winchester factory ammo. Obviously you are very keen and eager and that's great but Hal offered some good advice a while ago There's lots to be learned on the board from a lot of guys for those that listen. Your inexperience is obvious and you definitely have lots to learn. AO is a great place for that.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The Barnes factory ammo shows more velocity than that with a 140gr. I was getting over 3200 out of mine with Winchester factory ammo. Obviously you are very keen and eager and that's great but Hal offered some good advice a while ago There's lots to be learned on the board from a lot of guys for those that listen. Your inexperience is obvious and you definitely have lots to learn. AO is a great place for that.
i could be wrong on my muzzle velocity as this was from last year spring time, my memory has faded a lil, but for sure there is lots of great info here and hence why i make the polls that i do,, i wanna learn more and more, everyday i will how ever chrony some of my hand loads this year with the 130 gr tsx and get back to you on that if you would like... i followed the barnes manual vol 4 for these loads,let me go check the book now............................................... ............................ok im back here is what they said in the book for velocity, pictured below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.jpg (45.2 KB, 14 views)

(truck window)

Last edited by PistonBroke; 08-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
and NO barnes does not show more velocity than 3100 fps with in a few feet of course with the 140gr tsx, here take a look,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.jpg (40.7 KB, 10 views)

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
i could be wrong on my muzzle velocity as this was from last year spring time, my memory has faded a lil, but for sure there is lots of great info here and hence why i make the polls that i do,, i wanna learn more and more, everyday i will how ever chrony some of my hand loads this year with the 130 gr tsx and get back to you on that if you would like... i followed the barnes manual vol 4 for these loads,let me go check the book now............................................... ............................ok im back here is what they said in the book for velocity, pictured below
LOL...so they really aren't that custom tailored. Piston, for someone that is trying to learn you seem to spend a lot of time telling people that know what they don't know. Silence is often knowledge. Anyhow, you seem like a good guy albiet a bit too eager. Sit back and enjoy and jump in and share when it's something you know first hand...not when it's something you read in some advertizing.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
and NO barnes does not show more velocity than 3100 fps with in a few feet of course with the 140gr tsx, here take a look,
I was talking about the factory Vor-tx...you know, the stuff I said that it was sometimes hard for handloaders to match. ugh I give up.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
LOL...so they really aren't that custom tailored. Piston, for someone that is trying to learn you seem to spend a lot of time telling people that know what they don't know. Silence is often knowledge. Anyhow, you seem like a good guy albiet a bit too eager. Sit back and enjoy and jump in and share when it's something you know first hand...not when it's something you read in some advertizing.
Hahaha was thinking the same thing.....

Piston....you need to use your ears and stop trying to fly the flag. Its not working very good for ya.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Hahaha was thinking the same thing.....

Piston....you need to use your ears and stop trying to fly the flag. Its not working very good for ya.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN LEARN IS BY FLYING THE FLAG...LOL YES IM A BIT DIFFICULT AT TIMES TO DEAL WITH , BUT I DON'T MEAN NO HARM BY IT, IM ALWAYS LEARNING BY DEBATING AND DISCUSSING. THANK YOU THO FOR ALL YOUR GUYS INPUT, BELIVE I HAVE LEARNED A FAIR BIT THUS FAR, KEEP THEM COMMING AO

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
i was talking about the factory vor-tx...you know, the stuff i said that it was sometimes hard for handloaders to match. Ugh i give up.
for lack of better term i used ' custom tailored' sorry bout that , cheers and you did not mention that you were talking about the vor-tx, you asked me what my hand loads were so i told you and showed you.

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM

SHEEPS QUOTE: What custom tailored load are you using in your 270WSM and what velocity are you getting from your high standards.

SHEEPS QUOTE: The Barnes factory ammo shows more velocity than that with a 140gr. I was getting over 3200 out of mine with Winchester factory ammo.

NOTHING HERE WAS MENTIONED ABOUT YOU TALKING ABOUT THE VOR-TX LOAD

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
for lack of better term i used ' custom tailored' sorry bout that , cheers and you did not mention that you were talking about the vor-tx, you asked me what my hand loads were so i told you and showed you.
You really need to slow down and actually absorb the words that people write. How does this not mention that I was talking about Barnes FACTORY ammo...sheeesh

Quote:
The Barnes factory ammo shows more velocity than that with a 140gr.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM

But lets not natter about what who said when they said about what they said, lets keep talking about bullets and what the op had started a thread on...lol peace...???? WE GETTING WAY OFF TOPIC HERE....LOL

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
But lets not natter about what who said when they said about what they said, lets keep talking about bullets and what the op had started a thread on...lol peace...???? WE GETTING WAY OFF TOPIC HERE....LOL
good idea.....ugh

Just for clarification...aren't you the OP?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
good idea.....ugh

just for clarification...aren't you the op?
lol, yes im the op...lol

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
If frontal area is important to you, you should likely take a look at the GMX. The six petal design provides more frontal area than a four petal design like the TSX or TTSX. Actually I'd say the TSX and TTSX really aren't that great in the frontal area depatrtment when compared to bonded bullets or even the Partition. The voids between the petals really reduce the true frontal area. If you look on the bullets you recovered it's pretty apparent.
I'll take the increase in penetration. And when you factor RPM and distance of penetration into it things start to become moot. (1-9" twist over 24" over blood, ribs, organs whatever).

When it comes down to it, I hesistate to ask the 2 deer a year crowd or sponsored sportsment. There are enough professional hunters out there that watch more animals drop in a week than most do in a decade and they predominantly call for two holes and poo-poo the "bangem flopem" bullets.
Look up gentlemen like Seyfried, Aargard, Tarr, Johnson, etc.
I've shot animals with interlocks, bergers, accubonds, all of the Barnes monometals, partitions, bear claws, etc, etc.
There are three today I would use for everything in the right platform: TTSX, Accubonds, and Interlocks in that order.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
lol, yes im the op...lol
So that's just one of those weird talking about yourself in third person things.....got it.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I'll take the increase in penetration. And when you factor RPM and distance of penetration into it things start to become moot. (1-9" twist over 24" over blood, ribs, organs whatever).

When it comes down to it, I hesistate to ask the 2 deer a year crowd or sponsored sportsment. There are enough professional hunters out there that watch more animals drop in a week than most do in a decade and they predominantly call for two holes and poo-poo the "bangem flopem" bullets.
I've shot animals with interlocks, bergers, accubonds, all of the Barnes monometals, partitions, bear claws, etc, etc.
There are three today I would use for everything in the right platform: TTSX, Accubonds, and Interlocks in that order.
Since both the TSX and GMX are high weight retention/mono metal bullets and both typically pass through, the increase in penetration that the TSX could offer because of decreased frontal area is really useless. I agree, two holes are good. Two holes from a bullet that has more frontal area....better. You seem to think I'm making case for something I'm not.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Piston, for someone that claims to be trying to learn you seem to spend a lot of time telling people that know what they don't know. Silence is often knowledge. Anyhow, you seem like a good guy albiet a bit too eager. Sit back and enjoy and jump in and share when it's something you know first hand...not when it's something you read in some advertizing.
Fixed it for you.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Since both the TSX and GMX are high weight retention/mono metal bullets and both typically pass through, the increase in penetration that the TSX could offer because of decreased frontal area is really useless. I agree, two holes are good. Two holes from a bullet that has more frontal area....better. You seem to think I'm making case for something I'm not.
I was leaning more towards the mono vs bonded, but see how that was unclear.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:

i could not agree more with the TTSX as your first choice, bravo...lol

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
fixed it for you.

what is it exactly that you fixed again...? Lol just curious

(truck window)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I was leaning more towards the mono vs bonded, but see how that was unclear.
Ah okay...ya, I don't shoot many bonded bullets any more.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 PM

One thing I will also say is the Bergers weigh more consistent than any other bullet I have used. I weighed every one of the first 50 and everyone weighed exactly 175 grs. It has taken me awhile to be swung over to the Berger side of the fence. But every time I was at the range the long distance shooters I spoke to all used Bergers and they said the same thing. The consistency of the bullets is exceptional. I'm going to Kansas this year to see how they work on a big bodied Whitetail and will report back on their performance. There is an interesting comparison on the internet that Barnes did comparing their triple shock versus the Berger and Accubond. Berger builds their bullets to go initially through bone, skin etc. and then dump all of their energy inside the animal. This comparison shows it perfectly, going through an intitial layer of ballistic gel, then a shoulder bone and finally all ballistic gel. Google Barnes bullet comparison and look at the pictures. It is interesting. 2 different theories on bullet performance because without a pass through the blood trail is not that large, however when they go straight down 3 feet tracking is not required. We will see but for know the paper performance has been excellent.

(truck window)