Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Sharpsh00ter View Post
I don't recall boarder guards, security, RCMP or military in my previous post. I directly said LRPS...And to me the whole LRPS presentation to city council was PETTY..so. please don't add words or people to my original post...and don't assume...
No assumptions, don't misunderstand.
My point was yes, LRPS, amongst numerous others use the LFGA range. I think that is a positive thing.
And I think that your line of thinking is petty. It's hard to see what positive might come of that.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Its called a double standard! and it would have been a positive thing if they showed up with facts proving the bullet strikes didnt come from are range....My line of thinking is petty RFLO! Is it so bad to think or ask about banning a group of people that have proven that bullets can leave are range, or how bout the petty unfactual evidence they brought to city council ect ect ect..This is my.line of thinking!!! They have there own RANGE, why use ours!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM

I don't recall seeing any LRPS members down at range on thier own accord, (just training in uniform), whether they pay to use the range I not privy to that information. All other Law Enforcement Officers that I have seen down at the range, be it Customs, Corrections and some Sheriffs are Individual LFGA members.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
I don't recall seeing any LRPS members down at range on thier own accord, (just training in uniform), whether they pay to use the range I not privy to that information. All other Law Enforcement Officers that I have seen down at the range, be it Customs, Corrections and some Sheriffs are Individual LFGA members.
Its the trainees and SWAT that I am refurring to as a whole and trust me they use it in the A.M is when i see them. Most of them but NOT all are just a bunch of arrogant ***** holes, and have no problem breaking are range rules and making thier own. I was asked in a previous post " what advantages would come from not allowing them on the range as a whole?" and my ansewer is easy! One more saftey precaution put in place to reduce any chance of factual bullets leaving the range and ending up on the north side..
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 PM

If there is a group of uniformed officers at the range and they are on the firing line, they are working. I can respect the fact that they must be serious and need to concentrate on the task at hand. If they aren't all smiley and cracking jokes with the public while they are practicing a life and death skill, I understand. Might it be misinterpreted as arrogance? I suppose.

The errant police bullet that exited the range was unfortunate. I hope that all those involved in that incident from the instructor to the officer who pulled the trigger have learned from the incident. I do feel however, that individual responsibility must be taken before I am willing to have my shooting enjoyment taken away from me as a member of the range.

We should all work together as shooters and hunters to keep the range open but I don't think that the entire police service should be blamed on the actions of a couple of officers. Nor do I think it's fair that responsible gun owners and shooters should shoulder the blame for individuals who fail to be safe while using the range. If your bullet leaves the range..... you are responsible for it.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
If there is a group of uniformed officers at the range and they are on the firing line, they are working. I can respect the fact that they must be serious and need to concentrate on the task at hand. If they aren't all smiley and cracking jokes with the public while they are practicing a life and death skill, I understand. Might it be misinterpreted as arrogance? I suppose.

The errant police bullet that exited the range was unfortunate. I hope that all those involved in that incident from the instructor to the officer who pulled the trigger have learned from the incident. I do feel however, that individual responsibility must be taken before I am willing to have my shooting enjoyment taken away from me as a member of the range.

We should all work together as shooters and hunters to keep the range open but I don't think that the entire police service should be blamed on the actions of a couple of officers. Nor do I think it's fair that responsible gun owners and shooters should shoulder the blame for individuals who fail to be safe while using the range. If your bullet leaves the range..... you are responsible for it.

X2 and OUR bullets did not leave OUR range. I think there may be a difference between the rank and file officers and some of the other budding politicians. From what I've seen (and reported -or not- as a range officer) there have been zero infractions of OUR rules by any users.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

I was born, just not yesterday and know the difference between arrogance and professionalizm. "Hi or good morning" goes a longway, not looking to shoot the sh!t or busting out jokes. Reguarding the range rules that a buddy and I observed been broken, occured when the gate and camera system had not been installed. Not going to go into details for its not worth it, all I can say is that if they didnt break any range rules, how did 3 (correct me if iam wrong) lrps bullets leave the range. Yall seem to forget that there are 5 ( correct me if iam wrong ) unexplained bullet strikes on the westside..down range of LRPS gun range. I am the only one that sees a double standard here? LRPS bullets are safe and wont travel that far LOL, LFG range is a public saftey concern, but if it reopens lets welcome them back with open arms... iam i missing something, did i miss a official apoligy meeting from LRPS or what? and last but not least, if that inspector is what my buddy has to train under or work for God help are police dept...imo
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Talking

live feed of city council up and running
Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Where does a guy find the link to the live feed?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM

http://meetings.lethbridge.ca/sirepu...doctype=AGENDA
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

LFGA Range Is OPEN. Awsome job Alan and Company!!!!Proud to be a LFGA member...
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Lfga

Quote:
X2
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM

So I couldnt stay for the end due to my puppies being free in the house, what was the final outcome??? was there a public appology from the mayor in regards to the 2 council members "not doing there home work"??
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM

What were the findings? what lead to the re-opening? I am just curious if the "other" range admitted the strike came from there?

Good for you guys! Glad it is re-opened for you.

LC
Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Default interesting council meeting

Actually the range is not open yet . . . we still need to agree to and sign the lease agreement (according to our lawyer Phil North-he sat in front of me and those were his words), for all intents and purposes though it will be open soon.

And Winger, nope there was no public apology during or after their "recess" to alderman Mauro or Wickersham. The apology may come later in the meeting, but it will still be too late. I do not believe for a moment that the mayor is a friend of the LFGA and I am not so sure on Alderman Ellis either.

The 2016 early closure date was a backhanded move by those that made the proposal and I believe was unexpected by the LFGA executive.

We do need to move our range, but I am sure it will be a difficult process and one that involves lots of NIMBY issues (not in my back yard), where it will go will be a challenge. Ideally a coulee facing the west would be good, so the ever present wind is at our backs when shooting. Now we need to raise some big bucks for the land purchase.

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soreneck Racing View Post
Actually the range is not open yet . . . we still need to agree to and sign the lease agreement (according to our lawyer Phil North-he sat in front of me and those were his words), for all intents and purposes though it will be open soon.

And Winger, nope there was no public apology during or after their "recess" to alderman Mauro or Wickersham. The apology may come later in the meeting, but it will still be too late. I do not believe for a moment that the mayor is a friend of the LFGA and I am not so sure on Alderman Ellis either.

The 2016 early closure date was a backhanded move by those that made the proposal and I believe was unexpected by the LFGA executive.

We do need to move our range, but I am sure it will be a difficult process and one that involves lots of NIMBY issues (not in my back yard), where it will go will be a challenge. Ideally a coulee facing the west would be good, so the ever present wind is at our backs when shooting. Now we need to raise some big bucks for the land purchase.
Well im glad that we get to keep it for the mean time. I over heard a good comment regarding ellis and dodic. If you were to take ellis' skin off his body you would see dodics outline inside. I am sure that the remarks from dodic this meeting will hurt his next election campain. I know you cant trust council but you should be able to have a little trust and to out-right lie less then 2 minutes of what was said, thats bad.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Default trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
. . . I know you cant trust council . . .
there are a couple that I believe you can trust, Alderman Coffman being one of them. Overall, you are right.

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry about false post, I was super happyI should have worded it, the range will be re-opened and hopefully soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Default City council Meeting

I was there today for the big city council meeting. I would like to thank the LFGA especially Alan and the rest of the executive for working so hard to get this resolved. I thought it was very underhanded of the mayor and Alderman Ellis who helped the mayor put together the 9 stipulating points to be voted on today- to email out these points the day of the vote(sounded like only maybe an hour or 2 prior to council meeting) to only the city council. It was not emailed out to the LFGA executive team so that they could plan & prepare for the proposed closure by 2016. The mayor and Ellis had 2 weeks to get their stuff together and they send it out in an email?????? Come on guys. Not everyone sits at their computer waiting for an email. I am glad that Council decided to vote this point down and allow the range to continue to operate in the safe methods it has always operated in.

I am glad that the other city councilors felt it was dealt with in the wrong method or arena how the mayor had set it up. I am also glad that they took the time to question the paperwork in front of them and had the mayor divide it up and vote on different points so that each point would be explained and not a bad packaged deal as had originally been presented. I hope that come election time that Mayor Dodic does not get re-elected.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Dont worry coughunter i dont think dodic will make another term, im sure dodic is a forein word for tool some where
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

any word on the when the range gate will be unlocked?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
any word on the when the range gate will be unlocked?
Save any (more) unforeseen issues with the agreement language, likely sometime later today or tomorrow. Check the LFGA website, if you didn't sign up for the update emails.

Hopefully the snow will be completely melted by then; I will be shooting my 1911 as soon as the gate opens, but don't want to be digging through the snow to find my brass!!!

It is kind of like the LGR - we know it is done for, we just need to be patient.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks to Allan Friesen and the rest of the AFGA executive for all of their hard work! I may have to make a gun purchase to celebrate.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Thanks to Allan Friesen and the rest of the AFGA executive for all of their hard work! I may have to make a gun purchase to celebrate.
Dooooooo iiiiiit! Make it a handgun - it pi**es off the douche bag antis (like Dodic) even more.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Save any (more) unforeseen issues with the agreement language, likely sometime later today or tomorrow. Check the LFGA website, if you didn't sign up for the update emails.

Hopefully the snow will be completely melted by then; I will be shooting my 1911 as soon as the gate opens, but don't want to be digging through the snow to find my brass!!!

It is kind of like the LGR - we know it is done for, we just need to be patient.
Alright thanks for the reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM

When I get a chance I will be writing to the councillors who saw through Dodic's slimy attempts to screw us.

Wickersham wisely sought to have the motion split.

Mearns caught that Dodic and Ellis had changed the wording in "Option 1" and confirmed that we had not agreed to a termination of the lease in 2016.

Mauro.... what can I say, the man is truly a great representative on council. For those of you who did not view the meeting, Mauro stated that he believes the range is an asset to the city, that it is beyond safe, and that it should NOT BE MOVED! It is used regularly by close to 1000 city residents and should stay where it is.

Coffman argued against the unfair treatment Dodic and Ellis were attempting to perpetrate.

Iwaskiw did the same.

Iwaskiw, Coffman and Parker were much less involved in the questions this time, but I don't believe it was from lack of interest or agreement with Dodic. I believe they heard all they needed to last time and were sure in their position.

These people all deserve our thanks. Yes they were only doing their job, but they did a damn fine job! How they feel about us was clear in how they cast their votes and how they refused to let us (and themselves) be bullied by a Mayor who is willing to do anything to get his way.

Oh, and when the next election rolls around, remember that Dodic, Ellis and Carlson don't want US in THEIR city. Let them know how you feel about that when you cast your vote.

Last edited by Pudelpointer; 03-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM

X2 ^^^^^^^^
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

LFGA website is saying the range will be open tomorrow, Thursday the 22nd of March - barring any unforeseen problems.

Hip, hip, hooray~!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

Sweet!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM

Default LFGA Range REOPENS

Hi Folks,
The LFGA Range will reopen tomorrow morning (March 22, 2012). Your cards should work if you have paid your dues. There were two people who cancelled membership cheques and they will have to start the membership and Range Officer process over from scratch. Everyone was able to win and this will be recorded as the greatest thing to happen to our range... it will make it so that we can achieve our dreams.

Thank you very much for your kind support. Tolerance, understanding and co-operation won the day and the good honest Councillors understood that we had negotiated the deal in good faith with the understanding that there would not be a substantive change to the lease. We set out to do this in a win win win manner and everyone in Lethbridge has won today and that was a critical factor in our success.

That being said... We all believe that we were bullied and I believe that the bullying has to stop at all levels. I was really disappointed when the conversations started bullying the police and the people at the city. These people are only trying to do their job and we should tolerate, understand and try our damnedest to work in a cooperative manner. When we look at this situation from their perspective it makes it easier to discuss the real issues. I really appreciated the individuals who brought the conversation back to a focus within our set of values and brought us to a place where everyone can and did win.

Now we just need a ton of volunteers to keep our end of the promise. subscribe on our website and make sure you list the areas you want to volunteer. Some of the areas will be RO's for community open houses, community education programs etc. as well as the other maintenance stuff.

Thank you again!!

Rick Blakeley, President
Lethbridge Fish and Game Association
PS, I hear that the LGR is now history as well...