Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Default 6.8 Rem SPC Cartridge?

6.8 Rem SPC Cartridge?

Is this legal to hunt with here? Anyone shoot it or know more about it? Any opinions on it?

See that hornady has some 110 gr ammo for it...and Rem has 115 gr including core lokt ultra bonded at 2625 fps....hunting bullet?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Inside 300 yds, this would be probably the best beginner's round in existance. Not getting much support from rifle manufacturers. Ruger is making a ranch rifle version right now. Most others are on AR platform. Cartridge and bullet is legal and deer capable.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Is this legal to hunt with here?
Why wouldn't it be legal? Some of the rifles they are producing it in likely aren't but the calibre is over .23.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Default 6.8 Spc

I had very little interest in the 6.8 SPC till Wolverine Supplies informed me that this is on the way. It will come chambered for 5.56 NATO, I bought it for a fun coyote rig, but they should have caliber conversions for it in 6.8 and 7.62X39 in the next year or so, making it a fun little deer gun.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

Just wanted to be sure. I'm obsessed with auto-loaders...now i've got my bolt actions done and out of the way...i'll soon be able to play with the auto-loaders i've been dreaming about for years now. The Acurracy Systems Inc. version of a mini-14 in this caliber has me super intrigued at the moment. Hope i can get one here...a regular mini from ruger won't likely cut it for my accuracy needs but if they do a target version....maybe....think i'd rather spend on the modified version. I spent a bit of time going over ballistics and i'm in love...what a fun to shoot little rig that would be...could be my dream wolf calling rig...with a side of deer and maybe even a sheep someday....gush.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Lol, yeah..we must have been posting same time...didn't see the gun pic until i last posted. I think the ruger custom will fit in my eberlestock pack much better...but still...the more options to auto-loaders the better imo. I want a pure sporter/hunter build up. The bell & carlson stock from the Accuracy Systems website and the very dull satin finish and plain jane look is what i'd be after. A decent variable scope with multiple hash marks for the 3-400 yrd learning and i'd be all set...burris ff2 with bp reticle in 3-9x40 would do just fine...or maybe the 2-7...eitherway...i'm all over this like a duck on a june bug!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 PM

I've fanticized about a Ruger Mini SPC as a coyote/wolf calling rifle. Be a great way to pull off doubles etc. AR is more accurate out of the box, but not legal for hunting in Canada. 6.8SPC is legal every which way in Alberta. Mighty impressive ballistics from such a tiny case. Fits all standard 223 magazines with no mods.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Stinky,

I'll have to check out those guys website. I've always wanted to love the Mini-14 but Minute of Barn door rifles bore me real quick.

What does one of those Accuracy Systems Inc. go for? Not that it matters much for us Canucks, all the 'good/accurate' semis in 223 or 6.8 aren't cheap....
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Ruger DOES make a target version of the mini 14.....I have one for sale as the semi auto and 12yr old shooter is not the best mix. It is very accurate and I have put 20 rounds into just over 1" and 5 rounds into 5/8 with hornady 50 gr sp handloads.....don't sell the ruger short.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ini_prices.php thats the website for the mini-14 stuff...i like the bell & carlson stock best, i'd be after function over everything...no need for all the accessory rails and fancy target stocks etc. and the dark grey satin finish would be perfect...would love to know what barrel length would be best for that cartridge?...and not sure i'd go with a muzzle brake...would need to research that more...the one with all the holes out the end of the barrel looks interesting but does it work then? Don't want to wear ear protection (while hunting) but would like to tame recoil for follow up work if possible to have cake and eat it too?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Cool Minis

Cool site, Stinky. Lots of options in configuration and caliber. The prices don't seem unreasonable either, especially with our dollar at par or better. Were I going that route, my line of reasoning would be similar to yours..... function first. I like the plainer more subdued finishes also. That 'quiet brake' looks interesting, I wonder how well it works?

A .204 Ruger would be fun.......

There are Canadian companies who specialize in importing firearms for individuals...... that type of rifle should be fairly easy to get. I understand they import restricted stuff regularly, can't see a Mini being a problem.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

know any of these companies?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Questar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
know any of these companies?
Yup........... Questar

These guys are supposed to be great to deal with.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM

To me this is one of those wait and see rounds. I don't get the impression that it's going to be adopted by the US military, and the best way to kill a good idea is to put the word remington behind it, and the ballisitcs are to boring for it to succes dispite of the remington curse. And as I understand it is a new case so you can't even make some if it was to be dropped.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM

aulrich,

My interest in the round is based more on the common platform for it and the expanded capabilities it gives said platform. IE; AR15, Mini 14, Robarms XCR, etc.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Weird...wonder why Ruger would introduce it for the mini then? (and yup...even listed on wholesale sports website 'all weather ranch in 6.8' for 799.00)?

Cripes...they could have introduced a target in .204 before a ranch in 6.8....and sold more?.....Ruger is always late/behind the times (if they ever make what you think they should....ie; heavy barrel mini...only took em a couple decades to get that one out)...so it really puzzles me that they'd introduce the 6.8 for the mini if its a doomed cartridge....hmmmm?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM

Don't get me wrong I am all for more guns. and I guess in the AR type platforms even if it does get dropped you can morph the gun into something else.

Hornady 45 bushmaster (Ithink thats the name) is a twist in the concept as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

I'll do some more reading on it but shame if it goes...i'm still probably gonna get one...something will force me to get into reloading...might as well be this. Been out since around 2004 hasn't it...i suppose thats only 3 yrs. Wonder how popular it has become? Hope that the bazillions of AR fans in the states keep this one alive?....the ruger mini in this must help also?