Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
I shot a nice bull moose this setember with a striker. Only a little bigger than a montec. The shot was a complete pass through both lungs. There was no blood trail not even a drop. So I agree that fixed blade doesnt produce much for a blood trail. But I didnt need one because the moose tipped over in less than 15 yards and was dead in under 30 seconds. With that being said and lookin at the photos provided, which to me show the montec would've clipped the entry side lung and went right through the exit side lung. Even if the entry side lung wasnt clipped the deer was running on 50% or less lung capacity. One tough deer! IMO it wouldnt have lived through the first time a coyote put a chase on let alone the winter. Good you got to finish the job. Thanks for sharing.
I wouldnt go as far to say that...maybe the correct term would be.. the low profile fixed broadheads hit mid or high on animal from modern 300FPS bows...
large fixed heads of years ago used with slower FPS bows used to leave blood baths...as can the low profile with low one third body hits...

Neil
Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
The last time I used a mechanical was in 2008, I shot a 200 plus inch whitetail at 21 yards slightly quartering away, the shot was maybe a bit far back but good enough, I was using 100 grain spitfires, upon hitting the deer I was super pumped, but when the deer turned to run the arrow looked to be in his armpit and fell out not 10 yards later. We went back the next morning and tracked him for 7 hours, thanks to my wife who finally found him but he was far from dead, we chased him the rest of the day and finally tired him out enough for another shot. After inspection the mechanical spitfire had obviously opened on one blade first and it zippered open the side of the deers hide and ended up lodging in the armpit hitting nothing vital. He had enough of an injury with his hide being split open and his armpit festering that we were able to catch up to him.
After this experience I was a changed shooter.
I did this exact thing long ago with a Montec and recovered the deer also....was really cold, deer bedded a couple hundred yards away, I gave a few hours and easily got within range to finish. I wonder if a reaper would have maybe done better?

I watch lots more drop in sight since I switched from montecs to reapers several years back. Still lovin the reapers.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

I checked how long it's been since I switched to reapers and last critter of 2010 season (65 yrd wt) I took with a reaper, been hooked ever since, so I guess that makes 6 seasons I've been using them now. Almost as many seasons now with those vs mostly fixed and mostly montecs but when I dabbled here and there with other mechanicals I was impressed with kills also, just didn't like things about other heads until the reaper and really the only thing I don't like about reapers is the cheesy name/image but I'm over it now...they are the broad head to have!

I've mostly killed with original 1 3/8 razortip but took a big Muley two years ago with a 1 3/4 razortip at 50 and he maybe went 40 so already took one this year with the original...60 yard a
Shot and 40 yard recovery but season still going and have some of those 1 3/4 in the quiver to finish with.