Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Despite all the smart Alec remarks in this thread.. I think using a .243 on small targets such as gophers, would improve your shooting skills as a hunter. I own a .243, and will be using it in the field on Grass Rats, as well as .22lr, .17hmr and .223. Its your dime for the ammo.... but double check with the land owner that its ok with him/her.. dont just assume it is.

I know a guy that uses a .458win mag for gophers in Saskatchewan for kicks.... although he did not use powerful handloads, lol
Well of course you agree with him, you're a mod, you either agree or ban him. Either way, it's a dumb arse question, too much or not enough? Gėmme a break, can anybody here ever respond serioulsy????????? If he's so interested as some may suggest in small target acquisition, then why not participate in postal match or the challenges that 260Rem has issued??? But nooooooo, better to ask silly questions and get silly answers such as any one of the above.

Is it OK for me to say that this is one of the stupedest questions I've ever seen asked and that I think that the OP is just looking for attention? or is this out of line?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well of course you agree with him, you're a mod, you either agree or ban him. Either way, it's a dumb arse question, too much or not enough? Gėmme a break, can anybody here ever respond serioulsy????????? If he's so interested as some may suggest in small target acquisition, then why not participate in postal match or the challenges that 260Rem has issued??? But nooooooo, better to ask silly questions and get silly answers such as any one of the above.

Is it OK for me to say that this is one of the stupedest questions I've ever seen asked and that I think that the OP is just looking for attention? or is this out of line?
No I don't think your out of line, IMHO there are too many stupid questions on here. No need to specify because we can all see them. No problem if somebody really need to know something but why was your time on here. Oh by the way anybody seen any gophers? Sheesh gimme a break
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

I loaded up some 60 gn sxsp loads for my son's .243. Velocities were kept below 3200 fps and they worked fine for him. in fact, he nailed a gopher at 300 meters and the critters head exploded in a cloud of red mist... I was watching through the spotting scope.
Downright impressive.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
We are just kidding the op, but I am going to buy a 50 cal. and take them little buggers out at a thousand yards. LOL
I'm NOT kidding the OP, it's a stupid dumb arse question....too much or not enough? gimme a break.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
No I don't think your out of line, IMHO there are too many stupid questions on here. No need to specify because we can all see them. No problem if somebody really need to know something but why was your time on here. Oh by the way anybody seen any gophers? Sheesh gimme a break
Well then, why ask such a silly question? Gophers have been culled with 22 rimfires for ages. I've shot them with my 444 Marlin using reduced loads, need I ask anyone if it's OK, NOOOOO, I just do it without permission or opinions.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well of course you agree with him, you're a mod, you either agree or ban him.
You make very little sense. If your fingers are typing are writing checks it can't cash.. proceed.......
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I bought a243win last year didn't get time to use it,was wondering if ok for gophers?
Basically your using a sledge hammer to drive thumb tacks!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
I bought a243win last year didn't get time to use it,was wondering if ok for gophers?
6mm rem would have been my choice longer neck is nice and also helps cut down on throat erosion.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM

well I've gone through 70 rounds so far , would be pricey if it wasn't yellow jacket .
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Banned

243 is a perfect gopher round
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM

To the OP...you've been both praised and pooped on ---all seemed to make valid points. All I can add.. For those of us that enjoy the "social" aspect of shooting gophers, any centerfire is frowned upon. Like our prey, we like to sit in groups and chat (while waiting for new targets to present themselves). Our connection with nature just doesn't seem the same while wearing a set of "ears" ....
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM

While there are many smaller calibers than .243 that will kill gophers, all the way down to the humble .22LR. I agree with AB that shooting gophers with bigger stuff can improve your skills. I know I am going to try shooting gophers out at 300-600 yards this year with my 6.5x55 as I have never shot that far and I have the space to do so at my brother in-laws in Sask. Will it improve my shooting skills, I would be surprised if it didn't. Will it be cheap, hell no but who cares when I just going to shoot it at the range anyways. Will it be a lot of fun, heck yes!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM

Default .243 for gophers

You could use a .243 for gophers, but I'm with elk 11 on this one. You would be visiting your favourite gunsmith in a hurry. Now, if you had 2 or 3 varmint guns and could rotate them things might work out quite well!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Use 308. Or exploding ammo. Or shotgun. )
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Ever see the YouTube video of a .50 caliber Barrett sniper gun taking out Taliban in the Afgan mountains? Well that would be quite comparable as that load would completely disintegrate them on impact, all you would see in your scope would be a cloud of blood and nothing left LOL.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM

There are two main drawbacks to using a 243 for gophers.

1. Its far more expensive than a 22LR/17HMR/.223
2. Its louder, and this may keep some of the gophers in their holes longer than a calibre with a lesser report.

But you'll have better range and far less wind drift.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Not joking was wondering if loads were to strong .
Are you planning on eating the little darlings
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned

243 isn't too big.... its bigger than required though.
It'll also cost you in a full day what a decent 22 would cost plus ammo and a scope.

It also might not be welcomed by some land owners for a number of reasons.

Otherwise its your dime... fill yer boots.