Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Question Ruger 1911

Anybody here have a Ruger SR1911? How do you like it?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM

I purchased one of these last fall and I'm very impressed.
Frankly I've never been a big Ruger fan, they're generally durable and tough, reliable guns, but often clunky and sometimes not that well finished. The SR1911 is however, not this way at all.
I've only put about 300 rounds through mine so far and I've had a couple of fail to feed's using the UMC 230 grain hardball's. I'm not worried about these failures, at least not yet anyway, I think a break in period is to be expected and the extractor hook is very tight which is, I think, the problem. I've put some 200 grain hollow point reloads through it as well with varying degrees of success, again this doesn't worry me as the 1911 was never designed for hollow point bullets anyway.
I tore my gun down to individual pieces to see if there were any burs or tool marks that I could smoothen out and was delighted to see how well the gun was finished inside! Not what I expected at all on a gun this cheap. Mind you, if CZ can make a good quality gun for this kind of money then so should Ruger be able to, it's just that the 1911 craze has driven the prices to unrealistic proportions.
The trigger would be my only bone of contention. It's light enough, but a bit draggy. In fairness though, it's getting better all the time as it breaks in. I'm noticing my groups shrink as the trigger gets better too. I'm no pistolero at the best of times but I can put a mag into 3 or 4 inches at 10 yards without too much trouble.
This gun is pure series 70 Colt and I've heard that the parts interchange, I know for a fact that Colt mags work in it.
I think the value for the money is outstanding. You get some custom features such as extended beavertail, aluminum skeletonized trigger, NovaK sights, a seven and an eight round magazine, all for half the price of a similar equipped Kimber.
I'm not saying it's a Kimber because it's not as tight as one, but it is a lot less money than a Kimber and I'd recommend one to anybody!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM

I like the fit and finish of mine, seems like good bang for the buck, just need to find time to play with it at the range.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 PM

For the price and in stainless, you can't beat it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM

Smile

Thanks for the info! I do not have my RPAL yet, hoping to get it this spring yet, and then go from there....

Tags
1911, ruger, sr1911