Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Bear hunting

Anyone going bear hunting from Edmonton area? Send me a pm.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
Looking for someone to go mulie, whitetail, or elk hunting this fall during rifle season. I'm not picky as to what we hunt if you have something specific you want to hunt. Just moved to Calgary, so anywhere around 4 hours from there is fine. I been hunting in BC for the last 5 years with a few moose, deer, and bear down. I can drive, share gas, share meat the usual situation. I'm 27 PM for any more information. If no one is interested thats fine i'll head out solo anyways. If you want to scout or go to the range in the spring summer i am up for that as well.

Moe.

Pm. me out, im looking for someone to go out for scouting, this year is my first season to hunt, i read lots from experience hunter about big games habitats but never had chance to see them, except tons of mule deer....didn't draw any tag but, i'll try my best...
Bunch of places in my list to checkout before the season... we can head out every weekend till big game season opens...
Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Hey everyone. First time poster on this forum. My buddy told me about it and he said there are great hunting tips here so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm 26 a machinist apprentice from Edmonton grew up in a small town outside of Edmonton I've been hunting since I was 15 my grandpa taught me how. I still hunting or anything for a while after my wife and I had our beautiful daughter and now that she is getting older I'm going to try and pick up where I left off. Just a few questions as well. Has anyone hunted the calmar area or millet? Thanks guys! And gals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Looking for Hunting Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to hunting and looking for a hunting partner. I live in Calgary. Have all the gear and even a Rokon for getting in the bush. Was looking for a mentor that may be able to help me learn about wildlife tracking and different hunting techniques. My reason for hunting is to experience the oldest form of initiation. And gain the knowledge that comes with it.

Been out a couple seasons trying a few crown land areas. But no luck yet. Probably due to my lack of experiences. I'm planning on heading out every second weekend, as I have every second Friday off.

My Background:
Got a business Degree from Mount Royal, I work for the City of Calgary Water department doing Project Reporting. Was in the Naval Reserves as an Officer.

If anyone is willing to Team up please let me know. I'll be doing scouting missions all summer.

- Mark
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Can you send a pic of the Rokon?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Hey all. Just looking for anyone with draws in 404 I have a bull elk tag and looking for anyone that might wanna team up for a couple hunts. Someone that has a cow tag would be perfect but whatever.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanf View Post
Hey all. Just looking for anyone with draws in 404 I have a bull elk tag and looking for anyone that might wanna team up for a couple hunts. Someone that has a cow tag would be perfect but whatever.
I drew antlered mule in there. I literally just moved to Alberta a couple of months ago and although I did some internet research, my draw choices where not based on any real knowledge, it was one of the few spots I figured had a chance with no priority. I hear it is a rugged spot.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 AM

Hi all, I'm interested in deer hunting in the Bonnyville or Lac La Biche areas for deer, as I travel there for work (I'm based in Edmonton). I've hunted with a rifle for years, but want to bowhunt this year to extend my time out. I also hunt out west in 339 if anyone would be interested. Have gear (truck quad camper) but mainly looking for day trips. Ethics are important; I like to be out there, getting something isn't critical. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Gonna throw my hat into the ring.

I am 31 and a family man, live 15 minutes north of Edmonton, and work Shift work. I wont be hunting this year, but would like to gain some experience, even if its just to go out and hang some tree stands. Im not afraid of hardwork.

I've never been hunting in my life. Now that i have kids i want to raise them up with the experiences i was never able to get. My boy likes to fish and he's learning to shoot a bow this summer, and the girl is still too young to really be into anything besides naps and baby dolls.

any advice/experience would be more than welcomed, thanks for reading.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Gonna throw my hat into the ring.

I am 31 and a family man, live 15 minutes north of Edmonton, and work Shift work. I wont be hunting this year, but would like to gain some experience, even if its just to go out and hang some tree stands. Im not afraid of hardwork.

I've never been hunting in my life. Now that i have kids i want to raise them up with the experiences i was never able to get. My boy likes to fish and he's learning to shoot a bow this summer, and the girl is still too young to really be into anything besides naps and baby dolls.

any advice/experience would be more than welcomed, thanks for reading.

Hi, I am 25. I would like to call myself a experienced rifle hunter, I don't use stands, I haven't used a bow in my life. I have been hunting ever since I was 14, even before that age I was hunting small things with my slingshot and pellet gun. I would love to show you how to rifle hunt if your interested, it's alot of walking sitting listening and really just learning more about the land and the animals that we share it with.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Default New to Alberta

Hi guys,

I'm new to Alberta, just got to Calgary through my father's business (oil & gas). I'm 23 years old, grew up mostly in Europe and have hunted before in Europe and Africa where I lived and worked.
Most of my hunting "skills" were taught to me by my father. However I have never hunted in Canada and I would love to build up my knowledge of hunting, tracking, bush craft and much more. Hunting for me is not about bagging the limit but more about being outdoors and enjoying nature. THe most beautiful thing God has left us...

Shooting is not an issue for me, have been around firearms since I was little and as a hobby I took up clay shooting and all other sorts of shooting. And I already possess a PAL/ RPAL.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Elk near hinton

Hey boys! How's your day going? I'm just throwing it out there. I'm 32, a carpenter, and an avid hunter, I've been chasing public land elk for three years now and am looking for a new hunting partner around my age. I like to go without machines and have a trailer and all the gear. Want to pack and hike hard all day, and enjoy some whiskey by the fire at night. Looking to head out early to mid September if someone is looking for a partner.PM me if this sounds like a match for you. Thanks fellas.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Looking for a hunting buddy , that wants to get out this year for big game as well as birds , and fishing , pretty much anything outdoors. I hunt bow and rifle.

I am 36 living in south Calgary and usually hunt south of the city , as I do have some access to the south , but would really like to get out and gain some new access.

PM me if your interested , maybe can go grab a beer or something !!
Old 07-29-2017, 10:00 PM

Looking for a hunting partner for archery moose or elk. Possible dates are aug 29 - sept 4. I'm set up for a back pack hunt, but open to other options if you have the gear. Shoot me a pm if you might be interested.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Looking for someone to go bow hunting with I'm flexible on dates and areas gonna try for a elk or moose with general tags I'm geared up for overnight backpacking

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 AM

Tried this awhile ago to no avail , so now close to hunting season I will try again , someone has to be out there ! ( just copying and pasting my last entry )

So going to kind of lay it out on the line here,so I do apologize. After a few brutally failed hunting buddy's, I am looking for a new buddy.

Bit about myself first. I am 35/male living in deep s.e calgary and married. Incase of old buddy's on here I will leave it at that for the time being.

I am looking for a buddy around same age, and lives somewhat close. Can be a seasoned hunter or a newbie, does not matter. I am looking for someone to get out soon with coyote hunting and get some door knocking done to find some permission and get into great for next year season as I have had 3 bad seasons in a row now. I would like to hunt deer, elk and anything else possible as well as game birds. I would love to explore camping and hunting as well, as I hope to get outfitters tent soon. I would also love the idea of horseback hunting and I do have access to a couple horses.

A buddy that ice fish's in the winter would also be ideal.

I'm looking for someone to go for beers with, and wing nights during the year. And just an all around good friend.

Let me know if you are interested!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Well, I'll try again this year and see if I can find a buddy.

I am 32 years old and love the outdoors. I have an almost 2 year old boy and a wonderful wife who lets me off the leash for most of the season. I live in High Prairie and usually hunt on public land north of town. I go for elk, mule deer, and WT. let me know if you want a buddy or would want to accompany me sometime!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:13 AM

27 year old male from Edmonton looking for an elk hunting partner. I'll be rifle hunting. I have a trip booked from Sept 15-24. Gonna use the first few days for scouting. The area I'll be hunting will be west of Rocky Mountain House towards the mountains. Looking for someone with some elk experience as this is my first time. I have spots picked out. Just looking for someone who is willing to teach. The plan is to have a base camp and do a lot of walking and spend a night here or there camping from the backpack if needed. If you're interested in joining for all or part of the trip let me know.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 AM

Got some time off in Oct and looking to partner up to hunt general WT deer and possibly elk.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Hi, was wondering if you found anyone to hunt with yet? I had planned on an elk trip with a friend but due to a family emergency he will not be able to go as planned. I am a bow hunter primarily, but was planning on rifle hunting this trip for elk. I have been hunting in Alberta for only a few years, as I am from BC. I have some experience with elk but mainly moose and deer. I am still going, but would rather hunt with a partner. I know you are looking for a partner experienced in elk hunting so would understand if I'm not what you are looking for . Let me know what you think.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 PM

Hi, I'm living in calgary till the end of October for school and was wondering if anyone wanted to bring a new to bird hunting guy out one weekend and teach him some things.

I have never been and always wanted to learn but have never had the chance. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it further. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Default Bird game .

Mid 50s, Edmonton NE guy, looking to team up for a some bird game hunts.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Hunting Partner

I am a 70 year old male and a serious hunter. I have had many hunting partners over the years and have been in a number of hunt gangs in Ontario, where party hunting is allowed. I have been in Alberta since 1980 and have
hunted deer, elk, or moose in most of the foothills MMUs from Coleman in the south to Valleyview in the North. Unfortunately, every one I have hunted with has either died off or moved away. I have been hunting deer by myself for the
last 10 or so years but A) it is not as much fun as when you have company,
B) my wife is concerned that I might hurt myself or have a medical emergency
while deep in the bush or camping by myself in places where no one knows where to find me, or C) I can not hunt anything larger than a deer or anything away back off a road because I am just not as strong as I used to be. I am retired so I am able to go almost any time. I have a complete inventory of camping and hunting supplies including a 4x4 and a RV trailer, if needed. I do not care how old or experienced you are as long as you are serious about hunting. I do enjoy a couple of beer in the evening but do not allow any drinking during the hunting day. I am a firm believer in gun safety and safety in general. If you would be interested in learning more, do not hesitate to reply. By the way, I live in Calgary but have had hunting partners in Edmonton and elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Default Hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, an old hunter View Post
I am a 70 year old male and a serious hunter. I have had many hunting partners over the years and have been in a number of hunt gangs in Ontario, where party hunting is allowed. I have been in Alberta since 1980 and have
hunted deer, elk, or moose in most of the foothills MMUs from Coleman in the south to Valleyview in the North. Unfortunately, every one I have hunted with has either died off or moved away. I have been hunting deer by myself for the
while deep in the bush or camping by myself in places where no one knows where to find me, or C) I can not hunt anything larger than a deer or anything away back off a road because I am just not as strong as I used to be. I am retired so I am able to go almost any time. I have a complete inventory of camping and hunting supplies including a 4x4 and a RV trailer, if needed. I do not care how old or experienced you are as long as you are serious about hunting. I do enjoy a couple of beer in the evening but do not allow any drinking during the hunting day. I am a firm believer in gun safety and safety in general. If you would be interested in learning more, do not hesitate to reply. By the way, I live in Calgary but have had hunting partners in Edmonton and elsewhere.
Hi Tom,
My name is Tyler. I'm interested in your offer for a hunting companion. I'm 43, married with three kids.
Last year was my first year back into hunting in almost 20 years so I consider myself a newbie. My father used to own a guiding outfit in Northern BC for 17 years so I grew up hunting and guiding as a young guy. I have my own truck and shoot with a 300 WM. I am self sufficient and would not be a pain in the ass. Not afraid to work hard and enjoy the fruits of our labour! I am all about gun safety and never drink during hunting. Send me a personal message and we can coordinate a meet and greet as I live in SW Calgary.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Default New Hunter looking for mentor

Hey everyone, I'm a 27 year old guy based out of Calgary, I'm looking to start bow hunting next season, I started archery in the spring but I'm not comfortable enough with my shot yet to hunt with it, but I still wanted to get a head start this season. I don't really have anyone around who hunts to learn from. I'm looking for someone who would be willing to teach a new guy the ropes in exchange for help packing out an animal. I'm not too picky on what we would be hunting or whether it's with a rifle or a bow, I just want to get out there and start learning. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 PM

Default Hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty_450 View Post
Hey guys. Looking for groups around North Battleford area to start chasing ducks and geese with. Have decoys,gun,blind. Usually hunt water. Looking to start field hunting this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, an old hunter View Post
Hello Tom, I read your post and wander if you have found a hunting partner. I am in the exact same situation this year. I am retired and I live in Calgary. My wife is also concerned about my safety and also it is not to much fun to hunt alone. I have permission to hunt (usually) in a big section of land not very far from Calgary. I hunted for almost forty years in Ontario (bow) and since 2001 in Alberta (gun only). As I previously stated since I am retired, like you, I am free to go anytime. I will leave my phone number If you will be interested to talk more. One more thing, I will be on holiday in Europe from July 30 returning September 17. My name is Massimo and this is my cell #(403)472-1947
Old 08-06-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimotocco View Post
Hello Tom, I read your post and wander if you have found a hunting partner. I am in the exact same situation this year. I am retired and I live in Calgary. My wife is also concerned about my safety and also it is not to much fun to hunt alone. I have permission to hunt (usually) in a big section of land not very far from Calgary. I hunted for almost forty years in Ontario (bow) and since 2001 in Alberta (gun only). As I previously stated since I am retired, like you, I am free to go anytime. I will leave my phone number If you will be interested to talk more. One more thing, I will be on holiday in Europe from July 30 returning September 17. My name is Massimo and this is my cell #(403)472-1947
My name is Ted and I just moved to Olds from B.C. I am also retired and looking to find people to hunt with. As the username says I mostly hunt birds, waterfowl and upland, but do hunt deer and bear. Anyone interested can call my cell (778)549-4212 or PM me.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 AM

I'm in Calgary as well. 59 years young, all the toys, but the old network has fallen apart. If you could use a 3rd wheel, please let me know. Rifle-bow-early-late.

Last edited by Bowser; 09-02-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Bow as well
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Looking for relaxed upland hunter in SE Calgary

I'm touching 70 now, two dog / pets / Britts for Huns n the odd pheasant. Like to go during the week SE of Calgary. You must be prepared to share lunch with dogs, they expect that!!

I would like someone to enjoy the casual trips with, I generally get out 2 or 3 time a week, from 8 - 9ish to 3ish from late Sept. on. In addition have small trailer set up for geese c/w blinds, and extra goose / duck decoys, I will only shoot from willow blind now due to mobility issues and really that's just the way I like it.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Looking for Hunting Partner or Team for rifle Deer hunting

I am a 53 year old CF Veteran looking to team up with an experienced hunter and/or team to hunt for general Whitetail and/or late season general Elk anywhere within a few hours drive of Edmonton region. I hunt rifle only. I am still relatively new to hunting in Alberta so I am looking for a Hunter or Team that already knows good productive hunting areas and/or have been given access to private lands. I would prefer to hunt Whitetails during the rut in November. I have 14 years of Whitetail hunting and a career of safe firearms handling experience. I am fully geared; although, I do not have an outfitter tent or camper of my own. I am a non smoker and light social drinker. Cheers.