Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Question for you "low carb" folks

I've been trying to reduce my carb intake since the start of August. I did the full Keto thing for the first two months, but I had no intentions of making that a lifestyle. According to my weight guessing device I have lost 25-30 lbs and I didn't gain it all back over the holidays.

The thing that has been the hardest for me to give up is bread. I like my bread. I like toast and jam, I like soft eggs on toast. I like bagels. I like sandwiches and wraps. I like pizza. I like garlic bread with my steak. You get the picture, I like bread.

I don't mind having a lettuce wrap for a sandwich or a burger. I don't mind a "pizza" casserole. But I still miss bread. All of the low carb breads I have tried are either not bread (wrong taste/texture) or are downright disgusting.

Anybody got a descent low carb bread?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 PM

You don’t have to give up carbs

Just have one day every week where you binge on carbs.

You’ll actually grow to hate bread believe it or not.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-02-2019, 02:52 PM

I get it - cutting out the white foodstuff is the hardest part of any low carb diet.

Don't know if you're into making your own bread or if you prefer to buy it, but this was the most palatable bread I could find that was sprouted. It's called Essene Bread - weighs as much as a brick and is as dense as one, too. But it's not bad with fruit or butter and you can play around with the recipe.

You have to be able to grind the sprouted seeds - so you need a pretty powerful food processor and patience, since you need to sprout the seeds. Or, you can just buy a loaf to see if you like it before experimenting. I know Loblaw's carries it.

Here's one recipe, there are lots of them on the 'net:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...d-bread-324437
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 PM

If you are in Calgary Lake View Bakery. There are two the Southern one is gluten free exclusive and they have sour dough you will be surprised by and the cupcakes are nasty little buggers as well.

Now what the carb content is (ingredient list in general) I don't know but they will talk to you on the phone about all there stuff.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Low carb filler baked goods are even more of a waste of chewing than normal starches and baked goods. Eat fruits and veggies dairy and fatty meat. Let your body have some nutrition from your food instead of all these overpriced cardboard foods. Your body is addicted to the easy burning starches. Give your body something quality to digest, and youll eventually eat less and have more energy.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM

You can’t have it both ways. Bread is junk....

Bread rises in the yeast and sets in the waist..
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

I don't fully agree with ^ this idea, but I used to be in the same bread-loving boat. First thing I did was say goodbye to white bread and only eat whole wheat/whole grain/seedy types. Since UNLIKE white bread, you seldom eat it those types because they're so awesome tasting...so I found I ate a whole lot less of it. The seedier it was, the more I started to like it..and I just bought what I needed. A sandwich once a week, toast a few times a week, that sort of thing.

If I'm out for dinner, or order a pizza...yes...white bread is the way I'll usually go..but I found it easy to eat less if it wasn't the white stuff. I've never smoked or had an alcohol addiction..but up until maybe 4-5 years ago, I took way too much pleasure in food and it showed. Things like dropping cream and sugar from coffee, little to no juice, no sugary pops, only desserts I loved to eat (instead of every one that crossed my path)=all contributed to a healthier lifestyle, and a pile of weight loss. For me, had to be small adjustments to stick..and they mostly have.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Carbs and sugar are indeed an addicting couple of things.

My ‘carb cheat days’ tend to also be long run - hike days when I’m training.

If you use sugar and carbs like hi-test fuel, you’d be amazed how it helps you. Hi text fuel requires heavy engine work.

I gotta admit. I’ve been totally eating whatever for the past two weeks.

I feel like crap.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Check YouTube and other resources. If you or your other half bake you can easily make keto friendly bread out of coconut or almond flour.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:19 PM

Pasta is my nemesis!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM

Default bread

Ive been trying light rye bread lately,its not as gummy as some of the others ive tried ,not sure of the carbs though.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
You can’t have it both ways. Bread is junk....

Bread rises in the yeast and sets in the waist..
Amen

Bread is garbage food. Pure and simple. Cheap and easy and that's why fast food places use it exclusively.

If you want a slice, have one. Once a month.

I guarantee this year I wont eat the equivalent of a loaf of bread. Wont happen. likely Ill drink 8 gallons of rum, but that's not the issue......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Amen

Bread is garbage food. Pure and simple. Cheap and easy and that's why fast food places use it exclusively.

If you want a slice, have one. Once a month.

I guarantee this year I wont eat the equivalent of a loaf of bread. Wont happen. likely Ill drink 8 gallons of rum, but that's not the issue......
Bwahahaha
Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I've been trying to reduce my carb intake since the start of August. I did the full Keto thing for the first two months, but I had no intentions of making that a lifestyle. According to my weight guessing device I have lost 25-30 lbs and I didn't gain it all back over the holidays.

The thing that has been the hardest for me to give up is bread. I like my bread. I like toast and jam, I like soft eggs on toast. I like bagels. I like sandwiches and wraps. I like pizza. I like garlic bread with my steak. You get the picture, I like bread.

I don't mind having a lettuce wrap for a sandwich or a burger. I don't mind a "pizza" casserole. But I still miss bread. All of the low carb breads I have tried are either not bread (wrong taste/texture) or are downright disgusting.

ARG

Best thing I ever did was give up carbs/grains/sugars, its not good food for anyone. Probably not what you want to hear, IMO keto is not meant to be a full time diet more of a reset. I am personally always on that low carb/keto fence where I can go back and forth. Ive been getting by with cauliflower crust and almond flour if Im feeling the urge. I have a feeling if you want to have a piece of bread now and then you wont feel good afterwards, I sure don't.
I got a little too festive the last month so Im doing something a little extreme. Full carnivore for the month of January, on day 3 and feeling good. I have a freezer full of beef, elk and deer and that's all I will be eating with a side of eggs and butter. Watching many people online doing it and thriving, one month cant hurt?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
Best thing I ever did was give up carbs/grains/sugars, its not good food for anyone. Probably not what you want to hear, IMO keto is not meant to be a full time diet more of a reset. I am personally always on that low carb/keto fence where I can go back and forth. Ive been getting by with cauliflower crust and almond flour if Im feeling the urge. I have a feeling if you want to have a piece of bread now and then you wont feel good afterwards, I sure don't.
I got a little too festive the last month so Im doing something a little extreme. Full carnivore for the month of January, on day 3 and feeling good. I have a freezer full of beef, elk and deer and that's all I will be eating with a side of eggs and butter. Watching many people online doing it and thriving, one month cant hurt?

Dr Shawn Baker is an athletic machine and he only eats meat no veggies or other carbs of any variety. It’s an extreme lifestyle but you can’t disprove his blood work or his level of activness.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Keto

Doing the Keto diet for a month to do a bit of a reset to my weight. Looked into it and have heard from a few people that it's a good diet to do, not for a long time though.
So far, lost 2 pounds in 3 days, cut out the carbs such as bread, pasta, junk food, watching my sugar intake as well. I would say my daily carb intake is now under 50g for sure. I am feeling a little weak for sure but that should go away within a week once my body adjusts to the change.
The way I see it, it's a pretty good diet in which I can still eat a lot of good stuff and actually see results quickly. We'll see where I am in a month.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Doing the Keto diet for a month to do a bit of a reset to my weight. Looked into it and have heard from a few people that it's a good diet to do, not for a long time though.
So far, lost 2 pounds in 3 days, cut out the carbs such as bread, pasta, junk food, watching my sugar intake as well. I would say my daily carb intake is now under 50g for sure. I am feeling a little weak for sure but that should go away within a week once my body adjusts to the change.
The way I see it, it's a pretty good diet in which I can still eat a lot of good stuff and actually see results quickly. We'll see where I am in a month.
I was strictly keto for almost a year and got shredded at 225lbs. Was unable to put any new muscle on however as I attribute it to low glycogen stores. I do believe in keto for losing fat, having high energy and it helping other ailments though.

You will notice a huge energy level switch ones your body starts burning ketones. The low energy level or weakness you are experiencing is from withdrawal from cutting out carbs and sugars. You will bounce back with vigour. Trust me..
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

I'm not much of a binger... I did expect to have cheat days, but I have been surprised by how few and far between they have been, last week of December excepted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I get it - cutting out the white foodstuff is the hardest part of any low carb diet.

Don't know if you're into making your own bread or if you prefer to buy it, but this was the most palatable bread I could find that was sprouted. It's called Essene Bread - weighs as much as a brick and is as dense as one, too. But it's not bad with fruit or butter and you can play around with the recipe.
Should have mentioned, I don't eat much white bread. I have a whole wheat/seed bread recipe that I have tuned to my liking over the years. I estimate it is 20-25 grams of carbs per slice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
If you are in Calgary Lake View Bakery. There are two the Southern one is gluten free exclusive and they have sour dough you will be surprised by and the cupcakes are nasty little buggers as well.

Now what the carb content is (ingredient list in general) I don't know but they will talk to you on the phone about all there stuff.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Can't see the cupcakes fitting into "low carb", but might be good for a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Check YouTube and other resources. If you or your other half bake you can easily make keto friendly bread out of coconut or almond flour.
I've been looking. The ones I have tried are better suited to hand-to-hand combat rather than eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Pasta is my nemesis!!!
I have made egg plant lasagna for many years and have discovered that spaghetti squash is a better pasta substitute than I would have guessed. It has worked with recipes that I had not expected it work well in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
When I started I had planned on doing Keto for a month, ended up doing it for two months. For me the thing that helped the most was cream sauces. I like good tasting food, I'm not willing to eat crud because someone said it would be good for me. Hence my quest for a low carb bread, as I mentioned, I like bread.

I might end up sticking with my current recipe and just eating less of it, but I'm hoping to find a recipe that would allow me to have two slices of toast in the morning without it it being a significant portion of my daily carb intake.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Had some pizza tonight as a treat. Now I have a headache. Figures. Should have known
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Had some pizza tonight as a treat. Now I have a headache. Figures. Should have known
Best to wash it down with 2 litres of Pepsi and 500 grams of ju jubes and sleep through the aftermath when your sugar high crashes.

Good test for Type 2 Diabetes as well.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 PM

^^ totally love jujubes. Haha
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
YES,,,

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes/bread

My go to every week:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hot-dog-buns
go 65 mins, turn over for 5 mins more

Another great one: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

And if you want a bread that actually looks like a loaf of bread..KILLER
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/soft-keto-seed-bread
I've these recipes down to a science, if you need any help pulling them off, let me know.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Banned

Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Here...let me make this quick and easy from someone who is in you exact situation. I've tried both and both are the best available. Your welcome

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ca...ead-g-396.html

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ca...ack-p-694.html

If you can handle making little sandwiches and wraps with these then it should take care of your carb cravings.

Also, have you made fat-head pizza dough? Also makes great crackers...its a life-saver...try it
Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny huntnfish View Post
here...let me make this quick and easy from someone who is in you exact situation. I've tried both and both are the best available. Your welcome

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ca...ead-g-396.html

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ca...ack-p-694.html

if you can handle making little sandwiches and wraps with these then it should take care of your carb cravings.

Also, have you made fat-head pizza dough? Also makes great crackers...its a life-saver...try it
gold
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Yes the fathead pizza dough works well
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 PM

I agree with those that say you gotta cut them out rather than look for a lower carb, carb substitute.

Gotta get them.out of your daily routine. Cake at the odd birthday, coffee and a doughnut on Sunday or pizza with the family will not kill ya, it is the daily bread and pasta that adds up quick. Concentrate on the routine carbs and worry about the special occasion ones later.

In the morning I have replaced cereal with a smoothy. Snack on nuts, Salad and meat for dinners, moderate portion of rice. Make enough dinner for leftovers so you are not tempted for the easy bagel or sandwich.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Quick update:
8 days into Keto diet and lost 5.5 Lbs.
First 4 days, I was feeling hungry a lot, but then it switched to not feeling hungry at all and actually cut down my portions as my current portions were too much to eat.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 AM

I started eating primal/paleo Jan 2018 after reading Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint book. Overall I've done a pretty good job of not eating grains, pasta or sugar (honestly cannot remember last time I had a sandwich or a bowl of pasta). It's been a bit of an up and down rollercoaster here and there but overall I've stayed the course.

I did go through a phase where I was searching out low carb bread recipes to make at home, one recipe was ok but certainly wasn't the same as wheat bread. I've found now that I don't even have the interest in searching out bread. If I want a 'sandwich' I've started making lettuce wraps using a couple leafs of iceberg lettuce. Yesterday I put leftover flank steak, sauteed onions, horseradish and swiss cheese in it. Rolled it up into a wrap using parchment paper. Tasted great!

Right now I'm sitting close to 30lbs down from where I was a year ago. Yesterday I had my annual checkup at the doctor. Blood work showed that compared to a year ago:
- my good cholesterol is a bit higher than it was;
- my bad cholesterol is a bit lower than it was;
- and my triglycerides are lower than they were a year ago (and I put that pink himilayan salt on pretty much everything!).

I was glad to see these results and my plan is to keep staying the course.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Have you thought about IF ( intermittent fasting ) ? I have been doing this since the start of Sept. and have lost 35 lbs I feel great and have less of that "clusterf%ck fog" feeling. The nice thing about it is I barely eat any kind of breads, yes I will eat some, but fasting for 18-23 hrs a day and eating only 1-2 times a day it makes it easier not to fill your face with useless carbs. You really notice the next day if you have a "low quality" meal like pancakes or pasta because you are starving and have a hard time making it to lunch. Water and black coffee/ green tea is your friend. I try and stick to a Keto type lunch when I eat lunch, and then a sensible supper, the calorie deficit is the key to losing wt and the lower carbs higher protein is the key to not feeling so hungry.....