Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Archery antelope

Alright guys and gals, I know it's only March, but the draws will be upon us before we know it. I am currently sitting at a p7 for archery antelope. Looking at the results for last years draws, I might have a chance of drawing this year. So rather than the usual 999, I'm thinking of actually applying to be drawn. I'm looking for some info on where you guys think the best area to be.

A buddy of mine tagged out last year on his trophy antelope in the 807 draw choice, with wmu's 150,151,152. I have done a bit of hunting in the Hanna area and saw a few decent bucks around there as well. Thinking about going with the 808 draw choice with wmu's 160,162,163,164,and 166. It's a bit closer to home and being that I'm out of town for work a lot, it might be hard to scout if it's further away.

I'm looking for feedback from the guys who have actually done the archery hunts, and not opinions of those who haven't. Interested in hearing your methods of hunting, whether it be spot and stalk, ground blind or whatever. Did you use a decoy? Were you successful or not? What would you do differently etc. Just looking for first hand experiences to guide me through the process of tagging an antelope. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Was successfull twice in 150 permission was ok to get 75% yes saw a few crankers to buddy missed one of them a huge herd buck had 40 does with him decoyed him to 23 yrds and buddy sailed it just over his back!!! That said out little antelope camp got cleaned out while we were out hunting tent , cots , camo , table , chairs , cooler ect that sucked
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Was successfull twice in 150 permission was ok to get 75% yes saw a few crankers to buddy missed one of them a huge herd buck had 40 does with him decoyed him to 23 yrds and buddy sailed it just over his back!!! That said out little antelope camp got cleaned out while we were out hunting tent , cots , camo , table , chairs , cooler ect that sucked
All it takes is a couple of losers stealing your stuff to ruin a good time! Happy to hear you guys were successful, sad to hear that it was at the cost of losing your camp setup!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Never ever had a problem out in the bush like that before but then again we were close to sask ha
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Funnest hunt you'll do imo.tagged a dandy last sept during the rut with the bow very cool experience.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Would you say that spot and stalk with a decoy would be the best method?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Would you say that spot and stalk with a decoy would be the best method?
Unless you have a ton of time to put cams on waterholes an watch antelope an their patterns then yes decoying is the best method..their eye sight is incredible literally so you better be damn sneaky to get within range undetected.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 AM

Decoy all the way!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Archery Speed Goats

I agree with the fellows who commented previously that decoying is the way to go for Alberta. Take the game to them rather than sit on a waterhole. In Alberta there are too many dugouts on some of the community pastures anyhow.
Ya there are some crankers in the 160's zones but the antelope can be few and far between- also higher priorities are needed to hunt there.. There can be miles of empty prairie.
Better to go further south. Phone a few F+W offices, speak to some officers, or if you know some farmers and ranchers talk to them about what they are seeing in the year you actually intend to hunt. Don't totally rely on what somebody saw last year.
If you get into a good area you will have a great time hunting them. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:32 PM

spot and stalk and a decoy . a few years back i had 3 shots and 3 misses in 3 days start practicing now and try to get good at range estimation and be ready they come in fast . your watching them at 400 yards you look down to nock an arrow and get ready, when you look up the buck is watching you at 30 yards.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Banned

Will depend on the year we have, if this drought continues there will be limited water. The herd here will water like clock work at 10 and 2, pretty much the same every day.. Fun hunt, wish you all the best if you draw your tag.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 PM

Decoy best bet.
Buddy and myself killed 2 nice bucks archery in 162, 2014.
Timing very important.
2nd week Sept and beginning of 3rd the best then gets patchy.
Know how to judge distance and shoot fast ...when they decide/commit it happens fast!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:10 AM

Well, the draw is in and my fingers are crossed that I'll be drawn for 150,151,152, but my second choice in 160's would be good too! If anyone has a Montana antelope decoy they want to get rid of, let me know. Should be getting a new string on the bow soon and just got a new sight. And I'm shooting as much as I can! If I don't get antelope, I'm a sure thing for muley buck, close to home! And I'll be trying for that with archery tackle as well! Good luck on all your draws this year! Thanks for all the info so far!!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Well, the draw is in and my fingers are crossed that I'll be drawn for 150,151,152, but my second choice in 160's would be good too! If anyone has a Montana antelope decoy they want to get rid of, let me know. Should be getting a new string on the bow soon and just got a new sight. And I'm shooting as much as I can! If I don't get antelope, I'm a sure thing for muley buck, close to home! And I'll be trying for that with archery tackle as well! Good luck on all your draws this year! Thanks for all the info so far!!
I would make one.borrowed a plywood decoy to use an was glad.the wind gets insane closer to noon hr..I don't think a Montana is a great decoy in the wind.others will probly argue but I'd make one myself.pm msg me if you like for any questions I learned a lot.funnest hunt ever!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Have a homemade decoy with 13 kills on plus 6 broadhead holes in back.best fun you can have with a bow way better than a montana
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Rather than start a new thread, I’m going to revive this one. I skipped putting in for the draw last year, just went priority only, as I was planning on chasing moose closer to home. I’m thinking 2018 should be my year. I am priority 10 this year for archery antelope. And I’m just looking for success stories, and tips and tricks. The plan is still to put in for the 150/151/152 zones. If you hunted there last year, and have any advice, it would all be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Rather than start a new thread, I’m going to revive this one. I skipped putting in for the draw last year, just went priority only, as I was planning on chasing moose closer to home. I’m thinking 2018 should be my year. I am priority 10 this year for archery antelope. And I’m just looking for success stories, and tips and tricks. The plan is still to put in for the 150/151/152 zones. If you hunted there last year, and have any advice, it would all be appreciated. Thank you.
Did this for the first time this year. There were many bucks seen in pasture and crop fields. Spot and stalk is an option for sure using terrain and dekes. I decided to stake a deke out in the open and use terrain to conceal myself 30 yards away. Also had a deke attached to my bow. This worked for me bringing in a couple bucks. Next day I used a pop up ground blind with a deke set up 30 yards away. Again this brought bucks into range. Took a buck from the blind. Used a Heads Up decoy attached to my bow and a Montana decoy on the ground.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Archery Antelope

Went out last year and had a great hunt.

Just like some of the other guys said, make your own decoy out of plywood
Use a projector and trace out the pattern and color scheme. I posted a pic in the archery section where everyone posts successful harvest for 2017, it will give you some ideas.

The only thing I would have liked to have done differently is built a better system for staking the decoy in the ground. If you hunt by yourself this is very important.

And don't forget a range finder the antelope are much smaller than you think

Good luck
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM

For me decoys worked best with the smaller batchelor bucks. Every big buck with a harem would round up his gals and bugger off at themfirst sight of a decoy.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
For me decoys worked best with the smaller batchelor bucks. Every big buck with a harem would round up his gals and bugger off at themfirst sight of a decoy.
This is what i've found as well. You have to get quite close to the herd for one of the big boys to commit. Most often the terrain doesn't allow for that.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM

I got drawn this past year for archery antelope in the southern zones and I agree with most on here...it's a blast of a hunt! Decoying can work and when those bucks come running in it's almost comical. After 6 days of hunting and a handful of unsuccessful decoying opportunities I found a lone buck and was able to close in and make a 54 yard shot.

With that all said, if I was able to do it all again I'd find a active water hole and sit there every day in a blind. Not near as exciting as stalking or decoying but almost a guarantee that you'll get a shot. I say this for two reasons. 1) Antelope for the most part only move around during the day...from what I noticed. So if they're going to water it's most likely going to be during shooting hours. 2) I found a good water hole on day two of my hunt and put out a trail camera. I never went back there until after I shot my buck. After checking the camera I was astonished to find out there were 9 different bucks that came to that hole in 5 days and most of them multiple times. 2 were dandies. So that would be my change for next time.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Saw a pile of antelope in 151 this year while hunting mule deer. Must have been a herd of at least 100 that we watched for awhile. This was also in November though.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Here’s a question for you looper guys ... Are the goats pretty aggressive in the first week of semptember or are they a little later in the month ??
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Well, I put in the draw application for archery antelope. The info stated above, will be very helpful. I have done zero scouting in my desired hunting area. However, a buddy of mine has hunted antelope down there a couple different times, so he has a bit of an in, for permission and knowing where the big pastures are located. Did you guys find that the farmers were pretty easy to acquire permission from?? Hoping my friend can make it with me, or it might be a difficult hunt!! Thanks for all the great advice so far!!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM

I am fairly certain my hunting partner is putting in for the same zones and draw. I will probably tag along as a sherpa and maybe go after a mulie. If he gets drawn I will send you a PM with contact info and maybe we can do some intel sharing.

Good luck with the draw.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I put in the draw application for archery antelope. The info stated above, will be very helpful. I have done zero scouting in my desired hunting area. However, a buddy of mine has hunted antelope down there a couple different times, so he has a bit of an in, for permission and knowing where the big pastures are located. Did you guys find that the farmers were pretty easy to acquire permission from?? Hoping my friend can make it with me, or it might be a difficult hunt!! Thanks for all the great advice so far!!
I would contact farmers and ranchers now, with the stipulation that you will touch base with them before the season starts in case anything changes. A dry year can change your yes to a no.

Thomas Sowell