Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 PM

To all:

I was able to save all my pics in this thread after Photobucket crapped out.

I intend to re-post the better one's again with a few tips to share, here's a couple of Gull Whites and Perch with a few of my go-to W/W that I make that worked that day.

More to follow .... stay tuned, hope you enjoy the pic's.

David

Red with a Green glow bead during overcast days are a hot combo.

Yellow/Orange Candy-Kane or Dark Brown are both top pics.

Kick-ass Brass & dark glass bead minnow imitation - irresistible!

Edit: Lets add one or two more pics ....

Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Last year our buddy Waterninja (Now Banned) posted a comment about a friend who swears by a "Pink" W/W. I found some hot pink 20 ga wire at Michael's the Craft Store & then looked at the wife's nail polish and plan to make a few different combo's to try on Sylvan and Gull this season, depending on water clarity "Pink" will look similar to "Red" which we is a very productive color for Whites and resembles "Blood Worms" l will post a few pic's of my creations ... these are a few samples I found on the internet.

Anyone here have any success with hot pink W/W's ?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Hey Zip, thanks for bringing this post back.

I'm curious how you tie the in-line upper hook in. Do you tie it off at the termination of the line and then add a separate length of line tied to the upper and then finish off on the lower (top one would have two knots on it). Or, do you pull enough line through, tie in the upper and then finish on the lower (top one would have one knot)?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Google drop shot rig, use a Palomar knot for the first fly with a real long tag end. Then tie bottom hook on the tag end. Works great.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppb View Post
Google drop shot rig, use a Palomar knot for the first fly with a real long tag end. Then tie bottom hook on the tag end. Works great.
Thanks! Got it. Tie 2nd hook onto the loop you create. Zip's picture does describe that but my thick skull couldn't connect the dots (lines).
Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Smile

Hey guys I have tied wire worms before but just San Juan's for the rivers. I am interested in tying up and selling a bunch of WW for whites in the lakes. I have a few questions for you guys.

First of all what size and shape of hook are you tying them on? I have every hook under the sun. So nailing it down to a specific hook or shape will help. Do you use a curved hook? Straight hook? Or somewhere in between?

Is there any color combinations that you have found to be better than the other? Is there days when a white one works better than a red? Or a green one better than a black?

Also what colors of beads seem to work best? I've got the whole gammet of colors. So it's only a matter digging into my supplies.

The other thing I was curious about is I read through this thread and I believe someone said that it's best to try to have your fly horizontal to the line. Has anyone tried tying a balanced wire worm? Much like the balanced leech patterns. I'll post one of my balanced leeches as a comparison. I make them with a pin that I extend out from a jig type hook. On the pin I put a brass, a tungsten, or a glass bead. I think having that pin extended out along with a bit of extra wire will aid in having the WW horizontal.

Ballanced leech pattern. Do you think a WW in this style will be effective?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post it.
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ballanced Leech.jpg (51.0 KB, 766 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:59 PM

I have absolutely zero interest in making these, but a lot of interest in purchasing some pre-made ones for use on Gull. I have zero clue how you guys fish these....you just drop it in "clear"-ish water, and sight fish the whites??
Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Default will these work?

I got these in a mystery tackle box, from the brand TrueWeight. Wondering if they will be any good for whites.

Interesting that the beads are in the front.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Hey guys I have tied wire worms before but just San Juan's for the rivers. I am interested in tying up and selling a bunch of WW for whites in the lakes. I have a few questions for you guys.

First of all what size and shape of hook are you tying them on? I have every hook under the sun. So nailing it down to a specific hook or shape will help. Do you use a curved hook? Straight hook? Or somewhere in between?

Is there any color combinations that you have found to be better than the other? Is there days when a white one works better than a red? Or a green one better than a black?

Also what colors of beads seem to work best? I've got the whole gammet of colors. So it's only a matter digging into my supplies.

The other thing I was curious about is I read through this thread and I believe someone said that it's best to try to have your fly horizontal to the line. Has anyone tried tying a balanced wire worm? Much like the balanced leech patterns. I'll post one of my balanced leeches as a comparison. I make them with a pin that I extend out from a jig type hook. On the pin I put a brass, a tungsten, or a glass bead. I think having that pin extended out along with a bit of extra wire will aid in having the WW horizontal.

Ballanced leech pattern. Do you think a WW in this style will be effective?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post it.
Thanks in advance
Balanced style fly, bloodworm should work fantastic as the lower hook. The style I like would be the one on the bottom left that Zip posted. Segmented. But, with a red or gold bead for weight. That or some led raps underneath for weight and no bead head. You will need the weight to keep the line tighter, especially on a Jaw Jacker. You can add split to the line but I prefer weighted flies overall.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post

I got these in a mystery tackle box, from the brand TrueWeight. Wondering if they will be any good for whites.

All you can do is try. Not exactly dynamic in color...so you might find them not so good when the whites are off them. Try those at Sylvan though and I'm pretty sure you fool a white or two.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post

IMO .... more of a trout or perch presentation and of course with a Pink Mag hanging on it.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Hey Zip, thanks for bringing this post back.

I'm curious how you tie the in-line upper hook in. Do you tie it off at the termination of the line and then add a separate length of line tied to the upper and then finish off on the lower (top one would have two knots on it). Or, do you pull enough line through, tie in the upper and then finish on the lower (top one would have one knot)?
Snap ... I pre-tie all my most productive combos' at home starting with a mini barrel swivel then 4-5 ft of either 4 or 6 lb floro line. Approx. 12-14" from the bottom I tie on my first W/W, my preference is the Triline knot as I had a few of the Palomar knots fail, then I tie the bottom W/W on the tag end and in shallow water I try to keep the 2 W/W's about 8-10 " apart, this way when you raise & let the W/W float down then twitch 1 or 2 times, it ensures the presentation is always in the strike zone.

I find the Triline knot is easier to get the W/W to sit horizontal, if you can't get them positioned properly, it's a long day staring down the hole.

As mentioned I keep my most productive W/W combo's separated so they're easy to change out & don't get tangled up, I see some guys use a pool noodle and do the same.

Trust this helps,

David

Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM

Awesome! I know that knot better anyways because I use it all the time

All good info and thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Found this wire thingamajig at Cdn Tire for <$5.00 today, going to field test it on the weekend, packs up nice & it should save a rod from going down the hole.

Side Note .... drove by Sylvan late this afternoon after the snow stopped, lake may be frozen over, will confirm tomorrow.

D.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Kingfisher Balanced leech pattern. Do you think a WW in this style will be effective?

Yes ... for Walleye or Trout but not for Whites, of all the Whites I've caught & cleaned, I've never found any leaches or similar critters in their stomach contents. One worth tying would the Caddisfly or Cased caddis patterns.

See ....

A few more .... Blood Worms & Freshwater Shrimp ... too.

A few .... Cased Caddis & Caddisfly

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-17-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 PM

Missed these 2 pics ...

Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Zip-in-Z - I have some thick phone line sections. Lots of different colors. I'll try and find a picture......been trying to convince a bug maker to take for wire worms.....
Old 11-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Smile

I wasn't talking about using that balanced leech. Just that "style" of tie with an extended pin out front of the wire worm and the rest of the hook tied in a wire worm. As I also said I may not use a gold bead either. Maybe a glass bead.

My question was about whether a "balanced" wire worm would be worth the effort to tie up. I'll make a fee up and add weight to see how balanced I can get them. Then I'll post a few pictures of them.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Zip-in-Z - I have some thick phone line sections. Lots of different colors. I'll try and find a picture......been trying to convince a bug maker to take for wire worms.....

Reeves .... got some after the town dug up Lakeshore drive, if you clean the insulated material/grease off them, you have some fine material for W/W's.

100 Pair Cable

Cat 5/6 Computer cable works, too.

Edit .... the Cat 5/6 Brown Wire = Hot W/W Pattern with glass bead.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I wasn't talking about using that balanced leech. Just that "style" of tie with an extended pin out front of the wire worm and the rest of the hook tied in a wire worm. As I also said I may not use a gold bead either. Maybe a glass bead.

My question was about whether a "balanced" wire worm would be worth the effort to tie up. I'll make a fee up and add weight to see how balanced I can get them. Then I'll post a few pictures of them.

Kingfisher .... I'm sure a balanced W/W would be productive, it's all about keeping your presentation as "Horizontal" as possible, to trigger a strike.

A few pics would be appreciated.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Zip in Z how do you finish the wire? Do you an afternoon epoxy?

BW
Old 11-19-2017, 08:25 PM

For those interested in making a few of your own all you need is these 3 tools.

Add some Bling

I use 20 ga brass wire available at most fishin stores or Michael's the craft store.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:27 AM

In all the years I've fished I never went after white fish . After reading this thread I cant wait to try for them. Here is my first attempt of tying wire worms. Thanks for all the info guys. Now to pick a lake .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7220[5942].jpg (15.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
In all the years I've fished I never went after white fish . After reading this thread I cant wait to try for them. Here is my first attempt of tying wire worms. Thanks for all the info guys. Now to pick a lake .

Jawjacker
.... nicely done, those are guaranteed to catch Whites as well Perch and the occasional Walleye or hungry Pike. Recommend you make up a few in darker colors like Black or Brown with dark colored bead, too.

Let us know how you made out.

D.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 PM

Variety Pack ....

Candy Cane colors are hot combo's

Old 11-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Thank you for the how to pictures! These pictures answered all my questions about tying wire worms. I will be starting my own collection very soon.

Thanks again David

BW
Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Thank you Zip-In-Z. I appreciate the kind words. Thank you for all the instructions on how to. Here is what i have to date. What can I say Im addicted lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg assorted.jpg (23.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 PM

Final few worms. Need to buy more hooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final.jpg (26.7 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Jawjacker; 11-22-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Default some wireworm samples (and other creations)

Hi guys, love this thread. I have been making my own whitefish wireworm and other creations for a few years, Also have tried home made shrimp patterns, cased caddis patterns and many others. When I first started I was looking for that "magic bullet", a hook that worked no matter what the weather conditions, time of season, depth or moon phase. I soon learned that this hook just does not exist when fishing for whites!! I have had some that worked extremely well some days and never got a sniff the very next day on the same spot. Some hooks have been rejected not by one but by EVERY fish that looked at it, but some have been very good.

Here are a few of my samples. I can confirm with Zip that the striped patterns work well and also I have had some great success with the shrimp patterns I have tried. Another pattern to try to imitate is the multi-bead pattern just before the ice goes out. I try to imitate a string of burb eggs by laying my pattern on a sandy bottom and just leaving it there with only an occasional twitch. This has worked well at times.

I found a material called "stringy worm" from a fly tying supply store and have tied a few trial patterns (a few are in the pics). I have not yet tried them but hope to get a few opportunities this winter. Some of them are UV activated and glow in the dark.

I'm going to give Pigeon a good try this year, for many years it was my goto lake but gave up on it a while back. I see Snap has had some success over the past few years, just need to re-learn the lake. At one time all you needed was a 1/2 long inch piece of copper tube hung loosely over a treble hook to catch them! That was many years ago, I think they may be more discerning these days.
Have a good season everyone!!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Final few worms. Need to buy more hooks.

Jawjacker
... Excellent work, I see a lot of creativity in your patterns, I imagine you can hardly wait to get out a test drive them all.

Don't be afraid to experiment with hook size, sometimes a small #14 or #16 is better than big and other days some Monster Whites just can't resist a large #6 or #8, just make sure they sit horizontal.

As previously mentioned I pre-tie 2 W/W's of my most productive patterns on 1 line using a mini barrel swivel for quick & easy change out. When you're sight fishing Whites and staring down the hole, depending on the lake and water clarity, consider putting the brightest colored W/W on the bottom of the rig, it's much easier to see your presentation & stay in the strike zone.

Tks for sharing & wish you all the success.

Cheers

D.