Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Default 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Opinion

Looking for real world first hand experience with this vehicle- Obviously concerned about Hybrid system reliability and battery life/replacement cost.

Trying to avoid a money pit

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 PM

Default 2009 highlander hybrid

Best of the best vehicles.

The battery issue is not a concern. The price of a replacement battery has dropped by 60 +% since 2013. I have 270 000 kms. on my vehicle. The battery is not anywhere near 33% used up or worn out. The vehicle has been in northern Ontario for its whole life. From -37 to +37 C. it starts better than my wife's 4 cyl., 2016 non-hybrid Corolla.

My local friendly mechanic stated that the system was over-engineered. It turns out that at take-off the high torque power system is very helpful in overcoming inertia and adds years to the life of the gas motor. Unless you are a pedal stomper the system lasts a long time. The car does not spin the tires at take-off. When you go to change your oil and the attendant asks you to rev your engine to 2000 rpm, it is nearly impossible to do. The AWD system prevents you from rocking the car if you are stuck in deep snow.
avoid snow more than 10 cms deep. A good vehicle with excellent resale.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM

We have a 2014 Camry hybrid same Synergy system, and after we loved our so much the inlaws got a Highlander 2016 hybrid. They are truly great systems, and for the minimal weight involved to add the battery and electric motor, I feel like all vehicles should have one.

Cold was a non issue up here in NW AB, which I'll admit was one of my main concerns when looking at the system. Oil changes are a telling sign, the oil is still gold or red after 10,000km+
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Best of the best vehicles.

The battery issue is not a concern. The price of a replacement battery has dropped by 60 +% since 2013. I have 270 000 kms. on my vehicle. The battery is not anywhere near 33% used up or worn out. The vehicle has been in northern Ontario for its whole life. From -37 to +37 C. it starts better than my wife's 4 cyl., 2016 non-hybrid Corolla.

My local friendly mechanic stated that the system was over-engineered. It turns out that at take-off the high torque power system is very helpful in overcoming inertia and adds years to the life of the gas motor. Unless you are a pedal stomper the system lasts a long time. The car does not spin the tires at take-off. When you go to change your oil and the attendant asks you to rev your engine to 2000 rpm, it is nearly impossible to do. The AWD system prevents you from rocking the car if you are stuck in deep snow.
avoid snow more than 10 cms deep. A good vehicle with excellent resale.
I cannot believe that any vehicle marketed anywhere in Canada, especially one that is "AWD" would be hindered by 10cm of snow??!
What sort of crossover or SUV is that??