Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default Broadhead Design

On another thread we were discussing a new four blade fixed broad head that only has a 1" cut, but with 4 blades actually has a 2" cut but being it is fixed it is more in a circle than a single 2+" long cut which many of the mechanical blades now have.

It appears to me that the broadhead manufacturer has reduced the size of the broadhead so it basically needs no tuning and is less effected by wind (like a mechanical) but in doing so had to substantially reduced the total cut WIDTH, to almost half of that of many mechanicals.

I have read all the arguments about mechanical broadhead failure, which I believe that these days they are very rare but this is not really about that.

I know as does everyone now shot replacement is always the most important factor so no need to really post that over and over and over.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on cutting width. I have always believed that due to the fact there is no real shock factor when shooting an arrow into animal that total cutting width would be the biggest factor when deciding what will inflict the most lethal wound, but maybe I have been wrong..........or is there really enough difference to even worry about?

Last edited by bobalong; 11-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Personally I’d rather have a pass through with a 1” cutting diameter than a 2” cut that’s 6 inches deep.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
Personally I’d rather have a pass through with a 1” cutting diameter than a 2” cut that’s 6 inches deep.
I prefer a hole to a slit as well, I have used 2 blade heads in the past and disliked them (Sonoran, the early version of a Schwacker and the Rocky Mountain Gator) 3 blade or more for me from then on. I also prefer a solid one piece design, I think strength integrity is important in penetration.

LC
Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Still happy with Grim reapers and spitfires. Best blood trails I’ve seen are from those 2 heads. The new grim reaper pro 3 blade zipped through my spring bear and buried in the ground. It still looks mint.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:32 PM

They work, solid piece 1”x1” makes a nice hole.

LC
Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Have had no issues my self killing critters with 1" fixed heads in the past. Would not hesitate at all to use them again. I use to shoot the ABC sonics a lot.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 PM

fIXED BLADES FOR THE WIN
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 PM

I never really read into it much, but Dr. Ed Ashby has some 3-to-1 theory. I think it is that the broad head should be 3 times longer than its width for maximum penetration. I believe the valkyrie jagger heads use this logic. Never ever used them so YMMV. My next broadhead purchase will likely be the rms cutthroat and the iron will S125.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM

I have a buddy who had an Iron Will deflect really bad on a moose, downwards quartering away shot. I know they are supposed to be the bees knees but every design has a limitation.

LC
Old 11-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks.snow View Post
I never really read into it much, but Dr. Ed Ashby has some 3-to-1 theory. I think it is that the broad head should be 3 times longer than its width for maximum penetration. I believe the valkyrie jagger heads use this logic. Never ever used them so YMMV. My next broadhead purchase will likely be the rms cutthroat and the iron will S125.
Dr. Ashby did lots and lots of experimentation 8n regards to penetration. Must have been a fun project.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have a buddy who had an Iron Will deflect really bad on a moose, downwards quartering away shot. I know they are supposed to be the bees knees but every design has a limitation.

LC
What head are you using now lefty?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks.snow View Post
What head are you using now lefty?
I’m using the standard Tooth of the Arrow, but I am going to try the XL version this coming year and see how they tune.

LC
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 PM

I switched from rage back to muzzy’s last season after a conversation with a coworker. I used the new trocar I found last years arrow after a complete pass through on a cow elk cleaned it up and reused it. This year I passed one through a little bull elk and after searching for over an hour we gave up looking for it. I won’t be going back to mechanical heads.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I switched from rage back to muzzy’s last season after a conversation with a coworker. I used the new trocar I found last years arrow after a complete pass through on a cow elk cleaned it up and reused it. This year I passed one through a little bull elk and after searching for over an hour we gave up looking for it. I won’t be going back to mechanical heads.
You put a Rage through an elk and couldn’t find it or a Trocar?

LC
Old 12-01-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You put a Rage through an elk and couldn’t find it or a Trocar?

LC
Sorry I didn’t explain myself very good it was the trocar I never got full penetration with a rage. In fact I had a few failures one I believe opting flight and dove into the ground. I’m going to check out tooth of the arrow when I get a chance or maybe slick tricks. The trocar worked wonderfully for the two elk I took with them but I’m just not sure of the blade configuration not being 90 degrees to the shaft.
What’s your thoughts on them?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 PM

For some reason I can’t upload the pictures of the elk hanging but I had a nice hole and really a lot of blood shot on the exit side.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Sorry I didn’t explain myself very good it was the trocar I never got full penetration with a rage. In fact I had a few failures one I believe opting flight and dove into the ground. I’m going to check out tooth of the arrow when I get a chance or maybe slick tricks. The trocar worked wonderfully for the two elk I took with them but I’m just not sure of the blade configuration not being 90 degrees to the shaft.
What’s your thoughts on them?
I was admiring the trocars today! I think they are a fine broadhead, and are one of the sharpest I have ever seen right out of the pack. I would not hesitate to use them if they tuned up good. They are a very robust and well built broadhead! As far as the blades being offset goes, as long as you are fletcher right helical or right offset it should be all good, since the broadheads are offset right as well

Last edited by normanrd; 12-01-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I was admiring the trocars today! I think they are a fine broadhead, and are one of the sharpest I have ever seen right out of the pack. I would not hesitate to use them if they tuned up good. They are a very robust and well built broadhead! As far as the blades being offset goes, as long as you are fletcher right helical or right offset it should be all good, since the broadheads are offset right as well
Good to know I was impressed with not only the blade but the chisel tip sharpness. They fly good for me the offset blade angle seamed a little concerning. I’ll practice with my old ones more when I get an opportunity and change some of my fletching as you stated.
Thanks again
Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 PM

2 blade = slit = easier to close, clot and otherwise leave a poor blood trail.

Ashbys research is valid but those longer heads rarely shoot well at modern velocities, even with a properly tuned bow

Lots of research, lots of critters, and a pile of various broadheads in my hunting room has lead me to believe that the slick trick mag and G5 striker are, when properly spin tested, the two most consistently lethal broadheads on the market for the compound bow archer.

These tooth of the arrow heads are interesting, I suppose if I didn’t have a pile of slick tricks I’d try them as well. The design certainly works, up to you guys to evaluate the QC