Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 12:15 PM

Default BC’s Alpine Carnivore Busted for Poaching

Albertas F&W released this statement today on FB.

A recent investigation by Fish and Wildlife officers resulted in convictions under the Wildlife Act of two individuals who received fines totaling more than $25,000.

A joint investigation was conducted with assistance from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service after it was determined that offences occurred in Alberta and B.C. between August 2020 and September 2021.

Their convictions include hunting without a licence, hunting in a closed season, unlawful possession of wildlife, unlawful export of wildlife, providing false information, as well as abusing licence requirements in relation to the killing of bighorn sheep, antlered moose and antlered elk within a protected wilderness area.

Significant fines related to illegal hunting activity serve as a strong deterrent to any would-be poachers. Anyone with information about any wildlife or fishery violation is encouraged to call the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800, or online at https://www.alberta.ca/report-poacher.aspx
Callers can remain anonymous and could qualify for a reward

Here is BC’s statement naming Alpine Carnivore

The BC Conservation Officer Service received a request for assistance from Alberta Fish and Wildlife officers. The COS launched a joint investigation after additional wildlife-related offences were found to have occurred in BC.
Over two years until the spring of 2022, the COS General Investigations Section jointly investigated six locations across the province; executed three search warrants – including on a home and hunting TV show Alpine Carnivore business office - and seized numerous unlawfully killed wildlife from both BC and Alberta, as well as a rifle.
These BC searches helped secure multiple pieces of evidence, including sheep and moose parts that were later matched by DNA analysis to kill sites in Alberta. Shell casings from the sheep kill in Alberta also matched the firearm officers seized in BC.
“These actions showed a blatant disregard for fish and wildlife laws in BC and beyond. Unfortunately, cross-border poaching is not an unusual occurrence,” said COS Insp. Kyle Ackles, who oversees the GIS. “This was a complex file that was concluded due to the dedication and co-operation from our officers and colleagues in Alberta. We’d like to thank them for their tireless efforts.”
Court proceedings have now concluded in BC.
In BC court proceedings, Michel Beaulieu, host of the Alpine Carnivore TV show, pleaded guilty to allowing his hunting licence to be used by another party and received a $4,500 penalty.
Lynn Beaulieu pleaded guilty to hunting without a licence and received a $2,000 penalty. Both are also banned from hunting for one year.
All seized wildlife has been forfeited to the Crown.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:29 PM

Not surprised
Old 02-08-2024, 12:31 PM

Not many details. Would sure like to hear the rest of the story.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:35 PM

The fines should have been larger, more along the lines of $ 50 to $ 100, 000. And hunting licenses as well as the firearms licenses should have been suspended for a couple of years at least. This is a slap on the wrist for people who have abused and profited from the weak laws we have to exploit wildlife in Canada.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:08 PM

Can’t say I’m surprised either. Always thought a couple episodes of their show looked fishy, they had an elk hunt in AB where they killed a big bull and the host was solo or appeared to be. Odd that he was able to hunt elk alone in a province other than his home.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:25 PM

Just another "killing for content" dirtbag.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:48 PM

Default Good to hear!

I thought something seemed fishy when he was obviously hunting in Alberta using resident tags, then off to BC for stones with go guide...

I couldn't believe what I say when he caped his bighorn out!

I agree with the penalty being to light.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Can’t say I’m surprised either. Always thought a couple episodes of their show looked fishy, they had an elk hunt in AB where they killed a big bull and the host was solo or appeared to be. Odd that he was able to hunt elk alone in a province other than his home.
Think he’s from Alberta. Also could be Métis
Old 02-08-2024, 02:57 PM

He lives in Kelowna I think but you’re right he could be Métis…
Old 02-08-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
He lives in Kelowna I think but you’re right he could be Métis…
That is interesting then I seen that episode where he killed that big bull. Earlier that month he was hunting with an outfitter where we were hunting. In one of many Private grazing leases that the general public doesn’t get in
Old 02-08-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
That is interesting then I seen that episode where he killed that big bull. Earlier that month he was hunting with an outfitter where we were hunting. In one of many Private grazing leases that the general public doesn’t get in
That episode where he walked up to the bull with a bow? Looked high fence to me.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Think he’s from Alberta. Also could be Métis
Métis can’t hunt everywhere, what WMU was this?
WDF
Old 02-08-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not surprised
Nor am I.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2024, 06:51 PM

I see he was fined 25k in Alberta also
Old 02-08-2024, 07:07 PM

Default Not Métis

Not Métis according to one of their comments under one of their YouTube videos. (See thumbnail / attachment as I’m not sure how to post pictures properly&#128556

Be interesting to know which of their posted hunts were deemed illegal. They have some good content but have definitely lost me as a viewer.

MS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9627.jpg (9.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:22 AM

I can't say that I am surprised, the guy seemed a little odd, when I watched a couple of episodes.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:32 AM

What a dirtbag. Commentary about “being ethical” and “shat happens “. Was a little curious why a moose video on cut lines was taken down a year ago, once I saw that, I knew something was up. Like, what is the point? Killing for fame is such bull. Another reason why most of hunting media is BS. Sure give hunters a bad name, along with the people that leave nitrile gloves everywhere after gutting…
Old 02-09-2024, 10:11 AM

I too enjoyed the show foolishly assuming it was all legal. However it is now clear that only a complete imbecile would film, edit and broadcast content that he and his wife, buddy and cameraman knowingly were aware was repeated criminal poaching. Two year investigation and multiple charges proved it wasn't an oops. And the sanctimonious crap he spewed on ethics is disgusting. We should never see that show on either of the networks again I hope. Any of their sponsors should sue them.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:31 AM

Banned from hunting for one year ?? What a joke. How about 10 years.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Banned from hunting for one year ?? What a joke. How about 10 years.
The Alberta fines and suspension are ridiculous, at least triple them.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM

He made a whiney instagram post today explaining his side. He does point out exactly which hunts he is fined on and such. A few details about the charges.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
He made a whiney instagram post today explaining his side. He does point out exactly which hunts he is fined on and such. A few details about the charges.
Here's the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3IrXRBRnVd/?hl=en
Old 02-09-2024, 12:49 PM

Reminds me of the guy who camped in the park and fished illegally.
Know where you are at all times and read the regs.
WDF
Old 02-09-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Reminds me of the guy who camped in the park and fished illegally.
Know where you are at all times and read the regs.
WDF
I'd sure be interested in which of the three portions of Don Getty he somehow managed to find a 'road' to drive in. There's some old fire roads that have gates in the South Portions, but they've been decommissioned for years. You can still hike, bike, or get in by horseback to those spots. The North piece of Don Getty has some adjacent logging areas off of the Powderface trail, but again, those logging roads were decommissioned as soon as the logging was completed and not really accessible by vehicle.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/76...lbow_sheep.pdf

Never heard of this guy or his show until the news article and this thread showed up. I watched his Instagram 'explanation' and I agree, he is like Greg Ovens, trying to plead ignorance.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Watched the video. Basically the summary would be “guilty and sorry, BUT…”. Imaginary line dividing where I can and cannot hunt, didn’t know I can’t shoot animals without a tag, ie tag issued to another person, and calling it a licensing issue. Weird stuff!

Never heard of the guy before this thread either. Likely won’t hear again.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Wow, didn't know he couldn't drive into area, didn't know he was hunting in a park, and tagged a ram improperly, and his defence is , that he didn't know. He made no effort to learn the regulations, or the area he planned to hunt. He did get off easy.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Wow, didn't know he couldn't drive into area, didn't know he was hunting in a park, and tagged a ram improperly, and his defence is , that he didn't know. He made no effort to learn the regulations, or the area he planned to hunt. He did get off easy.
But in his defence he stressed that it was only 3 of his many hunts were he was convicted…….. unreal 🤦
Old 02-09-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
But in his defence he stressed that it was only 3 of his many hunts were he was convicted…….. unreal 🤦
Lol. Made me laugh.

But it is all just small licensing issues and not knowing where the “imaginary line” is. It’s not a big deal and could have happened to anyone.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Only 3 he has been caught for
Old 02-09-2024, 05:34 PM

He is obviously a liberal / Trudope supporter, just do whatever you want and when you get caught just say it was an honest mistake and I'm sorry, the only thing missing was the Trudope crocodile tears, the guy is a looser but just like a Turd that floats he will pop up somewhere else you can bet on it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.