Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Good dog breed??

We are looking for a medium size dog, one that doesn't shed much, good with kids, good indoors and out. We are thinking of a labradoodle or wheaten terrier, just wondering if anyone has advise on a good breed for this purpose?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 PM

I have had a standard poodle for a couple of years now. Does not shed, great with kids and easy to train. Lots of people might laugh but they are real dogs not like what you might think. If I were to get another it would be this breed for sure.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

How active? The labradoodle is not a breed. There is no way to predict the individual outcome of any breeding for temperament or coat. Labs and Poodles are not medium sized. The Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier is a very nice dog but the lack of popularity may make finding a good dog on a reasonable time scale difficult.

Whatever breed you chose find a breeder that can show you what kind of temperament you can expect from the pups - preferably from generations of breeding results. A family pet needs to be trainable. Many dogs are not (terrier breeds are not known for being "easy to train").

Have you looked at the Griffon?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

Does your Standard retrieve? There are a few folks who are reviving the working instincts in the breed and getting some Hunt Test titles on their Standard Poodles.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Yes it does retrieve. To my surprise she is really active and runs like the wind. I would say in our case the poodle is more medium size maybe because it is female. I have seen some male standards and they seem to be alot bigger.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM

G'day Pope!

Potentially, you could get a thousand well-intentioned suggestions here from the good folks of the AOF. However, I'd suggest you do what I did, and do some extensive researching on your own. It's so easy to do now, with all the internet tools available.

I'm a 'BIG' fan of . This is where I started my search for a good dog breed ... http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&so...&oq=good+dog+b

'Good Hunting' for your next dog!

GW

Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM

I have had a German Shorthair for almost 10 yrs now, He is 55 lbs. the size will depend on the parents, i've seen shorthairs as small as 35lbs. Does he shed? Of course like all dogs do but not long hair sticking to everything in the house. If you keep them outside they get climatized to the weather, I didn't do this so when it is real cold, he is inside. Very active, great around people and kids, never had a problem with him fighting with other dogs.
Just my opinion, and I would get another in a minute.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM

IF you live around Calgary, there is a wheaton breeder south of Calgary. I know two that came from the breeder and they are coming along nicely.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM

Portuguese Water Dog
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM

I work with someone who has 2 wheatons that are crazy, she is spending a lot of money with a trainer to keep them from destroying everything. But that is the only experience I have with them.

Can't go wrong with Goldens, although they have a bit of hair and might be a bit bigger then what you are looking for. Might be something to look into if you are new to owning a dog.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishead View Post
Lots of people might laugh but they are real dogs not like what you might think.
I was one of those "laughers".....until an Uncle of mine got one. Very protective and if you do some research....they're a HUNTING dog

His loves water and works very well as a retriever......changed my uninformed opinion in a huge way. Really a great breed

tm
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM

We were looking for a medium sized dog as well. I had a few breeds picked out and was going to get serious after hunting season but when I came home from a week long trip my wife had an English springer spaniel sitting by the door. I had been around a couple before and they had not made my "list" but i don't think things could have worked out better.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Britanny. Mine is 40 lbs (3 year old male), never slobbers, rarely barks, has never bitten, only chewed up something he wasn't supposed to once (as a puppy). They are easily trainable, loving, friendly. They point and retrieve (land and water). Not bad shedders. A springer is pretty nice too. I just like a pointer.

I couldn't resist him:

Don't you dare come here to AO for advice and then pick a dog that doesn't hunt!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Default re

i give another vote for english springer but they do shed a bit.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm going to put my vote in for a Small Munsterlander.
Outstanding breed!! Wonderfully smart with a good temperment. Very good family dog. They are everything the GSP is with a longer coat so you can have your dog along on those late december goose hunts.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
The labradoodle is not a breed.
I'm sitting on the fence with regards to that.

The average North American labradoodle is a mutt.

But . . . the are a group of people based in Austraila who have developed a standard, are breeding to accomplish that standard, and are a working towards having the Australia National Kennel Club fully recognize the Labradoodle as a pure breed. (http://www.laa.org.au/)

Despite the stupid name, the dogs are being developed in the same fashion most recognized breeds were developed.

Personally, I'd consider importing a Labradoodle from Australia that was bred by an LAA member, was the offspring of Labradoodles, and closely resembled the standard that the LAA has established.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Labs and Poodles are not medium sized.
We have miniature Labradoodle, first gen. He's 40lbs. Great hound! Super smart. Second gen and later are the ones who barely shed. Our first gen sheds.

You really have to do your research if your serious about a Labradoodle. Lots of Labraduds out there.

Puppy

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
We are looking for a medium size dog, one that doesn't shed much, good with kids, good indoors and out. We are thinking of a labradoodle or wheaten terrier, just wondering if anyone has advise on a good breed for this purpose?

Thanks

You've just decribed a Vizsla. Do some research on the internet to see what I mean.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How active? The labradoodle is not a breed. There is no way to predict the individual outcome of any breeding for temperament or coat.

X2 Vin......
Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
You've just decribed a Vizsla. Do some research on the internet to see what I mean.
They are a beautiful dog for sure......lots of energy though!!!!

tm
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Second gen and later are the ones who barely shed. Our first gen sheds.
If your dog sheds and you breed it to another Labradud that sheds you will get ..... dogs that shed! Repeat for a dozen generations and you will get ..... dogs that shed!

If the Australians are developing a breed type, registering foundation stock that breeds true to type and then making application for a recognized breed from them then good on them. There really are very limited choices in the non-shedding dog breeds.

The current state of "Labradoodle" in North America is a crap shoot - or worse.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

tm
Ohhhhhhh yeah....or as an instructor we trained with, put it...exhuberant.

Incredible caring dog and very trainable. Usually the girls are a little soft, so a heavy hand will shut them down. They will do anything for you, just to please you and are great with kids. I've seen both my girls get between kids and ppl that they don't know. Not aggressively, but very protective of kids.....not to mention the way they perform in the field.

There has only been one dog in AKC history to get 5 championships..he was a V. That included confirmation, obedience, field , tracking and agility, I think.....

They are always under foot though. So not a good breed if your looking for a dog to go sit in the corner. V's insist on being with their ppl.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:

tm

Incredible caring dog and very trainable. Usually the girls are a little soft, so a heavy hand will shut them down. They will do anything for you, just to please you and are great with kids. I've seen both my girls get between kids and ppl that they don't know. Not aggressively, but very protective of kids.....not to mention the way they perform in the field.

There has only been one dog in AKC history to get 5 championships..he was a V. That included confirmation, obedience, field , tracking and agility, I think.....

They are always under foot though. So not a good breed if your looking for a dog to go sit in the corner. V's insist on being with their ppl.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
If your dog sheds and you breed it to another Labradud that sheds you will get ..... dogs that shed! Repeat for a dozen generations and you will get ..... dogs that shed!
I'm no expert, but I'm just going with what I've seen first hand. The second gen did shed, but nothing compared to our first gen. The 3rd gen we hung out with for a few days shed even less.

We love our dog and are very happy with the way he turned out, but having said that, I wouldn't get another one. Way too hard to find a good breeder. Sooooo many duds.

We looked for a few years as my wife had her heart set on a Labradoodle. Luckily we were able to find a breeder in Sask that we would visit every few months. They had a good plan and system that seemed to produce very good dogs and happy owners. We followed up with litters and were able to stay in contact with some of the new owners. Only then did we buy one.

They have stopped breeding now after a tragedy in the family, but we stay in touch with them and they are happy to get pictures and reports of how our dog is doing.

There is my Ladbradoodle story. Take it for what its worth...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Default medium size

wouldnt crossing a chiguagua with a bullmastiff get a nice medium sized dog that doesnt shed? ( im not sure if the female should be the chiguagua or the mastiff.... guess it dont matter.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Exhuberant.....that's a good one

They were at the top of my short list for a long time while we were deciding on dogs......still one of my favourite looking dogs. Not to side track but here was my short list.

Karelian Bear Dog
Finnish Spitz
Hungarian Vizsla
Pit Bull
GSP or GLP

Wound up going with the KBD as they are very well suited to the climate up here and a good fit with the family interests. Couldn't be more happy. Got three girls....one is 7 and the other two had their 3rd birthday on Saturday.

My only advise for a guy looking for a dog is to really think about what they want and need in a dog.......then RESEARCH who the best breeders are...very much worth the time and effort.

tm
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Exhuberant.....that's a good one

They were at the top of my short list for a long time while we were deciding on dogs......still one of my favourite looking dogs. Not to side track but here was my short list.

Karelian Bear Dog
Finnish Spitz
Hungarian Vizsla
Pit Bull
GSP or GLP

Wound up going with the KBD as they are very well suited to the climate up here and a good fit with the family interests. Couldn't be more happy. Got three girls....one is 7 and the other two had their 3rd birthday on Saturday.

My only advise for a guy looking for a dog is to really think about what they want and need in a dog.......then RESEARCH who the best breeders are...very much worth the time and effort.

tm
Noting your location, I understand your list.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post

Thanks
"Britanny. Mine is 40 lbs (3 year old male), never slobbers, rarely barks, has never bitten, only chewed up something he wasn't supposed to once (as a puppy). They are easily trainable, loving, friendly. They point and retrieve (land and water). Not bad shedders. A springer is pretty nice too. I just like a pointer."

x2 I had an oversized Britanny for 12 years. I had a similiar list of wants in a dog except mine included being a hunting companion as well. Most of it came natural to the dog, like pointing, and with very little training he was an excellent flusher and retriever. Feerless in the bush and loved the water.

Mine had an outstanding temperment. It didn't have an agressive bone in his body and I never had to worry about him being over-protective, etc. He did shed a bit in the winter but every spring I'd take the dog clippers to him and shave him down to about 1/4".

On the downside my dog needed plenty of exercise. A walk around the block just didn't cut it for him. He needed a good run, up to 10 kms, every 2 or 3 days to burn off some energy, at a minimum of once a week.

Last point, research terriers before picking one up. Some breeds are very protective.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=41034

Perhaps there is some information in there that you might find useful.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Noting your location, I understand your list.
I've got a soft spot for Pit Bulls....I think they get a bad rap. I've only been exposed to 2 of them in my life and they were both unbelievable dogs. They just ain't suited to winters in the NT.....but I really think they are a beautiful looking dog.

Had to punt the Pointers and the Vizlsa for the same reason.....-40 is a little rough on them for extended times.

tm