Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Default Low Bow Sucked today

river is down about 4 feet from the last 2 weeks. I checked out the forks today, only a couple suckers and a small walleye so I decided to check out my mooneye hole upstream. Lots of big goldeye, some big mooneye, a couple different types of suckers, and my biggest sturgeon so far, 41 inches of pure muscle, headed out into the main current when I hooked it, and for you uglystick haters out there, mine handled this fish no problem, and with an awesome fight, and only 10 minutes from my front door

[IMG]http://i787.

photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF2946-Copy.jpg[/IMG]

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up

Nice sturgeon, Wayne.
Have you tried flyfishing for goldeye/mooneye?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 PM

only seen them jumping one evening this year so far, but my flyrod is in the truck for the next time , didnt have any flies the last time. saw more sturgeon jumping today than anything else, quite a sight to see a 3 or 4 foot fish jump completely out of the water and crash back in like a fat kid doing a bellyflop!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM

I thought that might of been you WC that was myself and 2 buddies in the boat.We had a good day around the corner from you.There seems to be a few sturgeon around we seen a couple jumping as well.Pound for pound they are the hardest fighting fish in Alberta.We are heading back first thing in the morning.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Nice fish
Are moon eye good eating and do you catch them like white fish thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Wayne, your sturgeon are getting bigger and bigger, koodos and congrats to u, keep it up my friend. Gonna be in your neck of the woods soon, pm will be incoming in a few days.
X2 on the ugly stix, they work fine and are a grrrrreat price. It's not the rod...it's how u use it.... They work great for ALL AB species imo.

I agree also Dago, hands down, pound for pound, no other AB fish can match the strength of them beautiful Dinos!

Congrats again Wayne, good job bud!
Cheers
Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Where is this?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Banned

Nice pics Wayne thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Dago, nice boat saw some big sturgeon jumping around there,its pretty impressive to see a 3 or 4 foot fish come completely out of the water like a dliphin! I only caught a couple suckers and a walleye. The place I ended up is very close to my home and never seen anyone else fishing there, its a bit off the beaten track. FF I was totally surprised to hook this sturgeon, thats my goldeye hole, and usually get a few pike and some decent walleye out of it too, I dont think its very deep there. Its the Bow downstream from Bassano, I wont eat anything out of it no matter what the species. Goldeye are supposed to be good smoked, if you freeze them for a few months first, fresh I hear they are terrible, been a long time since I tried frying one up.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Thanks Wayne. I am just getting back in to fishing after many years (17+).

My Dad named his software company after the Goldeye (Goldeye Software) but he has never even caught one. He plans on coming to visit from Seattle so I want to take him fishing for a few of these.

I will have to do more research on the holes where they are and what to use to catch them.

Much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 PM

thats a better one Wayne. too bad your lady friend wasn't there to snap a couple better photos for you. should have dragged her out.

Dace
Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
Thanks Wayne. I am just getting back in to fishing after many years (17+).

My Dad named his software company after the Goldeye (Goldeye Software) but he has never even caught one. He plans on coming to visit from Seattle so I want to take him fishing for a few of these.

I will have to do more research on the holes where they are and what to use to catch them.

Much appreciated!
Red Deer River in the vicinity of Drumheller; Morin Bridge (upstream 1km), Nacmine (rail bridge), Bleriot Ferry.

Grasshoppers/Dew Worms on a 3/4 inch long shank #8 or #10 snelled hook 4 feet above a one ounce weight.

I'll PM you exact spots and other techniques when you post a thread about your dad visiting from Seattle,, deal?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
thats a better one Wayne. too bad your lady friend wasn't there to snap a couple better photos for you. should have dragged her out.

Dace
Except he would have been taking the photos of her, cuz she woulda' caught a 42"er! JK!!

Fried up a "fresh" goldeye once and never again, mind u it was from the forks, but it was disgusting imo. Smoked could be better eats for sure. Same night we tried a fresh ling and walleye as well, they tasted fine and we never got sick or nothing. Musta been the road pops because that's the only time I've ever eaten a fish from the rivs down south.
Curiosuty got the cat that night!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:13 PM

deal. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
deal. Thanks for the tips!
they hang out along the shore a lot, you can also hang a hook a couple feet under a bobber with a piece of dew worm on them, or catch them on the bottom as well. what part of the province are you in?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Not sure how I missed this one, but wicked sturgeon Wayne!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks Jay, Im slowly working my way up to the record should take about 100 years at this rate

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds