Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Default Heading to Wabamun lake

I am heading to wabamun lake tomorrow with my 3 teens to try out the new boat. Any recomendations as to what to watch out for?, Where to launch and well the hot spots. Also could not find out if Wab has a bait ban checked regs but did not mention anything> Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM

launch at the provincial park, go try out the new boat around the lake then come back towards moonlight bay and fish along the weed edges, goodluck
Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks will do..Heading out now..Damn rain
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Possibly looking to camp out at Wabamun Lake Provincial Park sometime in August. Is there decent shore fishing in the Provincial Park itself, would love to take the little one out.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
launch at the provincial park, go try out the new boat around the lake then come back towards moonlight bay and fish along the weed edges, goodluck
This is great info, i've fished wab before but never thought to go under the tressle and into moonlight (didn't even know of moonlight until i googled it just now). Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper3 View Post
Thanks will do..Heading out now..Damn rain
Sapper, please update on how it goes for you out there. I will be there on Saturday!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Provincial Launch is ok. Town of Wab. launch is better. Two basic spots are along the weed beds along the rail bridge produce odd pike. Straight out from town launch along weed beds on the south side of lake are good producers too. These spots will keep you busy for awhile.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Wab has a few boat killers in n it. Look over google maps satalite image to see them perticular the huge rocky flat that streatches south of coal point in Falis. Also just north of the most southern bay on the east side is a nasty little under water point that streatches way out into the lake. As for hot spoth the west side of the big point off of Falis has a shallow shelf streatching out a few hundered feet with about 3-6 feet of water then dives down rapidly to 25 feet. Troll along the shelf or anchor just on teh edge and cast onto the shelf. Usually get at leat 1 over 10 there....good luck! Hope to be there my self Sat. if you are around drop me a PM and Ill give you a personal whats where and how show and tell.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM

I was hoping to stay and shore fish in the Moonlight Bay near the train trelis. But looking at Google Satellite, it looks like all private land and dense forest....is there any public access around there. We are planning to stay at the prov. park campground.

Do have a little one (2 year old) who I would like to take to an easy spot. Let the wife sit and sun herself in a chair.

Last edited by jgrocks; 07-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Anton Chigurh;1011341]This is great info, i've fished wab before but never thought to go under the tressle and into moonlight (didn't even know of moonlight until i googled it just now). Thank you.

with the campground, boat launch, marina/dock in this bay it sees a ton a boat and other water craft traffic. there's many other places on the lake to fish that are a lot quieter. then again if you like a good gongshow anchor up any where in the bay and watch, lots of action especially during the week-ends. give the south shore across from the town boat launch a shot.

Dace
Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Wabamun does not really have much for the access you are looking for from shore to accomadate a young child and a tanning wife. The train bridge is probably your best bet, but far from Ideal. It gets pretty busy there as well. Not trying to put you off, just want to prepare you I guess. YOu will see people trying to fish off the dock in the park and town, but its pretty useless as its really busy and really shallow for quite a ways out. Hopefully someone else knows a spot and can help out.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM

The train bridge area has shrunk with the high water, I would not take my kid there to fish...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Hmmmm...might have to think about going to Mcleod. Thinking of going the Wednesday after the long weekend and camp till the Sunday. Anyone know the odds of getting a powered camp site there on Wednesday? I would think it starts to fill up on the Thursday for power sites.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM

dont ever launch at seba beach you will get stuck, dont launch in town to usually windy there and alot of onlookers, launch at the provincial park its not windy in moonlight bay and awsome fishing in the bay as well, you can go under the bridges but reduce speed, great fishing just outside moonlight bay as well
Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
with the campground, boat launch, marina/dock in this bay it sees a ton a boat and other water craft traffic. there's many other places on the lake to fish that are a lot quieter. then again if you like a good gongshow anchor up any where in the bay and watch, lots of action especially during the week-ends. give the south shore across from the town boat launch a shot.

Dace

Will do, thanks! Last time we stuck to the reeds about 150 yards south of the town boat launch, and picked up a couple really nice pike...then things got quiet, hahaha. I'll putter around and swap between moonlight bay and the south shore across from the boat launch. Quiet is more my speed...gongshow, not so much, hahaha.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Planning on hitting up Wabamun on Saturday as well but will be in a canoe. Do you have to pay to get into provincial park and use their launch? Is the East end the best for fishing from a canoe?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM

no fee to use the park or launch. Paddle around the weed edges in the bay itself or paddle under the bridge and hit up the weed lines out there! I would personally head to Falis, shove my canoe in there and fish those drop offs....seen a few guys being towed around by big pike. Thats where I'll be Sat!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Default How about swimming on Wabamun Lake?

Hi,
Is there sandy beach there? Is water clean enough to swim?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav View Post
Hi,
Is there sandy beach there? Is water clean enough to swim?
There is a good beach at the Provincial park. From personal experience though, there is a crap load of swimmers itch at that area of the lake.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Well went out and caught a few pike, we were going to try out by Fallis but it was too windy for the canoe. Went back to the provincial park and fished the north end of the bay. Using spoons and reeling fast to stay out of the weeds seemed to work as we caught half a dozen in less then a couple hours of fishing. One small one and the rest were around 3 lbs.

Comment on the water quality, not sure what it is usually like but the water was actually pretty clear. No where near as murky and algae filled as I remember it being last year.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Well went out and caught a few pike, we were going to try out by Fallis but it was too windy for the canoe. Went back to the provincial park and fished the north end of the bay. Using spoons and reeling fast to stay out of the weeds seemed to work as we caught half a dozen in less then a couple hours of fishing. One small one and the rest were around 3 lbs.

Comment on the water quality, not sure what it is usually like but the water was actually pretty clear. No where near as murky and algae filled as I remember it being last year.
were u fishing by the hydro plant?if so any luck?...oh ya was it a gongshow out there...lol
Old 07-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy198 View Post
were u fishing by the hydro plant?if so any luck?...oh ya was it a gongshow out there...lol
No just the north end of moonlight bay. Was surprised there weren't more people around, tons of people on the beach and vehicles everywhere in the parking lot.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM

how far is moonlight bay from where the ppl launch there boat?...i know it is on the east side of the lake if looking at the view proper.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy198 View Post
how far is moonlight bay from where the ppl launch there boat?...i know it is on the east side of the lake if looking at the view proper.
The provincial park launch is located in moonlight bay. The town launch is quite close.

I think the better fishing is outside the bay but it can still provide some fun especially if the wind isn't cooperating like today.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM

wouldn't mind to hit somewhere to nail some pike,don't care about size,just go out and enjoy the day
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM

Default Wab fishing update.

Fished the top of a remote drop off halfway across Wab and fished 11FOW. Caught lots of hammerhandles, but couldn't find the big ones. Will probably fish that spot next time i'm out to see if the big ones are lurking deeper at the bottom of the slope.

Some of the hammehandles I caught also had large and fairly fresh bite marks on them which tells me there are likely some monster gators hanging around that area as well!

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 07-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM

thorne mentioned the Fallis point, I would agree this is a good spot.

As for swimming, that same sandbar is huge and is 2-4' deep with a nice sandy bottom and is a good place to swim. Beautiful part of the lake there...
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Were there last weekend

Yes, the provincial park's beach was way too croudy. And for canoeing I would say it is not the best place, because there were too many motor boats there.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
dont ever launch at seba beach you will get stuck, dont launch in town to usually windy there and alot of onlookers, launch at the provincial park its not windy in moonlight bay and awsome fishing in the bay as well, you can go under the bridges but reduce speed, great fishing just outside moonlight bay as well
X2 my buddy caught a 16.4 pound pike right in moonlight bay fishing close to the bridge i caught a 9 pounder at the beggining of the season there well
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker4Life View Post
X2 my buddy caught a 16.4 pound pike right in moonlight bay fishing close to the bridge i caught a 9 pounder at the beggining of the season there well
When I was there last saturday, we had a great time and picked up over a dozen 2-3 pounders. We tried venturing out further to other areas but couldn't find any other good spots...was really hoping to snag something over 5 lbs everyone says to just find a place 10-15 feet deep with weeds, but I had no luck. Maybe I will work my way around fallis...although when I was there last, I could find the drop off that was described to me.

Maybe next time!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Tough day out at Wab...spent the better part of the day out there, and only picked up a few 2 lbs pike.

Stuck to the weeds east and west of the town boat launch...quiet as ever!

Was it the heavy rainfall yesterday? Washed lots of worms into the lake, so the fish weren't hungry for my spoon? Haha, who knows, but a beautiful day to be out there either way!