Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Default Opinions on a good all round shotgun?

Its been a few years and it appears a lot has changed. I am looking for a new do it all shotgun and am looking for opinions. I am looking to do everything from shoot clays to geese, but a lot has changed since I have needed to buy a gun. I have an old school Rem 870 wingmaster that I love but it was my Dad's who has since passed on and just want to keep it as a keepsake from now on. So what is a good all round gun? preferably with interchangeable chokes, looking for quality without breaking the bank. I see the Rem 870 expess is reasonable but hear they are a lot lower quality than the classic rem 870s? I hear Benelli is a decent gun but overpriced for the quality? I see Rem has an 870 sportsman model out, anybody try that? How about the Winchester SXP? Please share your preferences and reasons
Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM

I have a left hand Remington 1187 semi auto 12 gauge. It works great, never a jamming issue and works well on clays or geese with very little recoil.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 PM

I have had the opportunity to fire a couple Benelli's and I have to say that when my ole maverick '88 is no longer good enough I would spend the dough on one. A very fine shotgun for sure!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500... I give the edge to the 870 because she's slightly easier to strip right down and service

That being said... there's nothimg wrong with weatherbys, benelli's and so on and so fourth
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 PM

If you get a 3-1/2" I would get a semi auto. A pump in a 3-1/2" beats the crap out of you.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If you get a 3-1/2" I would get a semi auto. A pump in a 3-1/2" beats the crap out of you.
X2
I have more hours behind a shotty than one should admit. Here is my thoughts.

Semi Auto is the best all around gun and there are 2 types. Gas and recoil operated.

Browning Maxus et al, Beretta's gas guns are beautiful to shoot. Just need a little more cleaning than the recoil operated ones.

Benelli's and Browning A5's recoil operated, very well engineered, little to clean. Recoil is much higher even noticeable on trap loads.

Remington Versus, shoots and cycles really well, soft shooting. Once you take it apart its the poorest built piece of crap you have ever seen. The hammer is made out of stamped metal and mushrooms after about 200 rounds.

Stoeger. Its owned by Benelli but do not think you are getting the Benelli technology for half the price. They are ok but have cycling issues.

To close it up get any gun that starts with a "B" that fits you. It doesn't matter what brand how much blah blah, if it doesn't fit your not gonna hit anything.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:16 PM

thanks for the info guys, Think I am going with the Semi auto, the prices are a little intimidating but don't want to buy another one for a long time
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM

I own a pump, a sxs and an auto, all 12 gauge. Can't recall the last time I shot the pump. The sxs is my favorite in terms of appearance. My A400 Xtreme is my favorite of the three waterfowl.

Oh, I almost forgot. I also own a sxs in .410. Sweet for chickens but not enough poop for waterfowl, at least in my hands.

Bobby B.

PS I also own a Savage 220 slug gun in 20 gauge. The stock is bloody awful. I now realize why they're often referred to as 'tupperware' stocks.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Smile The 870!

You're right the express is not the same gun as the one your Dad left you, sometimes the empty sticks in the chamber. My wf has an 870 wingmaster and it is great, we don't shoot 3"+ shells though.

I bought a Stoeger semi because it has the same internal workings as the Benneli, I was always worried if I fell after a shot I didn't want it to fire as I fell. The 870 was safe that way, and so is the Stoeger.

If it were me, I'd give your Dad's gun a few shoots every season, I'd like my son to do that when he gets mine.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM

Not sure of your price range, but if its on the lower end I could not be more impressed by my stoeger 3500 or my bro in laws weatherby sa-08. Both rock solid, thousand of rounds down the pipe.

The weatherby especially is cheap in price but not cheaply made. Swings and shoots like a dream
Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 PM

More good info, and yes I will still occasionally shoot dads ol Wingmaster. Price range? I would like to keep it near $1000 as possible so guess im looking at used. Will also looking be looking into the weatherby & Stoeger
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 AM

no reason not to continue shooting Dads old Wingmaster. You won't wear it out, and parts will always be available if something does wear.Extra barrels are readily available everywhere in any choke or length you can think of.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM

The Winchester SX-3 is a great buy for the price. They are very dependable, and recoil with heavy loads is much lighter than with a pump action.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM

My opinion is based on what works for me, it works because it fits my body shape and size.

You should set a budget number, and then make a list of shotguns that fit your budget and requirements.
Then go and handle as many if the shotguns on your list, and see which ones fell the best when shouldered and swung.
From this short list throw an enquiry on the forum asking if anyone will let you test drive some of these shotguns ( range setting of course)

Then make your purchase.

Best of luck to the OP, and please share with us how you made out.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM

I personally like my wing master so much I'd tell you to get a second one to use more and save the family gun for special use. I've actually done that with a couple family guns I didn't want to expose to daily use.
Other than a used wing master go Benneli or Browning can't go wrong.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Couldnt possibly be happier with my Weatherby PA-08
Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Beretta a300 outlander is good for the price ,good semi IMO shoots what ever you throw at it. The only thing I didn't like was recoil pad ,put a limb saver on it.works great.Just make sure it fits.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Do you belong to a range? You gotta test some different guns. I'm asking because most folks are happy to let you try their gun at the trap range for that reason.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Beretta a300 outlander is good for the price ,good semi IMO shoots what ever you throw at it. The only thing I didn't like was recoil pad ,put a limb saver on it.works great.Just make sure it fits.
I have been trying to figure the difference between the A300 and A400, am surprised that no info exactly what the differences are? Do you know?
I am a member of a local club, but most likely not buying locally as there is very little selection
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff282 View Post
I have been trying to figure the difference between the A300 and A400, am surprised that no info exactly what the differences are? Do you know?
I am a member of a local club, but most likely not buying locally as there is very little selection
The gas system is similar to the A400, but the non rotating bolt is more like the 391. It appears to be a lower cost hybrid of the two.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Sherrif,

I went through this a bit ago. I have a couple of pumps (Mossberg and maverick) love them. I am sport shooting clays etc and wanted to step up my game.

#1 Get a shottie that fits YOU! All the name brand in the world that doesnt sit right in your shoulder or doesn't swing right for you = no fun.

To put it in perspective I haven't paid more than $300 for any of my several guns and rifles in my life... The first time I shot the browning Silver Hunter I went home to the wife and asked for $1150 to buy it. No regrets at all.

Some thoughts if the Silver Hunter fits you. There have been several for sale on these forums in the last few months. Not because they aren't amazing guns (even the sellers will tell you that) but the new maxus models and A5 is out and a lot of old Browning folks are upgrading. My thoughts? Dude the Silver Hunter as a model hasn't changed much (if at all) in nearly 30 years. With that kind of track record that is the gun I wanted. I am sure the newer models are engineered to be "Better" in some way but I like quality I can depend on.

Good luck. All of the advise I read is spot on and more than one person has said it, get a gun that fits you.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 AM

I have both Remington 11-87 and Stoeger 3500. Both work well and were under $700 new. Both are sometimes finicky on #8 clay shells, but will do OK on the 7.5's.

Brother has a Versamax and it's handled every shell type in any order we've thrown at it. Quality seems ok to me. The Sportman version doesn't come with the case or the grip inserts, but is $400 less
Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
X2
Browning Maxus et al, Beretta's gas guns are beautiful to shoot. Just need a little more cleaning than the recoil operated ones.
I own a Maxus and it is a great shotgun. I can't say enough good things about it, I have never had any issues with it. As far as cleaning goes, I clean mine maybe once or twice a year. In one year I put well over 3000 shells through it. In that time I cleaned it once and it never hiccuped or complained. You should be able to find a used Maxus for around or under $1000.00. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM

depends on how you plan to spend, if you want affordably cheap, Remington or Mossberg build a 2-300 one, if you want more the skies the limit. I have an 870 wingmaster express, shoots upto 3" magnum which now does 3.5" but I have never had any problems. can buy multiple after thought barrels to change things later.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500... I give the edge to the 870 because she's slightly easier to strip right down and service

That being said... there's nothimg wrong with weatherbys, benelli's and so on and so fourth
+1

Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870: We Settle the Debate Once and For All

h t tp://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2014/01/mossberg-500-vs-remington-870-we-settle-debate-once-and-all?src=SOC&dom=fb

7 Best Pump Shotguns for Less Than $500

h t tp://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/06/7-best-pump-shotguns-less-500?con=outbrain&obref=obinsite&src=related&con=ou tbrain&obref=obinsite
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
I have both Remington 11-87 and Stoeger 3500. Both work well and were under $700 new. Both are sometimes finicky on #8 clay shells, but will do OK on the 7.5's.

Brother has a Versamax and it's handled every shell type in any order we've thrown at it. Quality seems ok to me. The Sportman version doesn't come with the case or the grip inserts, but is $400 less
Yes, I am going to wait to get to Calgary to handle all the models to see what fits & feels the best. A little spooked about spending the $2000 it takes to get into the Beretta A400 or Benelli, at least until I see how much of a chance I get to get out and shoot it. I have heard a lot of great things about the Browing Line, with guns around the $1200 mark. But have heard that the Stoeger M3500 is a very well built gun as is the Franchi Affinity. If I end up shooting a great deal I can always trade up to an A400etc later. Doogie how do you like the Stoeger, and anyone have experience on these 2 guns?

Tags
remington, shotgun, winchester