Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Couple more pic's worth re-posting.

D.

W/W Knot Options - Double Trilene or Palomar ....

Tipping a W/W with a "Ping Mag" can make all the difference .... see.

Sometimes size matters & small #14 or #16 works, too.

This sketch/pic helps clarify my earlier post.

W/W Tools of the Trade & components from Michael's the Craft Store.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Canadian Tire sells 20 gauge brass snare wire in the sporting goods section. Ideal for wireworms.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Made a few candy cane's with a twist ... yellow/orange & red/black have been very productive, we'll see how the others perform this season.

D.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Made a few candy cane's with a twist ... yellow/orange & red/black have been very productive, we'll see how the others perform this season.

D.

Awesome Zip . Those look like total Money.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 PM

Hey Zip!! I retied a few that I was short on from last year that worked pretty good.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Hey Zip!! I retied a few that I was short on from last year that worked pretty good.
Nice work ... I've had a lot of success with those

D.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Picked up some fresh Pink Mag's at the GTI station in Sylvan .... these work great with any W/W for Whites, Perch & Walleye, too.

D.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:30 PM

I went to Bead works here in Edmonton today. 156 street and 102 avenue across the street from Domo gas bar. They have tons of beads and wire from 12 gauge to 30 gauge and them some. Good variety’s colours too. All kinds of beads small beads big beads glow in the dark beads. Decent pricing too. Check them out.

They were amused when I told them I was going to tie up some fish hooks with what I purchased. Good helpful folks there.

BW
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I went to Bead works here in Edmonton today. 156 street and 102 avenue across the street from Domo gas bar. They have tons of beads and wire from 12 gauge to 30 gauge and them some. Good variety’s colours too. All kinds of beads small beads big beads glow in the dark beads. Decent pricing too. Check them out.

They were amused when I told them I was going to tie up some fish hooks with what I purchased. Good helpful folks there.

BW
Tks for posting will have to check this place out. Most every time I go to Michael's the craft store looking for wire or beads I get a lot of stares from a number of women some look like sisters in their polka-dots dresses, they even asked me what I'm making, I just smile.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 AM

I always found a small thawed frozen minnow on a wire worm slayed the whites at Lac St Anne. I stomach sampled them and the larger whites are very piscivorous. Pigeon also to a lesser degree.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Tks for posting will have to check this place out. Most every time I go to Michael's the craft store looking for wire or beads I get a lot of stares from a number of women some look like sisters in their polka-dots dresses, they even asked me what I'm making, I just smile.

Cheers

D.
The business is called Bead World, not Bead Works.

BW
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Never targeted whites do you guys think these will work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25A8CE29-99C2-4DB0-8AB0-A5C4C3150226.jpg (18.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Banned

I use these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B5B2BF4-697D-49A0-B018-3844D7DE25F1.jpg (19.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
They will work good
Old 12-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
They will work good
I hope your right because I have no clue when it comes to these fish
Old 12-10-2019, 11:42 AM

I picked up a vice last night off of face book. So much easier tying wire worms now. Going to try and get creative with my ties as well, by adding feathers and fur.

BW
Old 12-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Looked at your creations, yes the W/W should work. IMO, the size of the hooks on the jig's may be a bit large/heavy for most Whites and they won't float down as slowly when you work your presentation. I found some 1/64 & 1/32 oz lead head jigs at Bass Pro that you may wish to check out.

My choice of hooks would be those with the eye facing up, they're easier to get your W/W to sit horizontal. I've seen too many Whites turn away at the last second when they came in for a look & my W/W was hanging down and not horizontal.

This hook is a Mustard #8 Nymph # 3XH-2XL as shown earlier in Post @296, notice the eye faces up.

Give the above some consideration & wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

David

Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I picked up a vice last night off of face book. So much easier tying wire worms now. Going to try and get creative with my ties as well, by adding feathers and fur.

BW

Look forward to seeing some of your F&F creations, a few pic's when completed would be appreciated.

D.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:50 PM

The other day when I had some spare time I had a look at some of my old creations that never made it into my W/W box. A number of them were either poorly made, wrong size hook, bad combo of colors, toooo big, toooo many wraps & toooo heavy. Some just got cut with side cutters to salvage the glass beads and others got taken apart to salvage the size # 8 or # 10 Daiichi hooks.

Wish I took a pic of the scrap pile it was a handful of old twisted wire and cut up hooks that hit the trash, but that's part of the learning experience.

Fishin Tip: .... be careful not to add to much weight or beads or wraps of wire to your creations, your hook will not sit horizontal and if you can't get them to float down or sit properly/horizontally when you twitch once or twice to trigger a strike, you may be disappointed while your buddy is having a successful day.

For your consideration.

D.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Looked at your creations, yes the W/W should work. IMO, the size of the hooks on the jig's may be a bit large/heavy for most Whites and they won't float down as slowly when you work your presentation. I found some 1/64 & 1/32 oz lead head jigs at Bass Pro that you may wish to check out.

My choice of hooks would be those with the eye facing up, they're easier to get your W/W to sit horizontal. I've seen too many Whites turn away at the last second when they came in for a look & my W/W was hanging down and not horizontal.

This hook is a Mustard #8 Nymph # 3XH-2XL as shown earlier in Post @296, notice the eye faces up.

Give the above some consideration & wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

David

Thanks for your input and I will keep this in mind on my next batch. These were just thrown together with stuff I had kicking around. If I have some 8# hooks I will attempt some more tonight. The jigs are 1/32 so should be good

Is there any other flies or lures you recommend?

As long as I don’t get called into work I will make my first clueless attempt tomorrow at pigeon
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Got my stuff together, were heading out on Sylvan tomorrow for opening day, if my creations produce, I'll post a few pic's of what worked & what didn't.

It's been snowing here since Saturday night and more snow in forecast, I find a light or a bright color works good on cloudy or snowy days, if the barometer is falling, a smaller sized #12 or #14 W/W is also recommended.

If your heading out around central AB, the highways here are slick, drive safe & wish you all the success.

D.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input and I will keep this in mind on my next batch. These were just thrown together with stuff I had kicking around. If I have some 8# hooks I will attempt some more tonight. The jigs are 1/32 so should be good

Is there any other flies or lures you recommend?

As long as I don’t get called into work I will make my first clueless attempt tomorrow at pigeon
OK ... keep up the good work, it's all about having fun doing something you enjoy & when you catch one on your own creations it's a rewarding feeling of accomplishment.

Jigs looked like 1/8 if they're 1/32 oz they'll work just fine. As for other recommendations, this thread is invaluable there are lots of great creations other members have included, check out the previous pages.

Good luck on Pigeon, if you're fortunate to hook a Mr. Snap size White on your first W/W creations, we would sure like to see pic's.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 PM

I am going with low expectations being an new species and a new lake but if I get luck I will post a pic or two
Old 12-13-2019, 12:43 PM

I've had a couple tough days but these worked the other day. Downsized the presentation to a smaller W/W used a Daiichi 1530 #10 Nymph hook in Brass with gold glass bead, tipped with a Pink Mag.

I had a few Whites hit the Chartreuse Yellow W/W that's tied 10" above my Vibro, but no hook-ups. Not giving up on it, will try the Chartreuse one more day before it put on a Brass W/W.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Zip. Here is another version of the Barbie collection. Last year at Gull I had good luck on these color patterns . Never did have a chance to try them out at sylvan. This year for sure. Tight Lines

Last edited by Jawjacker; 12-13-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post

Zip. Here is another version of the Barbie collection. Last year at Gull I had good luck on these color patterns . Never did have a chance to try them out at sylvan. This year for sure. Tight Lines

Bty Barbie's ... I also had some success with those last year. If you like the looks of Barbie, you can find the pink 20 ga. wire at Michael's the craft store.

D.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:01 PM

This sure is an ugly fish, but it couldn't resist this W/W, made from the brown wire you find in Cat 5 computer wire at Cdn Tire and a rubber green glow bead from The Fishing Hole.

Pic credit goes to Scott (Bwackwabbit).

D.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Dec 15th .... these patterns worked today we caught Whites on every color but Red, they went after Red but couldn't get any hook-ups.

D.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Dec 16th ... seen 9 Whites today, only 2 small one's inhaled my W/W ... very slow day but these worked.

D.

Brown Cat 5 with Green Glow Bead

Brass with Gold Glass Bead

Old 12-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Cat 5 computer wire - Orange/Brown with a twist and orange glass bead was a hot pattern, got 3 Walleye & 3 Whites on Dec 18th.

My P/B White < 20" on Brass with Gold Glass Bead #1530 - 10 Hook

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-19-2019 at 09:13 PM.