Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Smile For those of you familiar with fishing BC...

Hey alllll,

Headed out to Panorama/Radium/Fairmont area of BC this week and im planning on doing a little fishing along with mountain biking and hiking.

I was reading thru the BC regs and I found this.."It is unlawful to: Use barbed hooks or a hook with more
than one point in any river, stream, creek
or slough in B.C. (Note: the use of barbed
hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in
the Regional Water-Specific Tables)" under the general regulations.

And this: "Single barbless hook: must be used in all
streams of Region 4, all year.
NOTE: “streams” defined on page 96." under the region specific regulations

Streams as defined on page 96: streams … flowing waters (rivers, sloughs
and creeks). Note that standing water behind
a beaver dam on a stream is considered part
of the stream.

So what I understand from this, is that I cant use a treble hook in any moving water in BC. Correct? If so, can I use trebles in lakes?? Trout ponds?
And just totally out of curiosity, why would it be illegal to use trebles in moving water??!?!?!?

Also, Does anyone know of a fishing guide online or in a store somewhere for BC. Something similar to Barry Mitchells Alberta guide, except for BC.

Tightlines!!!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:01 PM

I was out fishing on the Columbia river last fall and when I checked the regs I was also shocked to see you can only use single barbless hooks in flowing water. No treble hooks. I guess the reasoning behind it would be for survival rate of the fish when catching and releasing. But then why can you use treble hooks in some lakes? Hmm...
Having said that I did have some luck catching kokanees and rainbows. I just couldn't use my favorite hooks.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:11 PM

I fish BC a lot and your understanding is correct.

Barbs and trebles are allowed in lakes, pond etc (non-streams) unless otherwise specified. For example Kootenay Lake is barbless but trebles are allowed.

When chucking or trolling "gear" such as a rapala with 2 trebles in streams, one must remove the trebles and attach 1 single barbless siwash hook on lure to be legal.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM

i thought there must be a reason why on the fishing shows in bc the rapalas always have just one single hook on the back i do this in alberta makes for easier release i hate messing with treble hooks
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Thumbs up

Crap, i was hoping i was wrong..
I guess i will stick to lakes/ponds with my spinning gear.

And I suppose I will dig out the flyrod for streams and such....can't expect to catch anything with my flyfishing skills..... but, hey, its called fishing NOT catching for a reason right?

Thanks for the responses guys, might pick up some single hooks for a couple lures tomorrow.. even though i LOATH swapping hooks....
Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

It's all about perceived/proven mortality. Lakes are stocked, most streams aren't. Have a good trip and hope you have success. Rick.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM

There is Fishing Mapbook's for each region in BC. You can usually pick them up at Canadian Tire or some gas stations will have them. They have directions to get to the lake, a pretty basic topo map of the depth, what facilities are there and a little write up about the lake (what fish, what to use etc.)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

You are correct.

BC isn't the only place doing this either.

The thing is...there is simply too much pressure on the fishery there sometimes.
Just look around your camp ground and count the out of province plates...the population of the province must double every summer.
The fish living there spawn in the rivers and the small streams and sloughs become nurseries. Treble hooks do a lot of damage..especially to small fish and almost guarantee fishing success.
The use of barbless hooks and the ban on treble hooks also makes catch and release more effective because (again) the hooks do less damage to the fish.

They are just trying to ensure that there are fish there in future and that they aren't all tiddlers.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM

One thing you can do in BC that you can't do here, is use two rods, as long as you are alone in the boat. That can be a lot of fun.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM

In BC, for most put/take lakes, they allow barbs and trebles (easier for families and kids). In areas where they need to practice conservation (streams and rivers), tighter regulations are in place.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 AM

It also has to do with SNAGGING, it's supposed to be near impossible to snag in flowing water with only the one hook. Although there are experts that use one hook when "Flossing" for Salmon.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Yup, the guys here have it pretty well covered. Check the regs for the lake you'll be fishing. Some are single barbless as well. I decided to go single barbless with all my gear since I'm a BC'r and quit thinking about whether I could use the lure I wanted to or not. You lose a few more fish, but you get better in the process.

Its a ways away, but both Fred's Custom Tackle and Berry's Bait are excellent shops with fantastic staff and can probably offer some great advice for you.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbProwler View Post
It also has to do with SNAGGING, it's supposed to be near impossible to snag in flowing water with only the one hook. Although there are experts that use one hook when "Flossing" for Salmon.
Snagging is easy to do with a single hook. The Sockeye flossing/harvest is an example of this and in no way do you need to be an expert to floss a sockeye. Long leaders and bouncing betties are all you need. Plus if you use an enormous hook, you rarely lose a fish (barb or no barb)... now the ethics of all this... well, that's a completely separate discussion.