Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Default Pheasants ....whats up...

Not much on here for pheasanting opener ....

My informed sources tell me that its a bit of a tough go..

I missed it , spent my time operating on thousnds of mallards ...

Hope it gets really cold really quick , hairballs like that weather ....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

I was out for a drive last week just after the snow day before the opener. Man was there a crap load of rooster's out. In a 4 mile stretch of road I came across 8 rooster's.

I was not hunting that day just having a look around but I did enjoy seeing that many out.. Put that area in the memory bank for future hunts.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM

I was out on the Milk River Ridge south of lethbridge on the opener and second day for phesants and it was brutal. We got our limits but we had to walk up to 6 miles both days were in past years we had been done by 10:30 am. We also got to experience the first year of the RAMP program, in my opinion it wasn't that much of a hassle but the majority of the guy's we ran into hadn't signed in and better yet didn't even know what we were talking about when we asked them what they thought of the program.

I was told by Fish and Wildlife over 1000 roosters were released on the milk river ridge, our hunting party did not see any of them as all the birds we shot were wild. I guess fish an wild life want to concentrate all of the pheasant hunting in the Brooks area, I think this will be a mistake in the long run as it will lead to over crowded hunting areas and too much pressure on the birds. All in all I got to spend two days on the ridge doing what I love but if its going to be this hard to find pheasants up there next year I'm going to have to quit smoking.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Between 2 of us over 4 days, we ended up with 5 Pheasants and 6 huns. WE didnt see alot of birds either. And all the birds we shot were wild as well. A local said that it was a tough winter with alot of snow in the coulies. Which in turn pushed the birds up to where they were easy pickings for the predators.

As for the experience of the RAMP Program, not sure. But the guy who figured he could cut in and hunt over our dogs then proceeded to point his gun at me because we said no. Well, I'm sorry I removed your gun from your hands and launched it into the coulee. maybe you'll be a bit smarter next time. OBTW, I turned your vehicle headlights off that you left on.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 AM

Default Lack of Birds

Not many birds around here ethier. Lots of hunters, mainly from Sask. and BC. Can an Albertan go to Sask and shoot their roosters, every time I'm their I see tons?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM

not many birds is the report I got.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Hmmph, its good that theres lots of male chickens running around, what about c@ck pheasants??
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM

I was out on Monday south of Lethbridge and there where very few birds we where out most of the day and only saw 9 roosters, a bachelor party of 8 and 1 on some bales and all where on posted land.
Does it seem like there is more posted land all the time there?
Also a land owner cultivated some of the road/ road allowance, and I can not figure out if it was to stop traffic or help smooth out the road, road was rutted and bad.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Roosters

Was out for the first time with the new pup last Saturday. Limited out on roosters and huns by noon. She did great.. pointed and flushed 6 hens before she locked in on 2 roosters for me. She had no problem finding the one that I winged and was running on the other side of an irragation ditch. I was one proud Dad. Birds don't seem bad where I hunt.. huns seem down a bit but pheasant numbers seem fine.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM

3 of us went out on the opener. Saw 7 roosters but only managed to bring 1 down, the dogs were very upset with us. Guess we were more excited than the dogs. Much better luck the next day and we came home with our limits. A good couple days all in all.

Headin back out thursday.

pheasant phever is in phull ephect
Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 AM

Not to get off topic, but good point Hound Dog. No we are not allowed to hunt Pheasant in Sask. Pretty sad that we are governed on what we can and can't hunt in Saskatchewan yet they can come to our fine province and hunt what ever they like. And now with talk of putting WT on draw, I think its time we look at the way we allow our neighbors to hunt in Alberta.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
Between 2 of us over 4 days, we ended up with 5 Pheasants and 6 huns. WE didnt see alot of birds either. And all the birds we shot were wild as well. A local said that it was a tough winter with alot of snow in the coulies. Which in turn pushed the birds up to where they were easy pickings for the predators.

As for the experience of the RAMP Program, not sure. But the guy who figured he could cut in and hunt over our dogs then proceeded to point his gun at me because we said no. Well, I'm sorry I removed your gun from your hands and launched it into the coulee. maybe you'll be a bit smarter next time. OBTW, I turned your vehicle headlights off that you left on.
WHAT??? i think we need to hear this story...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Saw three roosters in two days south of Lethbridge. My dog did her job and flushed one from a bush. Flew out right in front of me and I rushed my shot and missed.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
WHAT??? i think we need to hear this story...
X 10 It sounds like a good one!!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post

I would have shut his headlights off with my boots.
What a putz, there is a REASON that one is not supposed to point a firearm at anything except a target, and this idjit needed a good lesson in
"bullying manners" good for you.....
Cat
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM

On Sunday I went to ol' faithful with one other dude. We walked ditches, bushes and gullies all day, only flushing one hen and a few partridge. Grim...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Very grim for me too. Went to the old standby spot with next to zero hunting pressure and saw nothing. Walked miles.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM

Worked my dog way to hard on the first day and a half, for 4 roosters. The dog was done for the rest of the hunt, very disappointing last couple of days. Not many birds but a whack of out of province hunters, (BC & Sask). Seeing this, I just wonder why I have to pay 21$ a day to fish the elk river in BC, can't hunt pheasant in Sask, or Turkey in Manitoba. This may have to be looked at but I am not confident anything will be done. As for Ramp, amazing how many people didn't even sign in. I had some difficulties as well finding the sign in box for some properties and cards when I got there late in the day. Somebody taking more than an extra card for later.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM

but my legs have never looked better!

Road hunting is not hunting.