Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Default 2400 buildings lost in Fort McMurray

Heard that there have been 2400 buildings lost in Fort McMurray so far, will take a bit to recover from this devastation.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Just seen that on CTV, terrible.

TBark
Old 05-09-2016, 04:22 PM

4 years, ft Mac gets back to where they were, last Monday.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Wasn't there "only" 700 lost in Slave? Oh my... I think that this will bring the town together and they will grow as a community because of it.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM

I know at least one of the major camps changed hands about a year or so back, I'll bet the previous owner is feeling sellers remorse just about now...

Housing workers for the rebuild of Ft Mac as well as rehousing those who've lost their homes is going to entail quite a number of rooms being required. I doubt that the current supply will meet demand. As for housing families that's another matter, kids dictate different housing needs than are required for the typical worker.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Yet another houseing boom in the fort! Anyone wuth a rental place left standjng will be renting bedrooms by the hour.
sounds like important infrastructure made it...
I couldn't imagine going through what they are going through.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Nutley will limit the wage workers and control the rebuild costs, this could get out of hand on the chargeable rates, I see gouging is going to happen.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Nutley will limit the wage workers and control the rebuild costs, this could get out of hand on the chargeable rates, I see gouging is going to happen.

You could be right. Along those lines, do you think companies that put up residents in their camps will charge back the daily costs to the taxpayers? My bet is yes, but....
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
You could be right. Along those lines, do you think companies that put up residents in their camps will charge back the daily costs to the taxpayers? My bet is yes, but....
Problem is there isn't enough local contractors to do the rebuild, with them staying in camps someone has to pay for this. So I see possibly some people may not have enough insurance coverage to cover this expense, depending on the policy coverage limitations of each house. If you got $700,000.00 limit coverage and it costs $900,000.00 someone is going to be short.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Problem is there isn't enough local contractors to do the rebuild, with them staying in camps someone has to pay for this. So I see possibly some people may not have enough insurance coverage to cover this expense, depending on the policy coverage limitations of each house. If you got $700,000.00 limit coverage and it costs $900,000.00 someone is going to be short.

Indeed, that could be a real problem. I'm guessing it's going to be 18 months or so before some of the places are rebuilt. What do those folks do while they're waiting? They have live somewhere, maybe they'll move in temporary trailers or something?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Oh she might like to try, but most of it won't be any of her business. Private buildings being rebuilt on private insurance money are not under her purview, as much as she might like to control the wages of people in that area its none of her business. She'll manage her best by taxing the hell out of everyone's earnings though.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Actually she'll probably start with rent control in Edm / Calgary. Several displaced co-workers I talked to today who were trying to find rentals in Calgary found out that rents have gone up at least $500 per month over the weekend.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM

The good news is, no lives were lost, the bulk of homeowners were insured and Albertans are optimists. Ft. Mac will rebuild.

Grizz
Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The good news is, no lives were lost, the bulk of homeowners were insured and Albertans are optimists. Ft. Mac will rebuild.

Grizz
2 lives were lost.
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/p...e-are-two-now/
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Actually she'll probably start with rent control in Edm / Calgary. Several displaced co-workers I talked to today who were trying to find rentals in Calgary found out that rents have gone up at least $500 per month over the weekend.
If they are having trouble finding good accommodation PM me... if they can pay rent and live clean I have 3 suites ready to go right now in an adult building close to downtown.

The monthly rent will be the same for them as it was posted for last month!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Wasn't there "only" 700 lost in Slave? Oh my... I think that this will bring the town together and they will grow as a community because of it.
433, and 89 damaged. I helped on the construction of 6 replacement homes, and it was quite a while before anyone was pounding nails up there. I expect the same with McMurray, but once it starts it will be fast an furious. For those effected, just keep your guard up for shysters.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
433, and 89 damaged. I helped on the construction of 6 replacement homes, and it was quite a while before anyone was pounding nails up there. I expect the same with McMurray, but once it starts it will be fast an furious. For those effected, just keep your guard up for shysters.
Keep your guard up for shysters ? is Justin coming to Fort Mac ?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 PM

I'm sure the gov is already getting a trailer town setup going like they did for high river. It sucked but it was somewhere to live and eat free for a long time
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Keep your guard up for shysters ? is Justin coming to Fort Mac ?
In time he might make an appearance, maybe.

In all seriousness though, my first trip to Slave for work had me subcontracting to a company out of Edmonton. Long story short, I had my doubts about his true intentions, but wanted to stay up there and continue helping with the rebuild. Ultimately, we ended up hooking up with a local builder, who was there long before the fire and would be after the rebuild was done. It was a much better experience from then on.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Does anybody know the numbers for homes needing substantial work or completely written off in Calgary and High River etc ?

How many people were out of their homes for the first few days ?

How many people left homeless (stayed in temp trailer towns etc ) for more than 6 months ?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Tell them to come to Edmonton we have not raised our rents and will not

Mack
Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Lots of interesting questions. How do they decide whose house gets rebuilt first? To build 2400 homes, likely 5 years, perhaps more. How many people will wait 5 years? House will be allot more expensive to build 5 years from now rather than present prices. I suspect there will be a significant number who do not rebuild, will take the partial cash payout and live elsewhere and commute to Fort McM to work - which I hear the oil companies actually prefer.

In talking to my insurance agent, if you do rebuild and want a payout, they payout is not 100%. Think this is to prevent people burning down their place and collecting cash.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM

I left McMurray in 2004 after over 30 years of life there. The quick bursting at the seams growth with a lack of infrustructure was my main reason for wanting out. I have family and friends that still reside there that are now very affected by this tragedy. I cannot for the life me see how anyone will want to live there now that it will look like an apocolypse for the most part. One thing it did have was its natural beauty of the boreal forest. Now however, it will look like a wasteland. Its very sad. It will come back but not for years and years.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I left McMurray in 2004 after over 30 years of life there. The quick bursting at the seams growth with a lack of infrustructure was my main reason for wanting out. I have family and friends that still reside there that are now very affected by this tragedy. I cannot for the life me see how anyone will want to live there now that it will look like an apocolypse for the most part. One thing it did have was its natural beauty of the boreal forest. Now however, it will look like a wasteland. Its very sad. It will come back but not for years and years.
Burnt areas will be cleared, new soil, grass, new trees etc planted. In 10 yrs the outskirts will have new growth half as tall as the old burnt trees. It will be a nice place to live soon enough again. Good opportunity to make some sports fields, parks and walking trails in the outer burn zones. And it will act as a buffer of some kind.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
Lots of interesting questions. How do they decide whose house gets rebuilt first? To build 2400 homes, likely 5 years, perhaps more. How many people will wait 5 years? House will be allot more expensive to build 5 years from now rather than present prices. I suspect there will be a significant number who do not rebuild, will take the partial cash payout and live elsewhere and commute to Fort McM to work - which I hear the oil companies actually prefer.

In talking to my insurance agent, if you do rebuild and want a payout, they payout is not 100%. Think this is to prevent people burning down their place and collecting cash.
I bet people who lost their homes are talking to home builders and securing their services one way or the other. Once the utilities are back and the clean up done i think building will start.

As for the bolded, I asked the same question to one of the Ins company adjusters we deal with last week. He said they will pay out the house value if someone does not want to rebuild, this will happen once the lot is cleared of any demolition, debris etc. It has to be a serviced and sell-able lot again if they want full pay out with no plans to return. Cant be leaving the lot with a basement foundation full of burnt materials and hazards is how it was told to me. This was just a quick answer to my question. I'm sure each Ins company will have their own set of hoops and rules. Best to talk to the only one who can give you solid info on your own situation, your own adjuster and see what your policy states.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Burnt areas will be cleared, new soil, grass, new trees etc planted. In 10 yrs the outskirts will have new growth half as tall as the old burnt trees. It will be a nice place to live soon enough again. Good opportunity to make some sports fields, parks and walking trails in the outer burn zones. And it will act as a buffer of some kind.
Yes i agree. It will take time however.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:32 PM

we sent up another van full of people today and supplies . I am now on a short list to go to Lac La Biche . Hopefully we are doing some good up there