Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I figured I'd go exponential and flex my years of Googling experience and watching a lot of Miami Vice. I think I've come up with obvious choice for your next boat. I'm pretty sure it will check all the boxes, except one, DO NOT beach it overnight...
Sold!
Old 08-03-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There isn't much point in spending more money to buy a boat built for offshore conditions, and then spending more money on a larger engine to push the heavier boat, if a person is only going to use the boat on inshore lakes, in much calmer conditions. And then there is the extra weight to tow as well.
Yep, agreed. Here's what I'm struggling with though. Where's that sweet spot? Would a 250lb heavier 1875 Tyee have that much of a better ride, handling and durability than a lighter Impact 1875? What's the cost/benefit ratio there?
At the end of the day my budget is what it is. The tradeoff will be how "used" I go. I could wrangle a 2 year old Impact or a 10 year old Tyee.
What would you do?
Old 08-03-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Yep, agreed. Here's what I'm struggling with though. Where's that sweet spot? Would a 250lb heavier 1875 Tyee have that much of a better ride, handling and durability than a lighter Impact 1875? What's the cost/benefit ratio there?
At the end of the day my budget is what it is. The tradeoff will be how "used" I go. I could wrangle a 2 year old Impact or a 10 year old Tyee.
What would you do?

I would get in a bunch of models in person and see what you like. Tyee’s have a high freeboard and wide gunnel. Good for riggers and netting fish. Impact has a lower freeboard so you can reach fish over easier, and a narrow gunnel.

It’s always best to get in the makes and models you are considering and think about how you will use it. Then choose the one that fits and then shop around for your budget target.

People fish differently, even on the same bodies of water for the same species. That’s why there are so many different layouts and styles.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-03-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Ever heard of the titanic? They can all be damaged by a lot of things but with the right captain you’ll be just fine. Even a glass boat can handle being pulled up on shore and if it’s sporting a keel guard you won’t even notice.

As for beaching. Back in the mid 90’s we pulled the boat up on shore at Shaws point on slave lake. The wind picked up a little that night and by morning half the boat was full of water. Tackle boxes were floating, bilge had quit at some point. That was the last time on a large lake. Still did it on the little ponds but not on anything serious.

If you’re going to leave it exposed it needs to be anchored with the bow into the swell. There’s a way of doing that where you don’t have to walk into the water to retrieve it but for most situations on a lake just pull it out. It takes five minutes and if it takes more then five minutes keep doing it and soon it’ll take five minutes. Most places in Alberta you’ve got to worry about theft if it’s out of sight or while you sleep.

If your anchor is ever dragging look into a rocna or sarca. Preferably the rocna. These are designs of anchors I didn’t know of when I lived there but they’re in another league when it comes to ease of setting and holding power on every bottom. The days of a danforth are long gone.

If the boats swinging around on its rode at night I would assume you neglected to set the rear rode off the stern back to shore on the loop system. Have a little look on YouTube and you’ll see how to fix most of that problem.

Extra fuel burn on a heavier boat? Yea it’s probably a thing I’m sure but I’ve got no way to calculate it. I would imagine for the distances traveled inland you wouldn’t notice enough to matter. I suspect there’s more fuel burn variance in size, brand and model of outboard then an extra couple hundred kg’s in the same boat but I don’t have any real life experience there so idk. I still wouldn’t consider that boat inland.
Hey, thanks, some great info there. Appreciate the first hand experience. You guys have convinced me to pull the boat out overnight. I'll definitely be looking up the loop system and rocna anchor for during the day though.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I would get in a bunch of models in person and see what you like. Tyee’s have a high freeboard and wide gunnel. Good for riggers and netting fish. Impact has a lower freeboard so you can reach fish over easier, and a narrow gunnel.

It’s always best to get in the makes and models you are considering and think about how you will use it. Then choose the one that fits and then shop around for your budget target.

People fish differently, even on the same bodies of water for the same species. That’s why there are so many different layouts and styles.

SS
This is really good advice.

What seems good on paper or online, might feel totally different to you in person.

There's no replacement for some actual hands on time with the different manufacturers and especially the different models. There are so many factors to consider. When it comes time to buy, you want to be confident in what you're after so that when one shows up, you can move fast on it.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:

SS
Excellent advice, choose what suits your uses best ,as far as how old, I look at hours and condition, more than model year. When I bought, used prices were so high, and used boats so scarce, I went new.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You probably need to stop with the constant aggressive remarks and provoking comments in a discussion forum .... people don't want to contribute to discussions when you respond the way you do. If you don't share the same opinion, that's cool, there are ways to express that like a grown up.

I had to think about this for a bit to make sure the response is worth both the effort and risk. I avoid at all costs making any posts personal about anyone else. This was the third time you’ve deliberately disrespected me in this thread. That has me convinced it’s worth the trouble as my silence would make me complicit in this pathological behaviour that plagues online communities.

Your response (above) seems what I would expect from someone who may possess the dark triad and certainly machiavellian traits. a clever way to distract from the conversation when your incapable of defending a position. A form of character assassination where you simultaneously get to play the aggressor, the victim and collect all the virtue. Honestly an advanced, woke technique for an outdoorsmen forum. That type of camouflage won’t work with me though and this is hardly the forum to discuss it.

I can assure you I’m not your adversary but if you view me as such you’ll continue to take everything I write out of context and turn it into one of these scenarios. You (incorrectly) infer the tone, I simply write my experience with some context and evidence to support my conclusion. I rarely speak but if I do it’s because I’ve got experience on that subject and my opinion will be based on said experience. It neither costs nor is worth more then anyone paid for it, it’s simply mine. Perhaps I’m guilty of not always conveying my experience in a way that people understand but then the onus is on them to ask for clarification.

OP and everyone else, sorry for the derail and making this messier then it should be.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:53 PM

Rocna vs. Mantus - strongly suggest the Mantus. Both similar designs but the galvanizing QC on the mantus is far superior in my experience. Owned them both and experienced rust on the Rocna while the Mantus looks like new after 8 years. Both have seen fresh and salt water.

Interesting conversation. I myself chose an outboard Thunderjet as my crossover which sees a mixed bag of Alberta lakes, BC lakes, and some off shore. 90% fishing with a little play time thrown in. Jack of all trades but a master of none. Choose your best compromise.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Rocna vs. Mantus - strongly suggest the Mantus. Both similar designs but the galvanizing QC on the mantus is far superior in my experience. Owned them both and experienced rust on the Rocna while the Mantus looks like new after 8 years. Both have seen fresh and salt water.

Interesting conversation. I myself chose an outboard Thunderjet as my crossover which sees a mixed bag of Alberta lakes, BC lakes, and some off shore. 90% fishing with a little play time thrown in. Jack of all trades but a master of none. Choose your best compromise.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Thanks, appreciate in the info. Those Thunderjets look heavy duty! Seems like a great option for a do everything boat.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:

SS
Copy that, heading to Barry Jay's this weekend to do some pretend fishing in the showroom. Me and the kid are used to fishing about a foot off the water so I think we're going to have to adapt regardless. Lower freeboard might be more familiar.
Would you have a minimum recommended size or model for Cold lake? You've had a few boats on there, did you ever wish you went bigger on any? I'd really like to explore the whole lake and be able to make it back easily if some weather rolled in.
Thanks for all the help everyone, I sure appreciate it!
Old 08-04-2023, 11:52 AM

If you got a big garage and $100,000 gibbons had a nice 22 ft kingfisher that would be perfect for cold lake .
Old 08-04-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Copy that, heading to Barry Jay's this weekend to do some pretend fishing in the showroom. Me and the kid are used to fishing about a foot off the water so I think we're going to have to adapt regardless. Lower freeboard might be more familiar.
Would you have a minimum recommended size or model for Cold lake? You've had a few boats on there, did you ever wish you went bigger on any? I'd really like to explore the whole lake and be able to make it back easily if some weather rolled in.
Thanks for all the help everyone, I sure appreciate it!

Barry Jays has my 2022 Xpedition 200 on the showroom floor at the moment. I’ve run it on Cold with confidence. Compare the freeboard to that of the 182 Sport that is also there.

SS

Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
What would you do?
That's a fair comparison on price, as the Tyees are, unfortunately a fortune these days (well over $100K when equipped) and even a 10 year old boat, just like mine (2013 model), depending on condition and features, could still be a painful $50,000 investment .....yeah, yikes.

But, in my opinion, and I'm clearly biased, the TYEE was my choice for the same reasons you stated. Wife, kids, watersports and fishing. The boat is rock solid big water boat great for even large inland lakes .... and the security of the deep vee, high gunnels and dry ride are worth every penny. The safety and engineering of the boats of that generation 2008-2015 had the highest floatation and safety rating of any boats on the water. The fact that you can drill 66 4" holes in the hull and she still floats (and drives) is piece of mind in those sketchy situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nub_Cm8PoqU

It's also comfortable, and easy to launch and load is a bonus too.

I've owned dozens of boats and this one is the best for me and my family. Would not trade it for a brand new one .... as this generation was the pinnacle of that brand/model year.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:55 PM

Aw, c’mon, you’re probably ready for a pontoon to relax on…you can let that Tyee go to a good home!
Seriously, thanks for highlighting some of the golden model years. There’s a 2008 I’m waiting for the price to come down from $50k a good bit.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:40 PM

I promised that I would share some photos from the Princecraft factory once I had my tour. Here you go.

Hull pieces cut and ready to assemble.

Drilling the holes for the rivets.

Riveting room.

Bracing structure.

Gunwale installation.

Post paint, getting dashes and interior installed.

Hope that helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2023, 08:19 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Tracker has some great boats as well. I have a 2012 V18 Targa that is a great all round boat. I've had it for 11 years and no issues. It's spent a lot of time on Kootenay Lake like EZM's boat
Old 08-22-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Have to go with the 1650

Quote:
I promised that I would share some photos from the Princecraft factory once I had my tour. Here you go.
Nice work, really good detail of how they're braced. Looks beefy. I notice the 2024 172's are supersized to 175's. Interesting...wonder if that's a name change only.

As much as I liked that Sport 172 at Barry Jay's....
I got some unfortunate news that my budget has to be cut in half. We're down to $30k. The upside to this is that I have it available now and don't have to wait until spring so hopefully I can get a bit more boat for the money.
Another plus side is that in the 16' range I can get a slightly newer boat and there's only a couple of models to choose from.
Both the Rebel 1650 and Fish hawk 1650 look like they'll work. Everything else seems limited to 60 max hp.

I'll have to grab one of these and hold on for another couple years before I get into the bigger boat. It'll still be a huge upgrade that adds massive functionality and comfort we're missing right now.
If anyone has some experience with either of these they'd like to share or have an option I'm missing let me know!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Tracker has some great boats as well. I have a 2012 V18 Targa that is a great all round boat. I've had it for 11 years and no issues. It's spent a lot of time on Kootenay Lake like EZM's boat
Haven't looked at Trackers yet. Maybe unjustified but I just got a general feeling that they were 2nd class to the Lunds, Cliners, Alumacraft, Princecrafts. I looked at Legend recently and definitely got an economy feeling from them.

My nature is very flawed in that if I don't feel I've got the best "thing" I can possibly get for my money I'm not happy with it. This personality quirk will likely cost me more over my lifetime than I'd care to find out.

If I had inside info into the margins of each manufacturer I might rethink my philosophy.
Appreciate the feedback either way.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:02 PM

Legend is definitely the K-Mart version of Lund. AB Marine tried to talk me into that one time and I was a hard no. Tracker is a really big deal when it comes to bass boats in the US, but I'm not sure about their all around deep hull boats. I was once told that Tracker prior to 2013 had a lot of issues, but they fixed them and the newer models are better. I'm personally still between Lund or Alumacraft, but that's just me. I'm sure there's people who have good and bad things to say about pretty much every brand...
Old 08-22-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Nice work, really good detail of how they're braced. Looks beefy. I notice the 2024 172's are supersized to 175's. Interesting...wonder if that's a name change only.

Both the Rebel 1650 and Fish hawk 1650 look like they'll work. Everything else seems limited to 60 max hp.
There is no change in dimension between the 172 and 175. Both are 17 feet 5 inches. Any other changes will be mostly cosmetic.

I will also mention the Holiday 162 WS DLX as it is rated for a 75 HP and would be closer to your budget.I only have a phot of a SC Max model here but you can get an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I will also mention the Holiday 162 WS DLX as it is rated for a 75 HP and would be closer to your budget.I only have a phot of a SC Max model here but you can get an idea.
I’ll check the weights. I’m leaning towards the heaviest in this size just to give me a bit more heft to slice through waves instead of riding them. The 75 doesn’t seem like a popular option though. Everything I see available is 60 or (gasp) 40.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:

As much as I liked that Sport 172 at Barry Jay's....
I got some unfortunate news that my budget has to be cut in half. We're down to $30k. The upside to this is that I have it available now and don't have to wait until spring so hopefully I can get a bit more boat for the money.
Another plus side is that in the 16' range I can get a slightly newer boat and there's only a couple of models to choose from.

I'll have to grab one of these and hold on for another couple years before I get into the bigger boat. It'll still be a huge upgrade that adds massive functionality and comfort we're missing right now.
If anyone has some experience with either of these they'd like to share or have an option I'm missing let me know!

I have a Rebel 1650 Sport with 90hp. It is very comfortable with three people fishing, and it tops out at 41mph.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=Koleswrath;4655576]

My nature is very flawed in that if I don't feel I've got the best "thing" I can possibly get for my money I'm not happy with it. This personality quirk will likely cost me more over my lifetime than I'd care to find out.

I happen to agree with this, to want the best value for the budget works for us also. If you truly get the best 'value' for your money, it will cost you less in the end. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-24-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I have a Rebel 1650 Sport with 90hp. It is very comfortable with three people fishing, and it tops out at 41mph.
Nice, good to know! I'm currently eyeing up two very nice options within my budget:
1650 Rebel XL - 2015 with jump seats and lower tier electronics/troller, no kicker, Honda 4 stroke, apparently 6 hours on motor. Boat looks brand new.
or
1650 Fish hawk - 2012 no jump seats/aft bench, higher end console and bow graphs, Ipilot troller, New 6hp kicker, and an Optimax.

I think the 3 years newer and 4 stroke (Honda) will help me out when it comes time to sell. I like 2 the injected 2 strokes but I'm not sure many others will appreciate it.
Both are in tip top shape with the Crestliner especially well taken care of.

The 2015 Rebel is $6k more but still within budget (sort of) but I'll have to settle for lower end electronics and maybe even no spot lock which I was kind of looking forward to. Might be able to get him down enough to buy a small kicker.

Decisions, decisions......
Old 08-24-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Nice, good to know! I'm currently eyeing up two very nice options within my budget:
1650 Rebel XL - 2015 with jump seats and lower tier electronics/troller, no kicker, Honda 4 stroke, apparently 6 hours on motor. Boat looks brand new.
or
1650 Fish hawk - 2012 no jump seats/aft bench, higher end console and bow graphs, Ipilot troller, New 6hp kicker, and an Optimax.

I think the 3 years newer and 4 stroke (Honda) will help me out when it comes time to sell. I like 2 the injected 2 strokes but I'm not sure many others will appreciate it.

The 2015 Rebel is $6k more but still within budget (sort of) but I'll have to settle for lower end electronics and maybe even no spot lock which I was kind of looking forward to. Might be able to get him down enough to buy a small kicker.

The jump seat is a nice option, we use it all the time.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The jump seat is a nice option, we use it all the time.
Agreed, I think they might be the deciding factor.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
or

if you a have electric trolling motor no need for a kicker unless you are going salmon fishing . since i put the minnkota ultara on the boat with spot lock never use the pro kicker 9.9hp merc any more.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
if you a have electric trolling motor no need for a kicker unless you are going salmon fishing . since i put the minnkota ultara on the boat with spot lock never use the pro kicker 9.9hp merc any more.
Ya, I could probably get away with a 24V 80lb but I like the idea of a backup in case the main engine goes down.
I'm pretty sure the universe has it in for me as well because every time the water is glass I get all excited and get packed up and get out there and within 5 minutes the wind comes up and starts blowing me all over the lake.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:00 AM

I had looked for a long time for a new to me boat. My old boat i inherited from my dad when he passed. i found what i thought was good value, a 2011 Crestliner Superhawk, 115 Optimax. The outboard only had 60 hours on it. Motorguide Xi3, which is a bit small, but seems to do the trick so far. I got it for 27000. Now this thing is mint, the previous owner took great care of it.
Has 2 full covers, 2 travel covers. Does the trick, there is never more than 2 people fishing in it. I wanted a 150 but TBH, what does that really get you? not much on the lakes i fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CL2011.jpg (84.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
I had looked for a long time for a new to me boat. My old boat i inherited from my dad when he passed. i found what i thought was good value, a 2011 Crestliner Superhawk, 115 Optimax. The outboard only had 60 hours on it. Motorguide Xi3, which is a bit small, but seems to do the trick so far. I got it for 27000. Now this thing is mint, the previous owner took great care of it.
Has 2 full covers, 2 travel covers. Does the trick, there is never more than 2 people fishing in it. I wanted a 150 but TBH, what does that really get you? not much on the lakes i fish.
I had this same boat, 2008 model though. I still kick myself for selling it when I thought a career I was in would last forever and prevented me from fishing in the summer........ At any rate, this is a super stable, deep boat. The 115 had plenty power for the lakes we fished as well! Very Nice Enduro!