Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2023, 11:44 AM

Default Crowded rivers and fishing etiquette

I live and fish in an ES2 area where we can pretty much have any section of river to ourselves for the day or duration of a trip. You don’t need to fight over the river. People avoid each other out there. It’s a luxury I take for granted.

With all the flooding on my home water, I was forced to find another location to fish and ended up down south in the beautiful ES1 area to fish the Oldman and Livingstone among some others. They were in great shape and was nice to see clean water. Fishing was good too.

I’ve been here a few times now and I’m always surprised by the crowds. Don’t get me wrong. I understand that transplanting myself from my own area into this one, I am contributing to it being busy. I’m willing to work a little harder to find a spot I can have to myself and usually don’t have any problems.

That said, it was very hard to find a place on the Livingstone to fish. People camped all along it and every place I tried to find a spot to decend into the canyon I could see multiple groups down below.

I did eventually find a nice spot and fished a couple bends unbothered for the most part. One guy left his group to fish 20 feet from me at the bottom of the hole I was on. His friends called him back. “Good” I thought. “Same rules must apply here”

A while later and further up river, I looked up from re-tying to see two guys fishing directly across the river from me. Didn’t even see them coming. They already had a fly on the water. They waved only once I noticed them, standing 30 feet away from me. I wasn’t polite. I did not wave back. They descended into the canyon and started fishing right there, regardless of my position.

“Do you always fish the same holes as other people?” I asked. That comment upset them. “My dad is 88 and I’m just trying to find him a spot to cast” the one guy says as the old boy fished, clearly annoyed by me. I had nothing else to say. After a minute or so they stormed off. The guy says “We hope you have a nice day. It looks like you don’t have much trouble getting around”

Here’s the thing. He was right. His father should be able to fish anywhere. Maybe that was one of their last trips together and I gave them a reason to enjoy it a little less, I thought to myself. I felt bad and found myself dwelling on it and how maybe saying nothing and just moving on would have been the better move.

A few things…

1, Say hello. Be polite. Don’t just walk up and start fishing. You would have gotten a different reaction out of me. I’d be happy to move on after a quick chat and leave you the hole, being more understanding of your situation.

2, You hiked into a canyon. Go fish the oldman if your dad can’t get around. You can fish from a damn lawn chair at your camp on the oldman road.

3, I agree your dad should be able to fish anywhere he wants/can access. Go about it differently though.

4, Are there different rules out here on a river this crowded?

I thought about this a lot. I feel bad those guys felt put out. But they are experienced anglers and should know better.

If I’m off base here please let me know.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:35 PM

Dude
You’re fishing the Livingstone…. What did you expect?

I hear the city of Calgary is planning to annex it soon…….

Albertas a huge province…. Read into that and solve the problem.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-01-2023, 09:51 PM

Default Livingston River

I have been fishing the Livingston river for over 40 years and the first 35 have been very peaceful and you would have to go around other people fishing and carry on. Now if you find a stretch of river to fish there will be people coming to fish right beside you wondering why you are fishing in their spot.
Not that much fun any more. I understand that people like to fish but it seems like they barge in and fish where ever they want and everyone else can pound salt.
PS. I do fish with a spinning rod 98% of the time.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:54 AM

Default Crowd fishing

I live in the lakeland area where we have 100s of lakes. When ice fishing we will drill 6-10 holes and move from hole to hole ,and if you leave on display any fish you may have, people will come use your holes or drill a hole 10 ft. from you. The lake is 40 km. long and 10 km wide- what the hell man !!!
Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
if you leave on display any fish you may have, people will come use your holes or drill a hole 10 ft. from you.
Heh, and you have to cover up any evidence as well - blood stains etc.

Back in my youth, my biggest peeves when ice fishing were the snowmobilers who would buzz as close to us as they could (again, with a whole lake to ride on) or those who thought it was a good idea to let their dogs run around and pee on our gear.

Still having fun though.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:13 AM

I was out at pigeon last week and drove away from the crowds in front of the beach so i could be alone so i drove in the middle of the lake and started catching walleye . Before I knew it a boat comes and pulls up 30 yards from me and not even a hi . We were catching non stop and he was not (I don't think he was using bait ). After every 30 mins they re anchored until they had fished all way around use over 4 hrs .
I should of taken a looser picture of them and posted it on here .
Old 07-25-2023, 02:54 PM

It’s always been a bit of a problem but definitely got worse after the scamdemic. People are quite selfish and have zero respect for other’s personal space. But that also happens when you’re raised in a city stacked on top of each other.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:07 PM

Couple weeks ago I was fishing a flat with rising fish when 3 people walked on top of the bank. ( assumed guide w 2 clients). I asked if they were trying to spook the flat for me . Guy not fishing just shrugged his shoulders. Then they started fishing 30 yards below me. Nobody on the rest of the river and rising fish in every run. Ended my day.
Last weekend seen a guy fishing a pool, on my way out a guide I know fishing for himself was on the otherside casting into the same pool. Honestly, to me the guides are the least respectful fisherman on the river. They are more important than the rest of us.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:17 PM
Banned

guess i'm the odd man out.......it's all public and don't they have the right to fish wherever they want?
Old 07-25-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
guess i'm the odd man out.......it's all public and don't they have the right to fish wherever they want?
You aren’t wrong but it’s viewed as being polite to move on somewhere else that’s all.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:54 AM

Default best day ever

I was looking forward to this spot for months, I had just hiked to the fishin hole, trout rising looked great,couple casts,rustling in the bush a lady with a backpack and a few weeks old child strapped to her, come along, They were about to hike on by I yelled over where you going come over,I invited her and hubby over for about 1/2 hour, probably not 10 words were said between anyone, sometimes its not about catching, fishing but filling the soul.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:50 AM

I can see how that would be frustrating for sure.

Some of the comments on here that give the a-ok to pizz poor manners are something else. If “outdoorsmen” on a forum think it’s okay to be rude, and angle in on people already enjoying an area, we are doomed.

Sorry your day was ruined.

Stuff like that happens all too often.

I don’t fish streams and rivers, but I do lakes, which are admittedly easier to find a spot on than a stream or river. I try and be proactive. If fish are biting, and boats are circling and not doing as well as we are, I will call out to the other boats to pull in and join in on the fun. Same with people ice fishing.

Actually did this a few weeks back on Calling Lake. Got to chatting with the fellas in the boat we called over, and damned if we hadn’t run into each other as complete strangers, while big game hunting years earlier, on land we both had permission to hunt.

Guess what we did back then? Combined our groups and hunted together.

Have had the exact same thing happen on waterfowl hunts.

Guys just have to stop being a-holes and say hello.

That adult son referenced earlier could have said hello, explained his father’s situation, and I am sure would have gotten a different reaction altogether.

Last edited by sns2; 07-26-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:36 PM

Default When I first came to Alberta...

It was 40 years or so ago now, but the first time I went fishing it was on the Burnt Timber river and the only other fisherman I saw was a young fellow at the bottom of one of the pools with a spinning rod and a whole lot of steel flashers in the end of his line. I didn't see him catch anything, but I was doing rather well with an elk hair hopper that I had tied myself. In those days I was the olny fly fisherman. Times have changed for the better.
I've fished in all 10 provinces and you get as one fellow in NFLD said "they will come and push you off the rock". It was on the Terra Nova River and he just sat down behind me and waited for his turn. We shared lunch, I had 2 lobsters and he had 4 cold Jockeys (a local beer). Love fishermen!
Old 07-26-2023, 07:51 PM

Please don't paint all of us with the same brush - though I do agree with some guides, they are the worst, but not all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
Honestly, to me the guides are the least respectful fisherman on the river. They are more important than the rest of us.

-Confucius
Old 07-27-2023, 03:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Meh, some anglers say hi, some don’t.
Some like to be close to others, some don’t.
If you want true peace well you can find it by putting boots on the ground and get at it but if you choose not to well expect to run into anglers from all walks of life.
Soon school will be back in and many will be putting away the outdoor gear etc to get back to their busy lifestyles perhaps plan a few outing then just to increase your odds of not running into no one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-28-2023, 05:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Have a look at sockeye fishing the lower Fraser videos on youtube , or Russian River reds. Then sit back and be thankful

The stories of fishers three deep on the river bank casting over the front two rows.... hmmmmm.... not for me, surely can find quiet waters somewhere.

Dont think theres no combat fishing in Alberta but still hear about sissies yelling gibberish comments at you for no apparent reason aside from things cooked up in their sensuous minds!

Gotta like it in a boat on the ocean... you can even feel the fish on the end of your line!!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 07-28-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Have a look at sockeye fishing the lower Fraser videos on youtube , or Russian River reds. Then sit back and be thankful

The stories of fishers three deep on the river bank casting over the front two rows.... hmmmmm.... not for me, surely can find quiet waters somewhere.

Dont think theres no combat fishing in Alberta but still hear about sissies yelling gibberish comments at you for no apparent reason aside from things cooked up in their sensuous minds!

Gotta like it in a boat on the ocean... you can even feel the fish on the end of your line!!!!
Grew up combat fishing salmon in the lower mainland. Seen many fist fights, knives pulled, and plenty of ugly things. There is places that I would not fish down there. The funny part sometimes you can walk a short distance and avoid the crowds because it’s a tougher to fish stretch or it just isn’t a named bar or hole. But as soon as the gong show clues in your catching fish the peace comes to an end

Oddly when I went salmon fishing with my old buddy who was a 7ft monster we always got extra space lol

You definitely learn how to control your cast fishing in the gong show so there’s a plus side

But even with my past fishing that mess I still believe a little respect is needed on the water. Don’t over crowd people and have some communication with others before you dive right into a spot if you see another angler. But there is plenty of guys who think they should have the whole river to themselves and need to relax a little

Some respect from both ends is needed

I don’t treat people very nicely who just push their way in and don’t respect my bubble though. Respectful communication makes all the difference
Old 07-29-2023, 01:25 AM

The best is when they come and start casting over your line and tangle, get all excited thinking they got a fish on. Then they finally notice the expression on your face when they pull your line and a fly out. Then the nerve to start asking about the “lure” you are using because they never saw anything like that before.

Another great moment is when they come from behind and simply stand there, right on the way of your cast with space already as tight as could be.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The best is when they come and start casting over your line and tangle, get all excited thinking they got a fish on. Then they finally notice the expression on your face when they pull your line and a fly out. Then the nerve to start asking about the “lure” you are using because they never saw anything like that before.

Another great moment is when they come from behind and simply stand there, right on the way of your cast with space already as tight as could be.
Doesn't even sound like fun might as well stand in a shoe shop during a blowout sale

I got a few places on the island I go to shore fish, 200 yards and only a few chucking buzz bombs etc
If one gets hooked up the others reel in and come over to assist....spoiled when you know areas that are less crowded and your surrounded by respectful anglers...paradise I say

Old 07-29-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Grew up combat fishing salmon in the lower mainland. Seen many fist fights, knives pulled, and plenty of ugly things. There is places that I would not fish down there. The funny part sometimes you can walk a short distance and avoid the crowds because it’s a tougher to fish stretch or it just isn’t a named bar or hole. But as soon as the gong show clues in your catching fish the peace comes to an end

Oddly when I went salmon fishing with my old buddy who was a 7ft monster we always got extra space lol

You definitely learn how to control your cast fishing in the gong show so there’s a plus side

But even with my past fishing that mess I still believe a little respect is needed on the water. Don’t over crowd people and have some communication with others before you dive right into a spot if you see another angler. But there is plenty of guys who think they should have the whole river to themselves and need to relax a little

Some respect from both ends is needed

I don’t treat people very nicely who just push their way in and don’t respect my bubble though. Respectful communication makes all the difference

We were sturgeon fishing and the shores were literally shoulder to shoulder with anglers we just blow by them to head out on the jet boat but I tell ya there was a Little Rocky island at a bend and a helicopter literally fly’s over us lands on the island, shuts her down and three guys jump out and start fishing in peace with lots of room.....guess that is what it takes....need a helicopter now.

My son walks 20km’s into remote lakes in the mountains and I can’t blame him.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
We were sturgeon fishing and the shores were literally shoulder to shoulder with anglers we just blow by them to head out on the jet boat but I tell ya there was a Little Rocky island at a bend and a helicopter literally fly’s over us lands on the island, shuts her down and three guys jump out and start fishing in peace with lots of room.....guess that is what it takes....need a helicopter now.

My son walks 20km’s into remote lakes in the mountains and I can’t blame him.
I probably know where to hide on the Fraser better than anyone you will meet lol. I grew up helping my dad tag sturgeon, guided it, and shot many blacktail off of islands on that river with a bow/shotgun. I even had access to gated areas through friends in the seabird band

There is plenty of areas that go overlooked and they don’t involve a helicopter, long hikes or even a boat. Add a boat and it gets even easier but 99% of people stick to named bars or follow the crowds. Even on the busy bars everyone huddled together but if you can read a river, work around snags, and understand how to target different water you can get space on a busy bar at least till others see you catching fish

Most anglers are copy cats when it comes to both locations and techniques

Regardless of all of that respect between anglers is still needed. The problem is too many are more concerned about an opportunity to catch a fish
Old 08-05-2023, 04:16 PM

Default Fish School

I guess people have to decide if they are fishing for a meal or an experience.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Laidlaw Bar on the Fraser when the sockeye are running is a classic example of a gong show. If you're lucky enough to find a place to floss with your fly tackle, catch a limit, and then find your truck still has wheels on it when you return then you've had an excellent day!
Old 08-06-2023, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Laidlaw Bar on the Fraser when the sockeye are running is a classic example of a gong show. If you're lucky enough to find a place to floss with your fly tackle, catch a limit, and then find your truck still has wheels on it when you return then you've had an excellent day!
Kieth Williston bridge on the vedder river doesn’t have the number of fishermen as Laidlaw but it is 100 times worse. People pack in so tight that it becomes a line crossing gong show creating lots of conflict. The cops patrol it often now for theft as well. We would sit on the bridge and watch the craziness at times when driving by as it was nuts. Rare occasions I would fish down stream but still in sight of the mob. I have lost count of the number of fist fights and have seen the cops haul guys away for stabbing or slashing other fishermen at least 6 times that I noticed

There is a few other bad ones worse the Laidlaw too but this bridge is the worst
Old 08-06-2023, 08:21 AM

Smile

You are not wrong. Most anglers do have respect. I fished a river in ES1 last week and asked a gentleman which way he was going. He was annoyed I asked. So it all depends on the anglers. Fishing the gap on the old man it is common to avoid pools other fishers are in. Totally respectful. Don’t feel to quilty and have fun fishing.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:46 AM

Sometimes i don't mind people pulling up and fishing beside me if they are quite . I Don't like other boats zipping by me creating large waves .
Old 08-08-2023, 09:17 AM

When I go out it’s rare to see other people. I generally fish in less crowded streams though. The odd time I do come in contact with other fishermen, we usually have a pleasant chat then go our separate ways. I don’t think I could stand fishing a crowded river. To stressful for me.