Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
I had looked for a long time for a new to me boat. My old boat i inherited from my dad when he passed. i found what i thought was good value, a 2011 Crestliner Superhawk, 115 Optimax. The outboard only had 60 hours on it. Motorguide Xi3, which is a bit small, but seems to do the trick so far. I got it for 27000. Now this thing is mint, the previous owner took great care of it.
Has 2 full covers, 2 travel covers. Does the trick, there is never more than 2 people fishing in it. I wanted a 150 but TBH, what does that really get you? not much on the lakes i fish.
Nicely done! Must be the 17' eh?
I'd be all over a 1650 Superhawk with a 115. I think the 17' might be just over my budget unless I could find a deal like yours. Although I must admit I feel a little more confident buying a 2015. Just less chance that someone's poor maintenance caused any lasting issues. Of course service receipts or parts receipts help out with that.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:36 PM

The Princecraft Nanook 166/Hudson 166 is a 16.5 foot hull rated for 115hp. That might be one to look for on the used market as well if you want more Hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-25-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The Princecraft Nanook 166/Hudson 166 is a 16.5 foot hull rated for 115hp. That might be one to look for on the used market as well if you want more Hp.

Yes! That’s gotta haul ass. Noticed a couple in Ontario but sadly nothing here. Definitely keeping an eye out for one. Heading to Cold lake on Wednesday for a few days. There’s a fish hawk to have a look at and maybe I’ll get lucky and go for a lake test.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Nicely done! Must be the 17' eh?
I'd be all over a 1650 Superhawk with a 115. I think the 17' might be just over my budget unless I could find a deal like yours. Although I must admit I feel a little more confident buying a 2015. Just less chance that someone's poor maintenance caused any lasting issues. Of course service receipts or parts receipts help out with that.
The optimax only had 60 hours, trolling motor was never used once, I couldn’t belive the shape.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
The optimax only had 60 hours, trolling motor was never used once, I couldn’t belive the shape.
Definitely some good folks out there keeping their boats in tip top shape. Good to hear you found one. I put an offer on a 2015 Rebel yesterday that was almost unused but was owned by a guy who didn’t really know that gear oil needed changing so I was hesitant and wondered what else he didn’t know. Offered a bit low and we couldn’t meet in the middle. Oh well. There’s a few more.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:19 PM

Well, the 1650 Rebel guy came back and said he reconsidered and we’ve got a tentative deal. Pretty excited! Might even get it out a few times to Pigeon or something. Found an 80lb Terrova on Kijiji. Is a 60” shaft too long? Really want that spot lock and hopefully this could eliminate my need for a kicker.
Also found a nice Garmin Echomap 95sv. This will be quite an upgrade from my stryker 4…lol. Should meet my $30k budget after I sell the Powerdrive for a few hundred.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Well, the 1650 Rebel guy came back and said he reconsidered and we’ve got a tentative deal. Pretty excited! Might even get it out a few times to Pigeon or something. Found an 80lb Terrova on Kijiji. Is a 60” shaft too long? Really want that spot lock and hopefully this could eliminate my need for a kicker.
Also found a nice Garmin Echomap 95sv. This will be quite an upgrade from my stryker 4…lol. Should meet my $30k budget after I sell the Powerdrive for a few hundred.
Wow that sounds great, and 60” shaft is not too long and will be appreciated if your trying to lock on a spot in a wavy lake.

Looks like patience paid off.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-09-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Wow that sounds great, and 60” shaft is not too long and will be appreciated if your trying to lock on a spot in a wavy lake.

Looks like patience paid off.
Thanks! Any thoughts on sonar units? I think I’m going to wait for Black friday and shoot for 50% off a Garmin Echomap UHD 95sv. Overkill? I’ve read that the 500w transducer is needed for deeper water.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks! Any thoughts on sonar units? I think I’m going to wait for Black friday and shoot for 50% off a Garmin Echomap UHD 95sv. Overkill? I’ve read that the 500w transducer is needed for deeper water.

That would be my choice if I had to do it again….

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-09-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
. Found an 80lb Terrova on Kijiji. Is a 60” shaft too long? Really want that spot lock and hopefully this could eliminate my need for a kicker.
The 60" is perfect - any shorter and you may be disappointed anytime your boat is pitching in the waves.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That would be my choice if I had to do it again….

Awesome, thanks!
Old 09-11-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The 60" is perfect - any shorter and you may be disappointed anytime your boat is pitching in the waves.
Beauty! Picked it up yesterday. No looking back now!
Old 09-11-2023, 02:03 PM

Had a crest liner 1650 sport angler for work. Nice fishing boat despite never getting to fish from it. Had a 75hp merc on it but was rated for a 115. Would have loved to have that same boat maxed out!
Old 09-11-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Had a crest liner 1650 sport angler for work. Nice fishing boat despite never getting to fish from it. Had a 75hp merc on it but was rated for a 115. Would have loved to have that same boat maxed out!
Definitely, right! Princecraft has one rated for 115 too but I haven’t seen a single one for sale.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:42 PM

Well, we finally got'er home! Now for some heavy cleaning, oil changes, filters, bearing grease, new troller, new graphs, etc. etc.
Let the good times roll!!

Show me all your tips and tricks for setup and organization.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat side view.jpg (87.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-26-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Well, we finally got'er home! Now for some heavy cleaning, oil changes, filters, bearing grease, new troller, new graphs, etc. etc.
Let the good times roll!!

Show me all your tips and tricks for setup and organization.
sexy rig - that Honda is going to run FOREVER. Enjoy the memories with it!
Old 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM

That's a beaut', Koleswrath! Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2023, 04:48 PM

Nice boat! Enjoy !

Dodger.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:07 PM

Congrats on a beautiful rig! You and the family will love it. Looking forward to seeing the first fishee pulled in.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Anyways, my question to the experts and experienced here is when do you buy a used boat? I'm looking in the 3-5 year old range and don't see any Sport 182's or 172's.
I just had this very conversation with a dealer that I'm going to have sell my 21 foot North River Seahawk. His opinion is to get the boat to him in January as that's when the sales start up for the year, with most of them done by May. He also said that that the boat would sit until January if I gave it to him now.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:52 AM

Thanks, all. Really appreciate all the advice and help! Boat runs like a dream. Lovin that Honda!

We got a few healthy Walleye at Pigeon last weekend, me and the kid had a blast.

First time I ever used a trolling motor. Big smile on my face the whole day. I used to hate blowing around in the wind.
Really looking forward to swapping the Powerdrive with the Terrova and setting courses and headings....and ANCHOR LOCK!!
Just waiting on a new plug and circuit breaker.

If anyone needs a 55lb 54" Powerdrive V2 let me know!