Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Default Wireless Headphones

Saw the thread on car audio and didn't want to hijack it, so figured I'd start my own thread regarding (wirelesss) headphones.

I've had a few pair of decent to excellent headphones over the years, a great pair of Koss phones from the 80s, a good Sony pair in the 90s...both wired. I picked up a pair of early wireless Sennhieser phones mostly for watching TV so everyone wasn't annoyed by me turning the volume up so high (prior to getting hearing aids). They were OK, but certainly had lacks. Then I picked up a pair of Bose OE2s one boxing day sale, (cord) and wow! Were those ever good on ear headphones! I think I got them in 2009, or there abouts, so ten years old. They still sound fine, but I had to replace the cord once, and the foam on ears is starting to disintegrate. So, I decided that a new pair of good blue tooth headphones were in order for my birthday.

I did a bunch of research, looked at the Sony and Bose, the Bang & Olafson, Sennhieser and a couple others. After talking to a friend who is a bit of an audiophile, he pointed me in another direction, and I trusted his judgement. Just got a set of the Bowers & Wilkens PX in the mail yesterday. I'm not the best judge at this point, as all headphones play in frequencies that I can't even hear anymore (really, why does a half deaf guy need good headphones?), but I am nevertheless really impressed with the sound quality, the tech (blue tooth seems really solid, nothing dropped as I wandered all over the house listening with the phone source in my offic, and also the Active Noise Cancelling seems excellent). Just started the 'burn in', if the quality improves as it should, I'm going to be extremely impressed.

So, wondering what others are using, and did I miss looking at any I should have before I decided?

As an aside, I sure am glad my daughter came to feed the dogs on the on the weekend (we were gone to Lethbridge), as Amazon Prime left my package on the front step for anyone to walk away with. Is it even worth contacting them and expressing my heart to them? Idiots......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
As an aside, I sure am glad my daughter came to feed the dogs on the on the weekend (we were gone to Lethbridge), as Amazon Prime left my package on the front step for anyone to walk away with. Is it even worth contacting them and expressing my heart to them? Idiots......
Nope. That is standard procedure. Typically they would replace it if it gets stolen.

Another option is to get it shipped to a "pickup depot" and then you don't have to worry about it.

I've heard of some people putting special directions on the order, like leave at back door. or something.

On a side note, new house builders really need to create a lockbox on the outside of the house that blends with the house.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Nope. That is standard procedure. Typically they would replace it if it gets stolen.

Another option is to get it shipped to a "pickup depot" and then you don't have to worry about it.

I've heard of some people putting special directions on the order, like leave at back door. or something.

On a side note, new house builders really need to create a lockbox on the outside of the house that blends with the house.
I rent a post office box for this very reason, but on occasion some of the things I order they will not ship to a post box (these phones being a case in point). Why? I have no idea...it certainly is more secure than leaving it on the front damn steps!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Honestly, Amazon is pretty good with replacing their stolen stuff.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Guy at work has these and says they are very good for the price point. So I can't personally say how they are but, I am going to be ordering a pair here soon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Zerof...-1-spons&psc=1

I right now have the Bose sport bluetooth ones, and they sound great but that cord between the two earbuds is annoying when working out. They stick when get sweaty.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 PM

In January I picked up a Bose pair of Bose over the ear, muff style wireless headphones for $399. Way above my budget but seeing as it is Costco I thought I would give it try.

Honestly they are good and very convenient, BUT I don't think they are $399 good. Maybe my sound standards are too high but I'm not over the moon impressed like I thought I would be.

I mainly listen to Apple music on my iphone on the Bose headphones. It's March now and after 2 months of using them for 5-6 hours daily I'm debating on returning them. If they cost $200 I would definitely keep them but for $400 I'm not sure.

Problem a less expensive set of headphones anywhere other than Costco is you can't return them for hygienic reasons.

So be really really sure of the sound quality and the fitment to your head. My head is on the small size and the numerous pairs I tried on a Best Buy would fall off my head.

That is my experience with the Bose.

I should add that I bought these specifically for the fitment, return policy and the noise cancelling function. I work in an noisey office environment and need to block out other peoples conversations and such.

Rusty
Old 03-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Bose so far have been the best I’ve had. Ive only had the wired ones though. I have a pair of monster blue tooth earbuds I wear when working out, sometimes if I listen to music when falling asleep. They still work great after a few years now. Sound is pretty good too! Just not as good as the Bose ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Sony WH1000 for me. Had them about 6 months now.

They were around 400$ I believe, maybe 450$.

Wish I'd have bought them years ago. I'm hearing sounds in my music I've never heard before. It's like listening to old songs that have been remastered. The noise cancelling is so good. Battery lasts forever.

Only gripe is they use micro usb to charge. Would prefer usb c - but that's hardly a complaint.

Happy customer here.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:15 PM

I have astros. I really like them.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:01 PM

Trick to shipping to a P/O BOX---- instead of writing your address as p/o box 555 your town. Write it as #555 Then your street address. Postal workers will get it to your box number-----that's the way I do it as we only have P/O boxes. Works for me.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I rent a post office box for this very reason, but on occasion some of the things I order they will not ship to a post box (these phones being a case in point). Why? I have no idea...it certainly is more secure than leaving it on the front damn steps!
Amazon has warehouses in Alberta where they hold stock, they pay private uber type people pennies on the dollar compared to what Canada Post costs them. That is why you have to get some products delivered to your door, the dude in a Honda Civic cannot drop products off to a PO Box or Canada Post depot.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilson View Post
Amazon has warehouses in Alberta where they hold stock, they pay private uber type people pennies on the dollar compared to what Canada Post costs them. That is why you have to get some products delivered to your door, the dude in a Honda Civic cannot drop products off to a PO Box or Canada Post depot.
You can have Amazon send any order to any Canada Post Office instead of your home.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeham View Post
You can have Amazon send any order to any Canada Post Office instead of your home.
That is not true, some items must be sent to your physical address. I ordered a laser pointer and some CR123 batteries. I could not ship them to a PO box, pick up point or my work address. They would only ship to my home address.

Also it seems you can not ship most pet supplies to a PO box but you can send them to a pick up point ( happened to be the same building though)

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM

After a ton of online research and trying on/listening to a lot different headphones, I bought a pair of the Sennheiser PXC 550's. I've had them a couple months now.

They're the over the ear muff style, with noise cancelling. The noise cancelling feature is pretty amazing. I actually put it on the lowest setting most of the time, otherwise, it truly does block out the outside world, you won't hear anything, even the things you might want to hear lol.

Using the wired connection, the sound is incredible. Wireless depends on the bluetooth connection. To an iPhone, they're probably 80-90% as good, hooked up to the crappy Bluetooth USB system on my computer, maybe 65-75% as good. The convenience of wireless is worth the trade off most of the time, and even at 75%, the sound quality is considerably better than any other headphones I've ever owned.

They charge via USB and I've been impressed with the battery life. Volume and track controls are right on the earphones, just swipe up/down or left/right on the right earphone, there's a built in microphone as well.

If I had a complaint, they are kinda large/bulky, a little heavy, and the ear cups can get a bit sweaty if you've got them on for a long time and you're doing something. I knew that going in though, that's true of most of the over the ear headphones.

They weren't cheap (I found an online sale and Best Buy matched the price so I went for it) but I'd recommend them if you're looking for high end wireless headphones.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM

I'm using Jabra Elite Sport in ear and they seem pretty decent. I like that I can take calls with them as well as listen to music/podcasts. Battery life seems good. Waterproof and don't fall out when active either.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Bought Sony whc500b for the wife at xmas. On sale for $79. Every sales guy I talked to said buy Sonys. Listened to several brands up to 200 bucks and these were as good as any. Wife wears them couple hours each day and charges them up once every 2 weeks. Great bang for the buck.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Bought Sony whc500b for the wife at xmas. On sale for $79. Every sales guy I talked to said buy Sonys. Listened to several brands up to 200 bucks and these were as good as any. Wife wears them couple hours each day and charges them up once every 2 weeks. Great bang for the buck.
x2. Also check out Klipsch. Bosse are as good but 2 to 3 times the money that Sony and Klipsch charge. I have a set of wired on ear Sienhauser noise cancelling for air travel that my wife gave me as a birthday present a number of years ago. Great but a lot of more money than the Sony or Klipsch as well but they are very compact.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 AM

I had to laugh - Halfway through reading your post, TC, I started thinking, "I wonder if he ended up getting B&W headphones..."

Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM

I have the high-end Sennheiser TR-195 wireless that I use exclusively with the TV. I've had Sony, and an entry-level Sennheiser before, and these are the best so far.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
After a ton of online research and trying on/listening to a lot different headphones, I bought a pair of the Sennheiser PXC 550's. I've had them a couple months now.
They were on the short list with the Bang & Olafson and the B&W that I ended up with, as well as the Bose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I had to laugh - Halfway through reading your post, TC, I started thinking, "I wonder if he ended up getting B&W headphones..."

Enjoy!
I am enjoying them for sure. Once I've got them burned in I am going to do a direct comparison between them and my old Bose OE2s (which I loved btw) but I already know these are a nice step up. As well they should be for the coin I dropped. I am questioning the wisdom of it considering the hearing loss I already have, but what the heck. You only live once. I like nice things.