Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 PM

Default hunting on road allowances

I just read an article in the mountain view county gazzette that said that the county's of Rockyview and Mountainview are lobbying the government to end hunting on unmaintained road allowances. It also says that there doesn't seem to be any opposition to this .it won't affect me as I dont usually hunt them but I know many birders do so I just thought I'd inform you all in case anyone cares to get involved. Sorry if this was already posted
Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Banned

Link to article:

http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/ar...0801/303039994
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 PM

“This is not about access. There is no intent to deny public access on undeveloped road allowances. This is not about an individual landowner. This is not about attempting to deny public access on a road allowance. This is about something that is unethical and wrong.”

Someone obviously hasn't tried to access any undeveloped road allowances. If they had, they would have found their access blocked by fences and no trespassing signs.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 PM

It's not yet about denying access.

How do you eat an elephant?

One little piece at a time.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Banned

The article states: “make it unlawful to discharge a weapon along or across an undeveloped road allowance unless they have permission to hunt on the adjacent private land.”

I think that they should amend the proposal to allow for bird hunting with a shotgun or small caliber rifle without permission to hunt on the adjacent land. I've shot a lot of chickens on road allowances/ditches without having to trespass to retrieve them. Not the best place to be shooting a big game animal due to the possibility of having to access private property in order to retrieve it though.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 AM

There was a thread on this last year. Search function time...

The proposed change will give private individuals exclusive hunting privileges to Public Land.

IMO, this is not acceptable and would be a very dangerous precedent.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

The proposed change will give private individuals exclusive hunting privileges to Public Land.

Totally agree WB!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM

X3 wb!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:

So you are worried about losing access to a 20 meter strip of land sandwiched between land you don't have permission to hunt on?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
So you are worried about losing access to a 20 meter strip of land sandwiched between land you don't have permission to hunt on?
You're assuming that all road allowances are bordered only by private land?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You're assuming that all road allowances are bordered only by private land?
If the road allowance is bordered by public land, do you not already have access to that land?

They are talking about undeveloped road allowances, so I would assume there is other ways to access public land.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
It would help protect the animals the guides have exclusive access to hunt, on that private property you don't have permission for.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Question

Quote:
Do you hunt upland birds much??
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
It would help protect the animals the guides have exclusive access to hunt, on that private property you don't have permission for.
It would also protect the animals responsible hunters with permission have been given exclusive access to hunt, on that private property you don't have permission for.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Strongly disagree on this one.

Hunting a road allowance between to properties you dont have permission, is plain pathetic and very unsafe.... nothing more disturbing. .. then people wonder why landowners have problems with hunters.

Get permission on one side and hunt it..... but something tells me, if guys did have permission on adjoining properties, they wouldn't hunt on the road allowance. ...
Old 03-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Do you hunt upland birds much??
I do, and unless you are shooting them on the ground it is very likely they would need to be recovered from private land. If you enter private land without permission, you are trespassing.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Rockyview took the lead on this, no surprise and Mountainview just went along for the ride. Rockyview isn't hunter friendly to begin with, all those yuppie acreage owners and such, Mountinview claims its a subterfuge to hunt on the land beside the road allowances and a lot of poaching happens. Pretty tough to discharge even a shot gun on a road allowance without the pellets intruding on private property. Symptom of our times that people are bothered by that..

Grizz
Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I do, and unless you are shooting them on the ground it is very likely they would need to be recovered from private land. If you enter private land without permission, you are trespassing.
Yes you are right on the trespassing.
I quite often see guys pushing ditches or shooting birds from the road. I was one of em until I got my dog. Anyways, getting ready to pour the gas on myself...... Bird hunting without a dog I think shooting them on the ground is means for the highest success rate and by far lower bird loss. Take away shooting on road allowances will remove hunting opportunity from those who dont have dogs or even mobility impaired folks. Back home I always seen alot of older fellas slow cruising looking for birds. Take away the road allowance, those boys would be sitting at home.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There are tons of guys who ground sluice grouse, which certainly is not illegal.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Rockyview took the lead on this, no surprise and Mountainview just went along for the ride. Rockyview isn't hunter friendly to begin with, all those yuppie acreage owners and such, Mountinview claims its a subterfuge to hunt on the land beside the road allowances and a lot of poaching happens. Pretty tough to discharge even a shot gun on a road allowance without the pellets intruding on private property. Symptom of our times that people are bothered by that..

Grizz
yup, thin edge of the wedge. Administration has also considered proposals to restrict the discharge of weapons within potions of the MD with acreage densities above certain levels and on municipal lands. Only a matter of time until even bowhunting opportunities with the MDs surrounding Calgary become more limited. Limited opposition to this proposal will give those with an anti hunting agenda more incentive to push for even greater restrictions.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Yes you are right on the trespassing.
I quite often see guys pushing ditches or shooting birds from the road. I was one of em until I got my dog. Anyways, getting ready to pour the gas on myself...... Bird hunting without a dog I think shooting them on the ground is means for the highest success rate and by far lower bird loss. Take away shooting on road allowances will remove hunting opportunity from those who dont have dogs or even mobility impaired folks. Back home I always seen alot of older fellas slow cruising looking for birds. Take away the road allowance, those boys would be sitting at home.
Hey, I have no problem with anyone ground swatting birds. I understand what you are saying about losing opportunity. It is an unfortunate fact that bad actors spoil it for decent law abiding hunters.

As an aside, if a hunter is hunting a road allowance and downs a flying bird on private land he doesn't have permission to hunt, would sending his dog in to retrieve the bird be a trespass?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
There are tons of guys who ground sluice grouse, which certainly is not illegal.
You are right, and if you could guarantee that ALL guys hunting on road allowances only shot birds sitting on the road allowance there would be no problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Hey, I have no problem with anyone ground swatting birds. I understand what you are saying about losing opportunity. It is an unfortunate fact that bad actors spoil it for decent law abiding hunters.

As an aside, if a hunter is hunting a road allowance and downs a flying bird on private land he doesn't have permission to hunt, would sending his dog in to retrieve the bird be a trespass?
Good question, I think a phone call to the local F&W is in order lol. Ill get back to you with an answer as soon as I get one
Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You are right, and if you could guarantee that ALL guys hunting on road allowances only shot birds sitting on the road allowance there would be no problem.
No such thing as a guarantee. Bad apples wreck it for the rest of us in all aspects of hunting related activities.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Even causing your projectiles to pass onto or over occupied land without permission is an offense. Therefore the hunter doesn't actually have to be on the land to be guilty of an offense.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Like I clearly stated, I am concerned about legislating private control of hunting on public land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Strongly disagree on this one.

Hunting a road allowance between to properties you dont have permission, is plain pathetic and very unsafe.... nothing more disturbing. .. then people wonder why landowners have problems with hunters.

Get permission on one side and hunt it..... but something tells me, if guys did have permission on adjoining properties, they wouldn't hunt on the road allowance. ...
Yah, but your Greek.

I didn't address a concern for "Pathetic and unsafe" hunting practices. These should be addressed through existing regulations. I know, I know....it's hard to spot the redhead at sunset.

If the general public is to be excluded from hunting on these easements, then so should the adjacent landowners. My point is to not set precident for giving private citizens control of hunting priviledges to Public lands.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Road allowance .is..public land. So an adjacent landowner should now have control over something he doesn't own??? HMMM. let me think about this.

So i live on 899 sec hwy. Can I control access to the hwy?

Why is a R.O.W. called an R.O.W.?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Allowing your dog to run at large would likely be the charge if they really wanted to.....IMO.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Road allowance .is..public land. So an adjacent landowner should now have control over something he doesn't own??? HMMM. let me think about this.

So i live on 899 sec hwy. Can I control access to the hwy?

Why is a R.O.W. called an R.O.W.?
Is it legal to discharge a firearm along or off of that highway? I didn't see anything in the article that wanted to restrict access.

It seems like guys want to treat undeveloped road allowances like developed roads when it comes to access but they don't want the same rules as to shooting off of public roads to apply.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
How so? You have permission to hunt public land and the proposal would not apply to the road allowance in that situation.