Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 AM

Default No one wears orange in Alberta?

Hey guys,

Just noticing that I am the only guy out wearing orange, I thought it was law?

I was hunting birds in 406, heard some crashing in the bush and barley saw that it was another hunter wearing Cam, its safe to say that he probably saw me but I was sure it was a bear until he came right out on the road... Orange would have been good. I thought animals were color blind anyway?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

The wearing of Blaze Orange is not required in Alberta and its been quite a few years since it was law.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
The wearing of Blaze Orange is not required in Alberta and its been quite a few years since it was law.
X2

I still wear a blaze toque when moving around, and when done hunting and hiking back to the truck, my pack has an exposed blaze orange flag I pull out.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM

I have some blaze on my upland vest. I never wear any camo for upland. Totally unnecessary and looks stupid (to me). I try to wear camo as little as possible. Camo only for big game and waterfowl. Funny, I'll wear my camo into a store or restaurant in Longview, but not Okotoks. Just seems more acceptable somehow in Longview I'd never wear camo socially. I'll leave that to the kids.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Yes I always wear an orange hat or toque, but not required.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM

I make sure that I have colorful laces
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM

HAHA...love the laces.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM

The blaze orange hat or touque is always on when to and from stand.....other then that if your shooting up a tree at big game well?????

AL
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

When the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, became law, and shortly there after the Alberta Law Makers were of the opinion that the legal requirement of Red or Orange clothing would not be able to withstand a charter challenge.

Therefore it was dropped from the regulations as a legal requirement.

That was back in 1986 or 1987 I believe.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 AM

People are supposed to know what they are shooting at before they shoot. Pointing a firearm at someone is against the law so wear binoculars make a positive ID then go from there. No need for Orange or red or anything just safe law abiding hunters and all is well
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
People are supposed to know what they are shooting at before they shoot. Pointing a firearm at someone is against the law so wear binoculars make a positive ID then go from there. No need for Orange or red or anything just safe law abiding hunters and all is well
You shouldn't need to wear blaze, but we all know not everyone folows the advice you just gave there Donny....

Sort of like you shouldn't need to drive defensively, but you have to take into account the idiots out there on the road.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM
dsbaker89

I carry hunter orange around with me, I wear it when I go out into the foothills, opening day, etc. I tend not to wear it when hunting private land, my theory being there are less hunters!?!?
It gives me peace of mind and it certainly doesn't bother the deer.
I lived in NB for 17 years and that is the law there. I'm not against it, but my Redneck buddy gets quite upset at me for wearing it. So much so that he refused to hunt with me this season (while wearing a hunter orange vest)
Some friend hey?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM

You're not the only one, I wear my orange vest from the time I leave my house 'till the time I get back. An old habit from hunting back east, the rule in Ontario is (or at least was last time I was back) was that 60% of your body had to be covered in regulation orange, and the MNR would carry a card with acceptable shades of orange. Too faded, and you weren't legal. I think the only exception was when you were in a stand during bow season, but even that had restrictions.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Lots of guys got shot wearing blaze orange.

You can't fix stupid.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 PM

The stats speak for themselves.

I can only think of one incident in recent memory when a hunter was shot in Alberta.
And it is questionable if blaze would have changed the outcome of that story.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Just don't go hunting with or near Dick Cheney, that'll really decrease your odds of getting shot.

Waxy
Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Just don't go hunting with or near Dick Cheney, that'll really decrease your odds of getting shot.

Waxy
OK, only two more Cheney references allowed on this board, then we are done, unless you can work a midget, a bunch of bananas, and a golf cart into the joke. Every ounce of originality was drained out of this one long ago...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lots of guys got shot wearing blaze orange.

You can't fix stupid.
x2
Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Always got some orange... cant trust anyone... sad to say but alotta trigger happy idiots out there...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
OK, only two more Cheney references allowed on this board, then we are done, unless you can work a midget, a bunch of bananas, and a golf cart into the joke. Every ounce of originality was drained out of this one long ago...

Waxy
Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 PM
sheephunter

Never wear the stuff unless I'm in Wainright or Onterrible.

Might be time to give the regs a quick going over Fitz...I'm sure there might be a few other things in there you are unaware of. Better safe than sorry!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

alway wear orange, walking or sitting its on my head
g
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Default always

wear my hunter orange jacket while rifle hunting. When bow hunting (been a few years) I wore camo. But that was on private property.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzelferg View Post
Hey guys,

Just noticing that I am the only guy out wearing orange, I thought it was law?

I was hunting birds in 406, heard some crashing in the bush and barley saw that it was another hunter wearing Cam, its safe to say that he probably saw me but I was sure it was a bear until he came right out on the road... Orange would have been good. I thought animals were color blind anyway?

Thanks.
Keep the pilon people in Onterrible (I like that) and keep common sense out here. Look at stuff with bino's first, and then the rifle. And bears don't walk through the woods on two legs. Those are Sasquatches. Where did you find barley in 406?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM

The only time I have been scoped was while wearing orange. One guy scoped me and my buddy and then scoped us again. Both of us had on orange. Now I go in neutral colors or camo. The stupid people have to really look to find me now. Its nice to be able to step off in the bush 5 yards and watch a quad go by and the guy doesn't see you. I do have some orange on my upland vest though.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Default blaze all the time.

I had a incident in the bush North of cawson Creek. I was walking a cut line wearing just a blaze hat. Looked up the cut line and there scoping me was some idzit in camo. He never took the scope off of me until I loaded one in the barrel and brought it up on him. It did not take him long to do an about face and double time back to where he came from. Don't know if he was scared but I had to change my shorts.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
sheephunter

Scoping usually has little to do with misidentification or someone that's going to shoot you and everything to do with people that are too stupid not to point a gun at someone else and too lazy or cheap to buy binos. Blaze orange definitely isn't a deterent.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
When the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, became law, and shortly there after the Alberta Law Makers were of the opinion that the legal requirement of Red or Orange clothing would not be able to withstand a charter challenge.

Therefore it was dropped from the regulations as a legal requirement.

That was back in 1986 or 1987 I believe.

I never heard that theory before.

I believe the AF&GA passed a resolution asking the hunter colours to be dropped because it identified anyone in "red" as a hunter by the non hunting public and thus singled them out.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I thought it was law?
You thought wrong.

Quote:
its safe to say that he probably saw me but I was sure it was a bear until he came right out on the road.
That statement in itself would make my uncomfortable hunting near you.
I take it that you haven't seen many bears,and are unaware of how quiet they can move.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM

I wear orange when hunting upland, simply because there is always a chance of getting shot while someone is out of position on a hunt.
Orange shows up quicker in your peripheral vision.

I don't wear ir when big game hunting.
Cat