Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Kodiak

Default So everybody Now What ??

Just curious, what's everybody who sent a letter of intent plan to do now. I got something in the mail telling me to register right away to avoid last minute problems.............ya right !!!!!!:lol
Will there be more legal ramifications (ie:fraud ?) if a guy doesn't register before the deadline after sending a letter of intent ??
Will the Fed's extend the deadline again ???
Have most people accepted the registration now and are complying ??
I know it's the law and I won't risk my hunting privileges in the long run but I'm hesitant to jump onto the list.

Kod.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:34 PM
I folded

Default I folded

I went online and registered without paying anything. The online form has some fields which MUST be filled in and others that are not a must (some have an * in them and some don't) So I just put in the required info.

Then I got a whole lot of registration certificates. There are 2 that are for a Winchester, Bolt action, Rifle with a 470mm or greater barrel length. Each has its own firearms identification number. Then as I had not supplied them with any serial numbers (not required info*) they sent me a whole bunch of stick-on firearms identification numbers. So I had to flip a coin and decide which winchester to put which stick-on number on.

Now I will photo-copy and laminate all my registeration cards and carry them in my hunting brief case with my PAL and my WIN and all required licences, permits, certificates and documentation. Then if I am ever stopped by a Conservation Officer (I think the province still has at least a few out there after all the downsizing) I believe I will be covered.

Robin
Old 05-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Registering after the fact

Default Registering after the fact

In order not to get in hot water and ruin my professional career as an engineer I registered my guns way back. I got nice credit card size plastic cards for each gun, then got paper copies automatically last year for the same guns. I must admit I've never run into any mistakes or problems although I think the whole system stinks.

I do have a question/problem... is there anyone that registered a previously unregistered gun after Jan 1 and didn't send in a letter of intent? My grandfather didn't register his guns and now he wants to give them to me. I'm wondering if I just go and register them under my name without filling out that transfer form if they would even know? I don't want to get him or me into hot water. Any ideas of how to do this? There must be some loop holes somewhere.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Nope sent my letter of intent,

Default Nope sent my letter of intent,

didn't specify what I intended to register, didn't say I would do it by June 30, just said 'I intend to register'
am waiting now to see this challenged in the courts.. there's tons of un-registered guns out there, what are the odds mine will be the first test of this case, for crying out loud there's people going into the RCMP and asking to be charged under this legislation and the RCMP are not complying, nope I would suspect your odds of getting struck by lightning are better!

Just my 2 cents!

Crusty