Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
mine and the wifes MN bears.

Good work, husband/wife doing putting predators down. Awesome!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 PM

My 2015 bull with archery gear. Was still rutting and came right in on a string.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Default 2015 Archery Elk

Decided to fill the freezer this year. Had some great nights in the stand this fall so far.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Default Another Bow Zone Bull

Connected on this guy last night at 7:15. Came in hard to cow calls and I hit him at 43 yards. Arrow disappeared but I thought the shot was a little far back and high as he took a step as I released. Initially I thought I was going to have a long tracking job, but about 2 seconds after he disappeared into the tree line I heard the sweet sound of "CRASH"; He barely went 100 yards. Grim Reaper broadheads.... I am a believer.

Recovery was relatively easy and a big thanks goes out to my neighbor Ron for helping me pull him out. I just dropped the 1/4's off a Grassy Lane Meats in New Sarepta and should have my meat back in 10 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07154.jpg (87.4 KB, 460 views)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Connected on this guy last night at 7:15. Came in hard to cow calls and I hit him at 43 yards. Arrow disappeared but I thought the shot was a little far back and high as he took a step as I released. Initially I thought I was going to have a long tracking job, but about 2 seconds after he disappeared into the tree line I heard the sweet sound of "CRASH"; He barely went 100 yards. Grim Reaper broadheads.... I am a believer.

Recovery was relatively easy and a big thanks goes out to my neighbor Ron for helping me pull him out. I just dropped the 1/4's off a Grassy Lane Meats in New Sarepta and should have my meat back in 10 days.
Congrats man!...I knew I wouldn't lead you astray with a suggestion to try them

Glad to see some folks are having luck with moose in the bowzone...our spot has been dead quiet, for about 14 days now! Only seen one moose and had one on camera....prior to that 5 different Bulls on cam....where do they go??!!

LC
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
.our spot has been dead quiet, for about 14 days now! Only seen one moose and had one on camera....prior to that 5 different Bulls on cam....where do they go??!!

LC
they traveled to everyone else's calls and now they're on this forum. Dead quiet
Old 10-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Decided to fill the freezer this year. Had some great nights in the stand this fall so far.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice elk.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Congrats man!...I knew I wouldn't lead you astray with a suggestion to try them

Glad to see some folks are having luck with moose in the bowzone...our spot has been dead quiet, for about 14 days now! Only seen one moose and had one on camera....prior to that 5 different Bulls on cam....where do they go??!!

LC
He was the 1st moose I've seen in months. My neighbor is after a Monster he catches on camera every 10 days or so. Hopefully they are going to start moving hard and stupid like very soon
Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Default 2015 Season

Man you guys are really putting down the elk and moose this year!

Congratulations to you all, don't know yet if it's just a "good year" with
animal populations or a coming together with archers helping archers but
either way it's a good thing for sure.

Wish I was there.

To have so many successful (clean) kills and so few not with bow is really
saying something good.

And many are large racked and heavy animals as well.

Thank you all for taking the time to post your stories on how it happened.
For me it's the next best thing to being there.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 10-07-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

First ever bow kill for me.
This is my second year bow hunting and I have been practicing almost every night and my maximum range for this year was 40 yards.
I had been spending quite a bit of time in the stands with no luck with the moose. I decided to go buy a single person ladder stand and hang it in the area with good moose sign and where they always seem to want to cross over from the neighbouring property.

I walked out to the stand at about 4:45 yesterday and as soon as I turned the corner into the willows I bumped a whitetail at 30 yards. It wasn't the normal route that I would walk in so I was kicking myself that it may well be a busted night for me. I continued on to the stand walking with purpose now as there was no point in being silent as possible anymore. I made it to the stand and climbed in. I then secured two hooks as I had yet to do that, one for my bow and one for my pack.

I then realized that I didn't have my harness on and laughed to myself about that so I quickly donned the harness and settled in.

I started to call about 5:20 and sat tight. I was getting antsy around 6pm as I get easily bored so in between calls, I was playing on my phone and not paying much attention. To the east is a nice swampy area and to the west is thick willows. I thought I had spotted a dark patch earlier in the swamps, but upon pulling out the binoculars it proved to be nothing.

I sat till 6:20 as I remember timing it to do my next set of calls and after I had finished I thought I heard something in the willows and focused my attention that way. I spent a few minutes being silent and still. When I looked back to the East to the swamp I was shocked to see a bull staring my way from about 200 yards away. He was silent as he moved North for a bit then turned West towards me. I got my bow down and an arrow nocked and started the waiting game. At about 100 yards he cut away from me and disappeared behind the willows between us. I almost grabbed my birch cone to let out a call, but then remembered all that I had read about being silent when one is coming in. I sat tight for what felt like an eternity. A few moments later I hear a twig snap and it is headed my way, but I still cannot see what it is.

The bull eventually presents itself on the other side of the fence at 40 yards. It made its way back towards me along the fence line and when it got exactly parallel to me it stopped looking around. I sat still as it surveyed the situation. In one sudden motion it cleared the barbed wire fence and made its way to within 20 yards. No shot was possible as the angle was off and there was poplars in the way. After a slight pause the bull made its way directly out in front of me and paused with a tree in the way, I waited and when it stepped forward I went to full draw. It stepped into a lane that I had cleared and presented me with a broadside shot at 10-12 yards. I was at full draw and was waiting for it to step forward to the next shooting lane and actually remember telling myself what in the f*** are you waiting for. I don't remember getting my anchors and my peep in sight but as that silly thought ran through my head I released. It was a hard hit and the bull took off straight into the thick willows.

HOLY SH**. What an adrenaline rush. I sent a text to my wife to tell her what had happened and then to a few select friends who would be as excited as I was.
I heard the bull moving about in the bush and then a crash and heard him trying to blow out his lungs.

I waited till help arrived and the first thing I found was the broad head part of my arrow which had snapped in two. I found the rest of the arrow covered in blood 15 yards later. 10 minutes later we found the bull down.

My friends all offered to help but myself and my hunting mentor sorted out the rest of the heavy lifting. The bull was to the butchers by 12:30 last night.

Dropped the head off for a Euro mount todayand we measured the paddles at 40 1/2 inches.

Thanks Lefty for the tip on the Grim Reapers. Shattered a rib on the way in and punched through the other side.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 AM

Good stuff! Congrats on your first of many. Sounds like a picture perfect moose hunt. Looks like you hit him right where it needed to be.

LC
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 AM

nice bull... i'm getting jealous
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

11 years to get drawn for Moose. 15 minutes on my first day out and I was finished. Would like to have hunted longer, for more of the full Moose hunting experience, but I wasn't about to pass him up. A little over 20 yard shot, 50 yard recovery. Not complaining at all, just surprised it was over so fast. A little over 48" wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9304711.jpg (104.9 KB, 488 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
11 years to get drawn for Moose. 15 minutes on my first day out and I was finished. Would like to have hunted longer, for more of the full Moose hunting experience, but I wasn't about to pass him up. A little over 20 yard shot, 50 yard recovery. Not complaining at all, just surprised it was over so fast. A little over 48" wide.
I wouldn't have passed on him with archery gear either, nice bull and congrats!!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Heres a couple critters I got on monday and tuesday this past week.. Was a busy couple days ..

s1282.photobucket.com/user/easton57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-21-19-42-43_zps711ts515.png.html][/URL]

s1282.photobucket.com/user/easton57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG-20150923-WA0025_zpsmmi6c67o.jpg.html][/URL]

WOW!! Heck of a couple days! Congrats!

I think that bull elk is my favorite one that I've seen so far!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM

that's pretty much a wrap for my bowtech.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 PM

That is a STUDDD!!! Congrats NBFK !!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Awesome buck. You've had a great season!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM

Great animals to all the successfulls.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post

Awesome buck! Did you manage to get it on film??
Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Haven't videoed a hunt in a while. Might start again. He would of been easy to self film he funnelled out of some willows and walked up on the hill in an alfalfa field at 27 yards like he read the script. With a new baby due anyday my hunting season had limited time. Glad to arrow a couple animals with very limited time to scout and hunt.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post

What an awesome buck!! Congratulations!!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Bump
Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM

Little meat bull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151013_123551.jpg (33.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM

Nice!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 AM

Was lucky enough to get pics of the bear the day before and he came in the next day same time. Died in a swamp doing the pic of the bear no justice. His skull went 19 1/8th.

Had 2 days to elk hunt was lucky enough to find this tasty meat bull on the morning of the second day. Check out the entrance hole. 100gr Xecutioner put the hurt on him. Needless to say short recovery.

Had a fella tell me he had 500 buffalo on 13000 acres. I said one day I would like to get one with the bow. He says if you can find one and get close enough to get him with the bow you can have one. Following night I had a 1900lb bison on the ground. Ended up getting 949lbs meat off him. Incredible meat. Needless to say I got winters meat.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Wow Bit, just wow. These are usually someone's lifetime achievement pics. Not one season. Way to go.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Wow Bit, just wow. These are usually someone's lifetime achievement pics. Not one season. Way to go.

X2
Great shootin! Executioner put a small entry eh? Holy
Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up October 17th Buck

Second night sitting in a new spot and I anchored this guy, honestly I was a bit disappointed for two reasons, hit him a bit far back and could have made a better shot(for you target guys it was a line biter 8) also because the first night there was a bigger deer in the field and I mistook this guy for him. Not too disapointed though, still a P&Y deer, 15 yard shot and 60 yard recovery. my second P&Y buck. Congrats to all the other successful hunters here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1189.JPG (106.9 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.JPG (151.6 KB, 301 views)
Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 PM

That's a great buck! Congrats