Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Default New to shooting in AB

Since I am done sledding for the season with a broken leg I figured I would get back on track with wanting to get my Res and Non-Res PAL and wanted to learn more about shooting on Crown land in AB.

I grew up out East and have had many rifles and shotguns through out the years but they all remained in the East when I moved away a dozen years ago. We were fortunate that we could walk down the path behind our house and target shoot all day. Walk a little further and we could hunt anything that was in season.

It doesn't look like I will get back into hunting but I want to get back into shooting. I have been visiting the Calgary ranges with a friend who has numerous handguns over the past year and figured I would pick up something nice for the range once I have my PAL, but also wanted to pick up a long gun or two for some target shooting.

I have seen guys shooting down around RaceHorse, or up in Waiporus when out biking and they said you can shoot on any Crown land at any time of the season. I haven't been able to find any documentation of that. Upon some searching on here I see there are some maps people mention but right now I am looking for some general information. Keep in mind, I am bored out of my mind at the moment, on pain killers and just starting my search for information.

If someone wants to make other suggestions for what to start out with thats fine too, I do wish to have likely a bolt action and a semi-auto rifles in the same caliber that I can change the stocks and such on, or tactical style. Not into the larger caliber stuff yet and want to stay with center fire.

thanks for any suggestions
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM

It's true, you can shoot anywhere on crown land at any time of the year. Just have to make sure that you are actually on crown land, and not in a park where you can't shoot. As always situational awareness is key. Having a good backstop and picking up after yourself also top the list. Welcome to Alberta!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Yes I agree cleaning up after one's self is important. Nothing worse than seeing a pile of clay along the side of the road. Even if it is clay and will break down over time, I think it looks bad to the general public. Same goes with spent rounds.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM

While its true that you can shoot at most crown land, don't accept a blanket statement that you can shoot on any crown land as completely true. Crown land that is leased comes to mind, and I would also recommend caution in some of the areas that are popular with other outdoor users such as hikers, horseback riders, etc. While you might be in the right, if you're shooting in crowded areas, you might expect a visit from the local police.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks Scott, I understand there is a lot of agricultural land around AB which is leased crown land. This area is new to me and obviously I would have to ensure the area I wanted to make use of is suitable.

I am not looking for areas that certain reckless individuals may party at and run around blasting tv's and propane tanks. I have read all the negative posts about public ranges like Sibbald and want to be able to go out and target shoot on a weekend here and there without any negative impact.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

I would like to also know of places close to Calgary/Airdrie . Anything south of Bragg creek priddis ? what about in the foothills/woods west of Didsbury /Carstairs ? We have gone to Sibbalds 1 time and won't go back.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendofacatahoula View Post
I have seen guys shooting down around RaceHorse, or up in Waiporus when out biking and they said you can shoot on any Crown land at any time of the season. I haven't been able to find any documentation of that. Upon some searching on here I see there are some maps people mention but right now I am looking for some general information.

I would love to view these maps as well. Searched google but can't quite find anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

If you go to the MD or County office, they sell maps which show deeded, leased and crown land. I believe that the cost $15.00 or $20.00 range.