Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Default ziess conquest , swarovski

if read a few helpfull things on here about scopes , not that im a dummy when it comes to knowing what i want , but i also havent owned one of everything , which also means i dont have experience with everything ,

anyway , was thinking about snaggin a ziess conquest 4 by 14 by 50 .
then saw the new ziess conquest hd5 , little sweeter , has ziess victory lenses ,along with a couple sweet upgrades , so i checked out the price on the new HD5 , and can only find usa sites , and there around a grand .
so now that will be somewhere in the 13\1400$ range , and being at that price range , i decided to look at the swarovski line up .

so , is swarovski worth the extra coin ? ,
and does anyone know the correct price for the new ziess hd5 , in canadian currency ?

which swarovski is equilivant to the ziess conquest , if any ?
thanks , appreaciate the feed back .
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM

I'm a Swaro guy so to me it's worth it.

Z-3 is gonna run you $1000,

Z-5 is gonna be $1500

Z-6 is $2000+ a bit
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Check Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with BT and 4W reticle. 1500-1650

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc

Got one from plainSight Solutions from CGN.

Last season this scope started life on 300 Win Mag taking bull elk
than was transferred to 30-06 after resetting turret to 30-06 ballistics
and got few WT furthest 500 y after dialing turret in.

I have 3 Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (500 range) and those are very good for hunting
I've tried "Christmas tree" reticles and I don't like them, you need to have them on certain magnification to work. BT works on any magnification unless you are doping wind than need to be on 18 power.
But if you shooting let say 300 y you set turret to 300 and POI is set for all magnifications from 3.5-18.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Any Swaro scope is in a different league from a Zeiss Conquest IMO. The Conquest is sort of Zeiss' "budget line" and doesn't have quite as nice optics as their more expensive siblings.

Is it worth the extra? Only you can decide that for yourself but IMO the extra cost is justifiable. Take a couple for a test spin in some outdoor light if you can. You should be able to see the difference.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Precisionshooter

Swarovski's best optics are on the Z6 - 30mm tubes. You have to be okay with metric adjustments or .18" clicks. The Diavari Victory from Zeiss would be competitive although I have not done any direct comparisons due to timing.

The Z5 I does not carry the same optical performance of the Z6.

I haven't compared the Z5 to the conquest line.

I would think some comparables would come from the Kahles / Z5 and Zeiss conquest line. Power ranges, field of view, reticle style, side focus, size and turret adjustability will make the differences for the individual shooter.

We have so many choices....
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Gone Hunting

I did not look through Z6 but they are offered now in BT turret and
4W iluminated reticle.
I think this itself prooves that Balistic Turret and 4W reticle is a winner

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Precisionshooter

I should make a small correction. The Z6 scopes are either .36" or .18" (higher mag models). I suspect the lower powered range will be different again.

Looking at some varmint scopes currently.. Z5 5-25x52BT 4W .25"clicks and/or Kahles K10503, 6-24x56 with FCH 1/8" clicks.

If anyone has compared the two I am all ears.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM

I have 2 swarovski z-5 5-25x52 one with fine cross hairs for p-dog shooting and one with the bt 4w reticle. By far i like them more then my zeiss. A little more money but worth it.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM

If you want to compare equivalent scopes, look at the Zeiss Diavari product line. The Conquest stuff is not as good.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
I have 2 swarovski z-5 5-25x52 one with fine cross hairs for p-dog shooting and one with the bt 4w reticle. By far i like them more then my zeiss. A little more money but worth it.
Did you find the 4W @ .11" @ 100 yards to be too heavy? I would have thought it would be fine. If the BT was offered in the FCH, I'd go that route but I liked the 4w better then the other options.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

I have a Swarvo Z6 1.5x10 x42. It has a very fine cross hair. In low light last yr it cost me a big buck. I'd watch the real fine hairs for low light actually I am looking at a lite recticle.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM

I have several Conquests, but my go to hunting rifle wears a Z5 3.5-18X44 with the BRH reticle. I have another 7mmstw on the way, and it too will wear a Z5 3.5-18x44BRH.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

hey thanks very much for the input , it seems alot of people buy a high end scope , but only get a 42 or 44 mm objective lens .......
why is that ? do the new scopes offer as much light gathering abilitys in a smaller objective lens ? or are they good enough that guys dont pay the extra for a 50mm ?
i hunt cutlines , and i stay out till dark , last season i missed out on taking a shot at huge whitetail , because of cheap scope , (BL Elite)
so i guess im wondering , if i buy new swarovski , will the 44mm be just as good as a 50mm ? i cant see how it would be , but gotta ask , because i dont know why so many are buying anything but a 50mm for hunting ........

would really like to know why ?
thankz in advance .
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM

holy s#%t that goat video is sweet !!
wow does it get hammered !!
the shock when it gets hit , whoa !
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
hey thanks very much for the input , it seems alot of people buy a high end scope , but only get a 42 or 44 mm objective lens .......
why is that ? do the new scopes offer as much light gathering abilitys in a smaller objective lens ? or are they good enough that guys dont pay the extra for a 50mm ?
i hunt cutlines , and i stay out till dark , last season i missed out on taking a shot at huge whitetail , because of cheap scope , (BL Elite)
so i guess im wondering , if i buy new swarovski , will the 44mm be just as good as a 50mm ? i cant see how it would be , but gotta ask , because i dont know why so many are buying anything but a 50mm for hunting ........

thankz in advance .
Why? Because a premium 42mm or 44mm lens, with high quality lens coatings will transmit as much or more light than a lower quality 50mm lens, and it will be lighter, and can be mounted lower.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Be sure to have a good look and see which glass looks best to your eye just cause it says swarovski doesnt mean your gonna like it the best everybody is different I personally am not a huge fan Ive never tried the riflescopes but both binos and spotting scope I used I honestly didnt like I may get jumped on for that but I didnt find them at all worth the money.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Why? Because a premium 42mm or 44mm lens, with high quality lens coatings will transmit as much or more light than a lower quality 50mm lens, and it will be lighter, and can be mounted lower.
hello , yes no doubt a premium scope will be better than a piece of junk , what i was wondering was , will a premium scope with 44mm objective transmit as much light as the exact same scope , but with a 50mm lens ?
i think i know the answer , but was just thinking there might be something im missing ........
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
hello , yes no doubt a premium scope will be better than a piece of junk , what i was wondering was , will a premium scope with 44mm objective transmit as much light as the exact same scope , but with a 50mm lens ?
i think i know the answer , but was just thinking there might be something im missing ....
The simple fact is that a higher end scope with a 42mm or 44mm lens, and premium coatings, transmits enough light to be used during our legal hunting hours, without having to resort to a heavier scope that must be mounted higher.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Water View Post

thankz in advance .

the swarovski with a 44mm will being in light better then a 50 or 56 bushnell
but a 50mm swarovski will bring in more then the 44mm swarovski
I have never heard anyone say i really wish i did buy a good scope

i use a Z5 3.5x18x44mm BHX
there great scopes and weigh about 1 pound
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Check Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with BT and 4W reticle. 1500-1650

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc

Got one from plainSight Solutions from CGN.

Last season this scope started life on 300 Win Mag taking bull elk
than was transferred to 30-06 after resetting turret to 30-06 ballistics
and got few WT furthest 500 y after dialing turret in.

I have 3 Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (500 range) and those are very good for hunting
I've tried "Christmas tree" reticles and I don't like them, you need to have them on certain magnification to work. BT works on any magnification unless you are doping wind than need to be on 18 power.
But if you shooting let say 300 y you set turret to 300 and POI is set for all magnifications from 3.5-18.
Awesome!!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Hey precisionshooter i find the lines on the 4 w to work very well not too heavy, one of the reasons i went with the swarovski.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Nightforce

Speaking of scopes, I had the chance to glance thru a couple of Nightforce models yesterday @ Prophet River in Lloydminster. Does anyone have any suggestions on what model, reticle would be the best for hunting and target shooting? 5-22 power.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
Speaking of scopes, I had the chance to glance thru a couple of Nightforce models yesterday @ Prophet River in Lloydminster. Does anyone have any suggestions on what model, reticle would be the best for hunting and target shooting? 5-22 power.
5 x 22 would be what i would pick
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Nightforce reticle

I have the NP-R2 (2MOA) illuminated on my 5.5 x 22. It works well in low light without illumination. In very low light just make sure the illumination is adjusted to the lowest possible intensity otherwise it obliterates the target.