Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I just bought the rifle and actually haven't even shot it yet, but being a smaller framed guy i thought maybe i should just go ahead and put a brake on it right away, but maybe i'm just being to concerned! lol
Size has nothing to do with it... my wife shoots my 375 H&H and my 300 Wby.... neither has brake nor a recoil pad.... and she is not a big woman.

Honestly the recoil from 300 Wby is just a nudge worse than say a 30-06.

I'd try it out before you do anything else.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I love a brake on my rifle.

Some of the best memories of hunting for me are impacts and I will never forget them. They are priceless to me. I don't need someone to call my shots and I know what is happening during that 5 seconds of "where is he and what happened".

I ain't a big guy at 6' and 180#'s but I'm not "recoil sensitive". I just don't wanna take a pounding when I don't have to.

I'm a wuss around here tho.....definately in the minority.
I don't think you're a wuss. It just isn't for me. I hate the fact that I'd have to sit on a cutline all day wearing muffs or plugs.
I couldn't imagine the db ratings of the sound hitting the canopy above and the bush to the sides coming right back at me. It's bad enough when the vast majority of "noise", for lack of a better term, is going straight away from me.

I am starting to lean towards smaller cartridges though as I love the impacts also. The 7mm08 allowed me to see a few different bullets hit.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 AM

I believe that alot of shooters think that the recoil will be bad from reading articles online or in magazines and then go to shoot their new "magnum" with the expectations of having their teeth rattled or hat blown off, thus creating a flinch before they even shoot it or felt the actual recoil for the first time. And i also think that the noise is a bigger factor in a flinch than the felt recoil.
Take the gun out wear double hearing protection shot from a comfortable position and you will be fine. Don't believe the recoil hype behind 30 cal magnum's or cartridges that end in Weatherby. JMO.
Good luck with the new rifle.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
As most hunters have shot them, or own one, if you are comfortable with shooting 3" 12 ga out of an O/U or a pump, you should be fine with the 7mm, 300 or 338 mags in the standard actions. Bit of a qualifier to that, is stock design and rifle weight. Even a light gun, that is stocked properly, is nice to shoot. A light gun that isn't properly stocked, or a standard weight gun with the wrong stock, can be a pig, even with a good pad on it. If you can't handle it without the brake, you likely need to restock it to fit you, too short or too much drop at the heel causes pain, especially on a bench.
A decent pad should be all you need, with the right stock.
I think you are on to something there. I have a 375 that kicks the crop out of me, the rifle weighs 8 lbs and the stock is to short and doesn't fit me well. I have a 10 1/2 lb rifle in 458 and the recoil is like a 12 gauge mag, a big shove.

Shoot your new rifle, put a pad on it if you like. If it's a bit rude, add weight to it. I am loseing my hearing in my left ear, I will never own a rifle with a muzzle brake, I will not hunt with someone useing a muzzle brake.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I believe that alot of shooters think that the recoil will be bad from reading articles online or in magazines and then go to shoot their new "magnum" with the expectations of having their teeth rattled or hat blown off, thus creating a flinch before they even shoot it or felt the actual recoil for the first time. And i also think that the noise is a bigger factor in a flinch than the felt recoil.
Take the gun out wear double hearing protection shot from a comfortable position and you will be fine. Don't believe the recoil hype behind 30 cal magnum's or cartridges that end in Weatherby. JMO.
Good luck with the new rifle.
I agree that is where I'm getting my impression of how it's going to be recoil wise. On Tuesday I'll pick up a box of shells and just see how it is.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I know who that was I think

That rifle came the way it was with the KDF....Dad never bothered to have it removed, I hated shooting near him

LC
I disliked the puff of gas hitting my face, the kdf ended up as a paper weight. It is going to get removed at some point down the road. Nice rifle otherwise.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I agree that is where I'm getting my impression of how it's going to be recoil wise. On Tuesday I'll pick up a box of shells and just see how it is.

Good for you. Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Good for you. Have fun and good luck.
I'll be shooting it without a scope for now, but I'll post my results after I shoot.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM

The disadvantages of the muzzle break is that they are really loud and you should always wear glasses anytime shooting one. They are not pleasant to be beside a person shooting one either. The plus side is they do make a big difference in recoil. My only experience with one was a screw on brake that one could screw off for hunting with. The problem with it is that the point of impact between the two was about 4 inches at 100 yards. One thing not mentioned here and may be an option for you is the Caldwell lead slead. It works amazing for taming recoil when shooting off the bench.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
One thing not mentioned here and may be an option for you is the Caldwell lead slead. It works amazing for taming recoil when shooting off the bench.
And you do want to be careful when using a lead sled, or you can damage a rifle stock. I have personally seen two stocks cracked by being used in lead sleds, that were loaded up with weight to reduce recoil. Also some rifles will shoot to a different point of impact when you prevent them from recoiling normally.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Sell it before you get a brake. People will despise you at the range and look at you like you are a clown.

I don't hate the people who have muzzle brakes. I just hate shooting near a person with a muzzle brake. Really hate it.

I cringe even thinking about it.

Brakes for a dangerous game rifle? I get it. Brake for a .300 Wby? I just don't get it.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

After reading everybody's opinions on brakes, I've definitely decided not to invest in one of them. I'll stick with a different recoil pad.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM

You said your not a very big guy, neither am I and I have never had a problem with recoil. Us smaller framed guys seem to roll with the recoil rather than stop it. My 300 ultra is ***** cat to me. My buddy that 280lbs thinks its god awful. You might be surprised how easy the recoil is on you.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM

When someone is asking about a big recoil pad AND a brake on a 300 Wtby I think a 30-06 is in order. Figure out how far you might shoot in the field. It might be 400 yards....not much difference in trajectory between the two until you get further out.
Or, to put it another way,...the difference in trajectory out to 400 yards is probably less than your ability to hold on target from a field position.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
It seems to be a toss up between the limbsaver and the decelerator recoil pads. Is it just cause 1 guy bought the one and the other guy the other? No pro's or con's on the 2?
The decelerator is by far the better pad.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Love my Limbsaver, don't think you could go wrong with a decelarator either.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Sell it before you get a brake. People will despise you at the range and look at you like you are a clown.

I don't hate the people who have muzzle brakes. I just hate shooting near a person with a muzzle brake. Really hate it.

I cringe even thinking about it.

Brakes for a dangerous game rifle? I get it. Brake for a .300 Wby? I just don't get it.
Shooting beside someone with a brake is annoying, even with proper hearing protection. Good choice on going without one. No need to wreck a perfectly good rifle!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Precisionshooter

Brakes have their place for multiple reasons. All of the magnums will benefit the users if equipped with a muzzle brake. If you are planning on multiple shoots or shooting all day your downrange performance will not change unlike those people without a brake.

There are many people who have experienced eye injuries; I.E. retinal detachment (over time) which is not uncommon from the big boomers, especially on ultra lights.

Nothing is free!

Shooters should be using eye protection and hearing protection at all times anyway.

Ranges or shooters with brakes might consider improving their facility with sound baffling between benches.

Being able to see a hit or miss (with the use of brake) is a useful observation. Without a brake you loose information and may need a spotter which slows the shooting process.

Brakes with slight forward direction of blast are a bit more range friendly but are not as effective.

Even my 17/222 Sako single shot A1 with McMillan sporter stock and fluted light weight sporter barrel even sports one - simple 360 degree discharge brake.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
After reading everybody's opinions on brakes, I've definitely decided not to invest in one of them. I'll stick with a different recoil pad.
Good decision!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Brakes have their place for multiple reasons. All of the magnums will benefit the users if equipped with a muzzle brake. If you are planning on multiple shoots or shooting all day your downrange performance will not change unlike those people without a brake.

Being able to see a hit or miss (with the use of brake) is a useful observation. Without a brake you loose information and may need a spotter which slows the shooting process.
X2

i use a brake,
i can handle a lot of felt recoil, but why?
i would rather touch off a round, and have the gun stay still then jump around
and then try to get back on target ...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
You said your not a very big guy, neither am I and I have never had a problem with recoil. Us smaller framed guys seem to roll with the recoil rather than stop it. My 300 ultra is ***** cat to me. My buddy that 280lbs thinks its god awful. You might be surprised how easy the recoil is on you.
This is true imo as well. Recoil is gonna happen so just roll with it and don't try and fight it. I have a 340 wby that has a removeable brake. I leave it on to sight the rifle in, and then remove it to hunt with. The POI is the same. It also came with a Decelarator pad and is not that bad in the recoil dept. As i said earlier i just let the recoil happen; i am 5'9" and 185. If you still find the recoil unmanagable then and you've always wanted a 300 wby then brake it; but if you can live without one then go down in cal size. In the end it's your choice and everyone else will just have to deal with it either in the field or on the range.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've owned both and quite frankly the limbs aver is a piece of crap. It looks bad, feels bad, wears bad, and shoulders bad.
Not hard to tell what WSS has in stock is it.

To the OP have a look at SC100 Decelerator or kick Eez Rocker.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM

I put my brake on, its made me a better shooter. I now can shoot 50rnds plus a day and then next day with out bruises, allowing me to actually shoot from hunting positions, varing loads etc. rather then from the bench with a vice etc.

Can I handle my rifle yup, do I have too man up nope. Rifle value to me priceless....... to whom ever owns it after I'm done with it ......not so sure I care.

I'm respectfull at the range with others, most or only there for 1 to 5 shots just before hunting anyway.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM

So I picked up a Limbsaver recoil pad from WSS yesterday to put on after I had taken a few shots with the stock pad. And then this afternoon I just finished taking 3 shots with the stock pad, and was pleasantly surprised actually with how little recoil there was with the stock pad I think I'll be taking the Limbsaver back and just leaving the original one on.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
So I picked up a Limbsaver recoil pad from WSS yesterday to put on after I had taken a few shots with the stock pad. And then this afternoon I just finished taking 3 shots with the stock pad, and was pleasantly surprised actually with how little recoil there was with the stock pad I think I'll be taking the Limbsaver back and just leaving the original one on.
DOH....all this for nothin

LC
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Precisionshooter

You can make almost any large chambering comfortable to shoot. The issue then becomes is the load giving you what you want. Light loads have little recoil but performance someone more suitable to a smaller cartridge so the question becomes why have an inefficent cartridge for that use... I.E. maybe the 30-06 would be more suitable. It also has less case thrust since the case is lighter.

Ramping the load up and bullet quickly results in some nasty recoil. 220 or 240 gr bullets if you can stablize the bullet under near maximum loads sure will drive you! As you well know body position at the bench is fairly important. Leaning into the rifle due to a low bench tends to make shooting uncomfortable with a heavy load. A more vertical position at the bench allows the recoil to drive you straight back with little to no spinal compression since you aren't leaning forward into the rifle at the bench. The push results in more of a pivot at the hips (or seat of your butt) and you are able to dissipate the recoil energy with those strong abdominal muscles... (wish I had some).

Laying prone also requires some special positioning to reduce felt recoil. Wrong position you will experience some signifcant thrust, and possibly that "MAGNUM" eyebrow which with a brake, isn't all that common...lol.

Keep'em small!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

If its a MarkV it comes with a decelerater pad
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
DOH....all this for nothin

LC
Lol I know right

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
If its a MarkV it comes with a decelerater pad
It's a Vanguard.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear that everything is workin out for ya. If/when you decide to put a scope on it, i would strongly suggest looking at one with alot of eye relief. I have a Leupold VX3 on mine and so far ive had no problems; i think the relief is around 4" or so, even on its highest magnification.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I have had the same experience with an old ruger all weather stainless in 7 mag. It kicked. A very unpleasant rifle to shoot. I think ruger made the recoil pad on that rifle out of old truck tires.
Buddy, I had the same old boat paddle in 7mm Rem. Kicked like an angry, angry mule. About the only good thing I can say about that thing is that it prepared me to shoot a .500 A Square a guy had at the range one day.

I used to think my molars were going to fall out at the range when I had that gun.

Sold it to a Hutterite in Manitoba