Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Best recoil pad and muzzle brake for 300 Weatherby Mag?

I just picked up a new 300 Weatherby Magnum yesterday and am wanting to change out the stock recoil pad right away, as well put on a possible muzzle brake, and just wanting to know the 2 best ones to get?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Throw a limbsaver on there and forget about the muzzle brake!
Cat
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Save your hearing and skip the brake, go with a limbsaver, or a decellerator.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

^^^^ all of the above.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM

Sell the rifle
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Pad: Decelerator
Brake: Vais
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Wow, got your fr coveralls on . Asking about a brake on here....
See you already got the sell it comment.

Limbsaver here very soft
I love my kdf and if your not wearing hearing protection you'll damage your hearing brake or not period.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Wow, got your fr coveralls on . Asking about a brake on here....
See you already got the sell it comment.

Limbsaver here very soft
I love my kdf and if your not wearing hearing protection you'll damage your hearing brake or not period.
Nothing wrong with suggesting to not use a brake, the OP was asking for opinions. I do agree with you on the "sell the rifle" comment though.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 AM

I have a limbsaver on mine. Never have been inclined to put a brake on. Never had a need.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM

limbsaver

one thing to think about with brakes, if you will be shooting prone with it, a normal brake will kick up dirt and dust and dirty up your scope...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (21.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM

I don't have a recoil pad on mine or a break....but the rifle fits me well and I have never had the need to alter it to fit me better.

I agree with those that stated to get a good recoil pad first....I personally would sell the rifle before I put a break on it.

LC
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Decellerator pad. The alternative would be a Limbsaver pad. A good substitute for a Limbsaver would be a piece of warm bubble gum (I don't like Limbsavers).
As for a muzzle break, it doesn't matter. Get one you find to be less ugly than the others. Leeper
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
limbsaver

one thing to think about with brakes, if you will be shooting prone with it, a normal brake will kick up dirt and dust and dirty up your scope...
Mine is similar to your pic with the exception of the cuts closet to the breach actually face toward the target which combats the dust kick
Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I just bought the rifle and actually haven't even shot it yet, but being a smaller framed guy i thought maybe i should just go ahead and put a brake on it right away, but maybe i'm just being to concerned! lol
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM

I don't think a brake is worth it. Personal opinion is all.

A lot of smaller framed guys handle recoil as good as bigger guys. I am a big guy and when the recoil starts, unfortunately my body mass stops most of it. Hence I "suck it up". Some of the smaller guys I have seen shooting actually roll with it really well. They may get thrown around a little more but at least you are moving with it instead of eating every foot pound of it.

While the 300 "B" isn't a lightweight, it is far from a heavyweight. Blast a few rounds and see how it feels.

My vote is also for the Decelerator pad like Leeper advised.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I just bought the rifle and actually haven't even shot it yet, but being a smaller framed guy i thought maybe i should just go ahead and put a brake on it right away, but maybe i'm just being to concerned! lol
IMHO you would desrease the rifle in value and desirability 20-30% by adding a break....if you were overly concerned about how the rifle is going to feel you should have looked at a different cartridge perhaps? Like a 30-06 or 300wm.

Shoot it first and see if you can take it as is....if not I think you just bought too much gun for yourself.

Are you a new shooter? What other rifles/calibers a do you own?

LC
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM

I've seen couple guys who were more recoil sensitive practice with the brake and then hunt without it. I would try it first to see if the recoil is to much or not before braking it and if it is you could go that route. A good recoil pad does make a big difference. I think I have a pachmeyer on my .300 but the letters are worn off. A premium pad anyway, takes a good chunk of the kick out.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I've seen couple guys who were more recoil sensitive practice with the brake and then hunt without it. I would try it first to see if the recoil is to much or not before braking it and if it is you could go that route. A good recoil pad does make a big difference. I think I have a pachmeyer on my .300 but the letters are worn off. A premium pad anyway, takes a good chunk of the kick out.
Honestly the first rifle I ever owned was a Savage 30-06....it did not fit me very well and I had a pachmeyer pad put on it....that rifle had a real snappy recoil. I have since sold it and have owned 300WM and 300wby rifles that I found to have less felt recoil...

LC
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Honestly the first rifle I ever owned was a Savage 30-06....it did not fit me very well and I had a pachmeyer pad put on it....that rifle had a real snappy recoil. I have since sold it and have owned 300WM and 300wby rifles that I found to have less felt recoil...

LC
I have had the same experience with an old ruger all weather stainless in 7 mag. It kicked. A very unpleasant rifle to shoot. I think ruger made the recoil pad on that rifle out of old truck tires.

Last edited by bdub; 02-17-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM

I've got a 300 Wby and I wouldn't brake mine. About the time you think it's hitting you hard, shoot a 338 Win Mag, the 300 Wby will seem like a *****cat. The best advice I can give you is to scope it properly with optics that give a good eye relief, they are way nicer to shoot.

Craig
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Precisionshooter

Badger thruster is a side discharge brake at a reasonable price. Pm me if u like for details
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO you would desrease the rifle in value and desirability 20-30% by adding a break....if you were overly concerned about how the rifle is going to feel you should have looked at a different cartridge perhaps? Like a 30-06 or 300wm.

Shoot it first and see if you can take it as is....if not I think you just bought too much gun for yourself.

Are you a new shooter? What other rifles/calibers a do you own?

LC
I was at a gun auction looking for a semi auto shotgun actually but just couldn't resist the looks of this one, as well i was always wanting a synthetic stocked rifle after taking my laminated stocked 280 to the mountains a few years back, and having the constant fear/stress of slipping and banging up my "pretty" stock! lol. As far as for other calibers I've shot and my experience, I've been shooting since a young boy and some of the larger calibers I've shot/owned have been the 270, 30-06, 270 short mag and I currently own/hunt with a 280.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM

I love a brake on my rifle.

Some of the best memories of hunting for me are impacts and I will never forget them. They are priceless to me. I don't need someone to call my shots and I know what is happening during that 5 seconds of "where is he and what happened".

I ain't a big guy at 6' and 180#'s but I'm not "recoil sensitive". I just don't wanna take a pounding when I don't have to.

I'm a wuss around here tho.....definately in the minority.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Go shoot it and see how it feels.
You may need not need either. Some people seem to be more affected by rifle recoil than others, regardless of size. Yeah Yeah, I have seen the recoil tables...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Throw a limbsaver on there and forget about the muzzle brake!
Cat
x2, did wonders for my .300 WinMag over the stock recoil pad.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM

As most hunters have shot them, or own one, if you are comfortable with shooting 3" 12 ga out of an O/U or a pump, you should be fine with the 7mm, 300 or 338 mags in the standard actions. Bit of a qualifier to that, is stock design and rifle weight. Even a light gun, that is stocked properly, is nice to shoot. A light gun that isn't properly stocked, or a standard weight gun with the wrong stock, can be a pig, even with a good pad on it. If you can't handle it without the brake, you likely need to restock it to fit you, too short or too much drop at the heel causes pain, especially on a bench.
A decent pad should be all you need, with the right stock.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM

If you get a muzzle break make sure it's a thread on. I've got one, original owner thought it was a good idea but at least it had threads. Now it sports a cap.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM

It seems to be a toss up between the limbsaver and the decelerator recoil pads. Is it just cause 1 guy bought the one and the other guy the other? No pro's or con's on the 2?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM

I've owned both and quite frankly the limbs aver is a piece of crap. It looks bad, feels bad, wears bad, and shoulders bad.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
If you get a muzzle break make sure it's a thread on. I've got one, original owner thought it was a good idea but at least it had threads. Now it sports a cap.
I know who that was I think

That rifle came the way it was with the KDF....Dad never bothered to have it removed, I hated shooting near him

LC