Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

That’s blind butt hurt right there. All the best man, you’ve got it all figured. We both do, just very different colour glasses we look through.✌️

Don’t like the data provided, don’t like the shooter, don’t like how the hunt went down, especially don’t like the cartridge, and don’t like yourself apparently. Hope you have a great day.✌️
Old 11-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the photos and write up. I always enjoy the read and pictures. Incredible some of the replies on here...
Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
He probably would have missed it entirely if he was shooting a magnum.
Lol, a lot of truth in that joke probably. I didn’t hit my 620 yrd coyote exactly where I was aiming with my 270 wsm.😉
Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Thanks for the photos and write up. I always enjoy the read and pictures. Incredible some of the replies on here...
Thank You!...to the others who saw the value of the info provided and commented similar.✌️ I’d post again. The more field report data one reads on any 6.5 seems to be exceeding expectation. No surprise to me, or those who follow the numbers for game intended...impact velocity, sd, construction.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Thank You!...to the others who saw the value of the info provided and commented similar.✌️ I’d post again. The more field report data one reads on any 6.5 seems to be exceeding expectation. No surprise to me, or those who follow the numbers for game intended...impact velocity, sd, construction.
I am also always interested in hearing detailed reports of peoples harvests that highlight the successes and the challenges. The ballistic discussions also interest me from all the different camps. I read your posts about the 6.5s with interest as I do the ones comparing the various magnum cartridges. All about geeking out!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Banned

You don’t read either, just what you want to hear I guess. First this was a Grendel not a creedmoor. I made my shot, it was good. Everything after freestanding through 100 yrds of trees was just because I was fast and relentless...getting it done has never been an issue for me, at it since I was 7. Even if you made as good a first shot you’d still be wiping the tears from your eyes while the blood trickles down between your brow saying ‘did I get him? Which way did he go?’(in your best Jim Shockey voice). All the while I cycled and sunk two more into him on the fly before you even figured out what day it was.😉
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

My apologies but you're right it is a grendal you're shooting. Anyways congrats on the moose.

Just curious though as how much betrer did it preform over a 165 gr out of a near obsolete 30 cal.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

>>
I'm missing something here guys, sorry. I see where he was hit in the ribs but why does his horn look so fiddled at the root?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

>>>
I guess one of your shots caught him in the skull, right at the base of the horn as I think I see a bullet hole and the horn as blown off?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Banned

The carcass pic is whitetail, I didn’t get a pic of the moose carcass, the camera went away when the knife came out to put him in truck. And been awhile since I did garage forensics, did so out of convenience only. Only pics are from in garage as you’ll notice. You just have to trust that shot one went where I said, have witness. I had nearly identical shot placement on the whitetail although quartering away, moose was quartering towards a bit. Liver on moose is huge, like easy foot and a half long and had the entire middle third destroyed, looked like shotgun hit it from close range, not sure how that’s possible? Most damage I’ve ever seen to a liver. The bullet carried on into paunch near offside and I wasn’t digging for it. There’d be no forensic pics for y’all if I only took one shot...only reason there are some is because the parts I hit in the follow ups came home with me.

Picture it, I did gutless method to full moose, loaded in truck and then liver last for the guides cats. Sweaty, enough knife work for a morning, oh and not thinking one bit about this forum too lol...or you better believe there would have been field forensic pics for y’all.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-15-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>>
I guess one of your shots caught him in the skull, right at the base of the horn as I think I see a bullet hole and the horn as blown off?
And yes that head one went in under the antler directly into side of brain, you can see it lifted a lot of material under that super thick hide on that side of his head, under the paddle was a bunch of brain and guck, under the hide the skull has little ins and outs, brain oozing out some of those. I’ll put the skull somewhere to get cleaned up and maybe will get follow up pics down the road and recovered bullet chunks? Should all be in that brain pan. That’s 123 grains of eld-m impacting around 2430 fps, sd.252...for energy guys that’s about 1615 ft/lbs. it dumped it all in there, same with liver and same with that femur. By all accounts he ate every bit of 4850 ft/lbs. No pass through. I knew after one by reaction and how quickly he stopped, turned back and was already not going any further. Seeing that liver damage confirmed why.

Will the 6.5 Grendel compete with a 243 win for 0-300 yrd big game? Looks like that’s a 100% yes to me, might even be preferable...just because of the bigger pill. This combo is all factory, reloaders will get 2650 to 2750 out of it on a 20-24” tubes. That 2550 fps launch from my factory stuff doesn’t get to 2000 fps until 375 yards, still 1100 ft/lbs at that range for the energy guys. Past most normal big game hunting distances.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 AM

I’m not sure it will add much to the 243. I watched the 243 with a 90gr Scirocco make very short work of a 300lb Mule Deer at just under 400 yds a couple of days ago. Through the on shoulder and out just behind the off one. Hop, hop, and down. I’ve seen similar deer shot in similar fashion at half the distance with 7mm and 300 magnums that went further. A lot further.

There are a bunch of variables when shooting game. The cartridge choice is one of the least of these. I’ve shot my share of game and have done so with an extreme variety of cartridges and that is my observation and opinion.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m not sure it will add much to the 243. I watched the 243 with a 90gr Scirocco make very short work of a 300lb Mule Deer at just under 400 yds a couple of days ago. Through the on shoulder and out just behind the off one. Hop, hop, and down. I’ve seen similar deer shot in similar fashion at half the distance with 7mm and 300 magnums that went further. A lot further.

There are a bunch of variables when shooting game. The cartridge choice is one of the least of these. I’ve shot my share of game and have done so with an extreme variety of cartridges and that is my observation and opinion.
Well said, agree 100%.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM

I shot this buck with a 7mm Mashburn Super at 310 yds. I pulverized his on shoulder, made a mess of his chest cavity, and the bullet exited. He went over 200 yds. Given those two experiences, the 243 is a giant killer.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

Ya I’ve seen and or heard similar plenty. Including this year, even on this Grendel in the same day. The big animal had big damage but the smaller animal got a lot less damage with easy pass through, you wouldn’t even think same cartidge was used between them, shot distances and placement nearly identical, recovery distance identical too.

Fantastic performance from that 243...hand loading for the Grendel would have it right with it imo. They both carry similar impact velocities at that distance. Nod to the extra weight and sd of the Grendel as that’s about where it starts to walk away from the 243. The Grendel will hold 1800 fps to 525 in my set up, add to that with hand loads.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
And yes that head one went in under the antler directly into side of brain, you can see it lifted a lot of material under that super thick hide on that side of his head, under the paddle was a bunch of brain and guck, under the hide the skull has little ins and outs, brain oozing out some of those. I’ll put the skull somewhere to get cleaned up and maybe will get follow up pics down the road and recovered bullet chunks? Should all be in that brain pan. That’s 123 grains of eld-m impacting around 2430 fps, sd.252...for energy guys that’s about 1615 ft/lbs. it dumped it all in there, same with liver and same with that femur. By all accounts he ate every bit of 4850 ft/lbs. No pass through. I knew after one by reaction and how quickly he stopped, turned back and was already not going any further. Seeing that liver damage confirmed why.

Will the 6.5 Grendel compete with a 243 win for 0-300 yrd big game? Looks like that’s a 100% yes to me, might even be preferable...just because of the bigger pill. This combo is all factory, reloaders will get 2650 to 2750 out of it on a 20-24” tubes. That 2550 fps launch from my factory stuff doesn’t get to 2000 fps until 375 yards, still 1100 ft/lbs at that range for the energy guys. Past most normal big game hunting distances.
>>>
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Quite impressing results indeed. Goes to show again, a person does not need a magnum to achieve great results.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM

There is something to be said about a long ballisticially superior bullet traveling at modest velocities dumping 99.9% of it's energy into the desired animal VS

The ballistic-ally inferior musket ball ballistics of a over powered hyper velocity bullets which punishes the shooter as much as the chosen animal and tends to create huge accuracy issues for a number of shooter due to fear of noise and recoil which has been ignored in this conversation, plus half of the bullets energy being wasted on the dirt behind the animal.

If the animal dies does it really matter which bullet does the deed???
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Banned

More of exactly my beliefs also, well said.

And from that link from rokslide posted in the other thread there were three things I thought worth quoting and hearing again.

1. “Believe me I struggle with this too. I love big 30 Cals. But I do find with the lighter caliber I am more accurate especially if the rifle is lightweight too.”

2. I got more comfortable with seeing them not “register the hit” more decisively. There’s definetly a difference in how they respond to a 30 or 33, but it hasn’t affected the status of my freezer and the feel good factor of the impeccable marksmanship the smaller round contributes to overrides the feel good factor of seeing “a harder hit”

3. “Had very similar results with the 162 eldm in 7mm08 on a bull at 600. Ill post my findings on a different thread.”

I just thought the 7-08 was brilliant...may as well call that the 7 Creedmoor lol.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I shot this buck with a 7mm Mashburn Super at 310 yds. I pulverized his on shoulder, made a mess of his chest cavity, and the bullet exited. He went over 200 yds. Given those two experiences, the 243 is a giant killer.

Nice buck, maybe your the giant killer?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
There is something to be said about a long ballisticially superior bullet traveling at modest velocities dumping 99.9% of it's energy into the desired animal VS

The ballistic-ally inferior musket ball ballistics of a over powered hyper velocity bullets which punishes the shooter as much as the chosen animal and tends to create huge accuracy issues for a number of shooter due to fear of noise and recoil which has been ignored in this conversation, plus half of the bullets energy being wasted on the dirt behind the animal.

If the animal dies does it really matter which bullet does the deed???

I’m glad Stinky shot a moose this fall with his Grendel and filled his freezer, he proved the little 6.5 is a capable moose cartridge and proved a few guys don’t know as much as they figured about hunting.

They can say all they want now, dead moose don’t lie!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I’m glad Stinky shot a moose this fall with his Grendel and filled his freezer, he proved the little 6.5 is a capable moose cartridge and proved a few guys don’t know as much as they figured about hunting.

They can say all they want now, dead moose don’t lie!
After I read this I asked myself why I was thinking the way I did,but as an older hunter I am stuck in my ways and that should be my problem and no one else.

As for Stinky I am glad you got your moose this fall,it will be years of fine memory's and things like your Grendel did it's job along with you. No one can say this should of went this way or that and you were right I wasn't there in your shoes,so I wish you many or plenty of fine hunts and great memories in the future with the rifle you said could do it ,CHEERS

JD

Last edited by JD848; 11-17-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
After I read this I asked myself why I was thinking the way I did,but as an older hunter I am stuck in my ways and that should be my problem and no one else.

As for Stinky I am glad you got your moose this fall,it will be years of fine memory's and things like your Grendel did it's job along with you. No one can say this should of went this way or that and you were right I wasn't there in your shoes,so I wish you many or plenty of fine hunts and great memories in the future with the rifle you said could do it ,CHEERS

JD
Bullets play a way bigger role than cartridges, match your bullet to your muzzle velocity, stick within its recommended velocity and let it do its work. Stinky did the math then did the job with a 123gr bullet, I think that speaks for itself.

Now I hope you and your grandson take that 6.5 Creedmoor out and start filling the freezer!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

JD
Thankyou! Heard every word.✌️
Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

I am really impressed with the bullet performance
If you were trying to sell me on the eldm’s. I’m buying it
On the Grendel... not even close
Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

I shot a doe at 220 with 6.8 spc that went maybe 20-30, sd of bullet was .205 with 110 grains weight...it starts at least 30 fps slower than the Grendel and with a .37 bc it slows down much quicker. The only comparison to make is that they fit in ar platforms. .37 bc and .205 sd at rated 2550 vs .5 bc, .252 sd at 2580 puts the Grendel at a different level. I have the 6.8 as a deer round, the Grendel can do some 3rd class game work too and at further distances.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Bullets play a way bigger role than cartridges, match your bullet to your muzzle velocity, stick within its recommended velocity and let it do its work. Stinky did the math then did the job with a 123gr bullet, I think that speaks for itself.

Now I hope you and your grandson take that 6.5 Creedmoor out and start filling the freezer!
I bought tags for Ontario and never even made it that way,i have ten days left so I may get out for a day or two,someone in my family is not well so I am spending as much time to keep him cheered up because he won't see next fall,but I will,it's just a hunt which hopefully I have many years to keep at it and thank god every day for this.

.My friend has some black angus beef,so I can go hammer one of those and still fill my freezer if my trigger finger gets itchy.

The cm is the kids and I will use my swede if I do some heavy bush hunting and my 7mm or 300wn if I am out in some big openings ,been using all 3 for over 45 years with great results so why change something that works for me.

95 percent of all my kills are one shot deals over 4 decades with what I use,so how much better do I want it.

As for the Grendel it may be good for some and not for others just like any other cartridge or bullet.,but we all use what we feel confident with ,but the main thing is to enjoy the hunt the memory's and just do your own deal.

Whatever your shooting is up to every hunter out there,i am not going to debate any cartridge or bullet size that some one else is shooting,the only debate is what I put in my truck before I head out.I wear my own kinda hat no matter what it is.

Every one hunt safe and enjoy your season.CHEERS

JD
Old 11-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Like I said before congrats on the moose and deer. I went out and bought a bunch of eldm’s because of what you were able to show what damage they can do.
Thankyou and glad the data has been useful. I had little memory of previous discussions as it’s all for the greater good, if not entertainment, anyway. Glad I got the opportunity to fill tags this year let alone have some useful data to offer here. I trust numbers completely so wasn’t worried at all, the shooter is the biggest variable, I know if I do my part that I’ve chosen adequate gear. My take down single shot 270 will be my mountain rig but I’ll have no issues doing deer and predator calling primarily with the Grendel and fill the odd moosetag here and there. I don’t like eating elk after trying them plenty of times so quit hunting them, well the crop fed elk anyway, may have to try a mountain elk that could bring me around perhaps?, but I know the limits of the Grendel. Building a couple for the boys also and I may get into reloading finally as it looks like it will be a simple affair for the Grendel and we likely can do everything we need for Alberta hunting keeping it sub 400 on big game and as far as we can hit em on coyotes etc.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

Stinky, start reloading ASAP! I get Netflix going on the computer in my reloading room and build 200 bullets in just a couple hours. Box of 20 Nosler Taylor makes cost $90 for 20 LRAB’s or I can build 100 for the same price or less. I’ll go through 200-300 rounds on a weekend at the cabin and not feel guilty about it, specially if I’m shooting the cheap stuff.

I’m with you on the elk, I’ll take a moose steak any day. I’ve got about 40lbs of elk I’m bringing to my cabin this week to make jerky with, I’m keeping the moose for dinners.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
More of exactly my beliefs also, well said.

And from that link from rokslide posted in the other thread there were three things I thought worth quoting and hearing again.

1. “Believe me I struggle with this too. I love big 30 Cals. But I do find with the lighter caliber I am more accurate especially if the rifle is lightweight too.”

2. I got more comfortable with seeing them not “register the hit” more decisively. There’s definetly a difference in how they respond to a 30 or 33, but it hasn’t affected the status of my freezer and the feel good factor of the impeccable marksmanship the smaller round contributes to overrides the feel good factor of seeing “a harder hit”

3. “Had very similar results with the 162 eldm in 7mm08 on a bull at 600. Ill post my findings on a different thread.”

I just thought the 7-08 was brilliant...may as well call that the 7 Creedmoor lol.

I never did get armored of any of the 30 calibers as I lucked out and got a 270 Win as my first rifle. I lucked into a 7mm08 shortly after a short bout of Magumania with a 7mm Rem and found that the numbers were not that much different except in recoil. It was soon evident that the 7mm08 handload numbers were much better than a 308. I wonder how long the 308 will remain the favorite for shooting disciplines, that require a military cartridge, now that the 6.5 CM has been accepted by the military.

Shortly after Alexander Arms announced the development of the 6.5 Grendel, in about 2003, I determined that it would likely be an excellent 300 deer/moose cartridge with the 125 Nosler Partition that was available at the time. All of the data was for lighter bullets in an AR with 18" barrel but I figured in a 24" barrel with a bit more FreeBore to accommodate the 125 partition that it would be a winner especially for youngsters and the lady's. I even went so far as to claim that it would likely deliver more energy/ grain of powder, to 300 yards, than any other cartridge available at the time. I took a lot of flack on another sight, much like you are experiencing, for even suggesting that it would likely be one of the most efficient 300 yard deer guns ever.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post the results on deer and moose that confirm my suspicions. I look forward to you posting the results with the 162 ELD-M on a bull moose at 600 yards. I had plans to do that with the 162 A-Max back about 15 years ago and will post drawings of the load that I had developed when you post.

I have added the load that rokslide used in the 6.5 PRC to the comparison chart that I posted previously and will post it on that thread. It exactly mirrors what I had envisioned for the 6.5 EXTREME that I designed to run the 140 VLD Hunting bullet to 3050 fps.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM

Closed. Too much BS. Just wasted 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. Grow up people.
Closed Thread