Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Default Mulie is positive

So I got the test results back in my mulie in wmu 202,
And he tested positive........ not impressed but I knew the risk prior.
Now he’s my deal and hopefully someone on here may be able to help me out.
So I got a call from the nice lady telling me my mulie tested positive and was given the choice to toss or eat........ not sure what to do there.

Now what gets me going. Is I was told I’m s.o.l. No new tag, no Refund back for my wasted tag.

Has anyone else herd about this? I was under the impression they issued you a new tag for the next year if it was a positive result.......

And does anyone have a good link about the effects of CWd positive / human consumption

Thanks
Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Banned

don't eat it and get a new tag for next year. it's not worth it
Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Fish, do you know who to talk to about the tag. As the lady on the phone was pretty adiment that there is no new tag offered to me now or next year
Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper0067 View Post
Fish, do you know who to talk to about the tag. As the lady on the phone was pretty adiment that there is no new tag offered to me now or next year
talk to f&w i know people who have done it
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I spoke to Margo Pybus directly with my positive and was issued another draw tag the following season.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM

There was some discussion about consumption in this thread (I linked it right to the relevant post, so you don't have to go through the first page and a half):
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...55#post3681255
Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

New for 2018: Free CWD replacement licences no longer available
The original intent in offering replacement licences was to encourage hunters to return to areas of Alberta where CWD was first detected. However, hunter interest and harvest in the CWD area remains high and free replacement licences are no longer considered necessary.

Initially, very few harvested deer had CWD and thus very few replacement licences were offered. However, with increased prevalence and distribution of CWD, this is no longer the case.

Increasing numbers of hunters with a CWD replacement licence are creating a disproportionate harvest opportunity and advantage over those hunters who must build priority points to access a licence, particularly for antlered mule deer.

CWD occurs in pockets of localized deer, so hunters harvesting from the same small population each year are more likely to harvest an infected deer and gain access to annual free replacement licences. As the number of CWD cases increases over time, the number of replacement licences becomes disproportionate to the number of licences available to individuals who apply for draws, and limits the diversity of opportunity for broader populations of hunters who wish to have that opportunity.

found on gov website
Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
The original intent in offering replacement licences was to encourage hunters to return to areas of Alberta where CWD was first detected. However, hunter interest and harvest in the CWD area remains high and free replacement licences are no longer considered necessary.

Initially, very few harvested deer had CWD and thus very few replacement licences were offered. However, with increased prevalence and distribution of CWD, this is no longer the case.

Increasing numbers of hunters with a CWD replacement licence are creating a disproportionate harvest opportunity and advantage over those hunters who must build priority points to access a licence, particularly for antlered mule deer.

CWD occurs in pockets of localized deer, so hunters harvesting from the same small population each year are more likely to harvest an infected deer and gain access to annual free replacement licences. As the number of CWD cases increases over time, the number of replacement licences becomes disproportionate to the number of licences available to individuals who apply for draws, and limits the diversity of opportunity for broader populations of hunters who wish to have that opportunity.

found on gov website
Well that makes a lot of sense
Old 11-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Well that makes a lot of sense
Actually it does. I get a tag and shoot trophy mule buck in zipper lip coulee that tests positive. Give me a new tag and I head right back to the same spot next year where there is an excellent chance (probably better than the draw) to shoot another one. I then get a third tag and back I go for another buck. The replacement tag came out of the pool in the next draw so less opportunity for the guys that were building priority. The only mistake they made was giving a free tag in the first place.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Translation: the customers are still lining up to purchase this product despite the known deficiencies; we no longer feel it is necessary to offer an incentive as it simply cuts into our profit.

OP- scrap the meat, garbage bag and in to the trash. It is not worth taking the chance with your long term health, or the health of your pets.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 11-16-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the reply’s everyone, all I can say is at least I get to keep my antlers lol......... at least I can look at them and think of how tasty the jerky would have been
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Yup, chuck it. Sucks, but what do you do.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 PM

This in an interesting development. Without the option to replace a tag on a CWD deer, my thoughts will now be to not hunt mulie in CWD zones. I'm more of a meat than antler guy. But if everyone did that so much for trying to control the population in those particular zones. But if we were relying on my success to control populations I'd have deer hanging out in my living room!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
So I got a call from the nice lady telling me my mulie tested positive and was given the choice to toss or eat........ not sure what to do there.

Now what gets me going. Is I was told I’m s.o.l. No new tag, no Refund back for my wasted tag.

Has anyone else herd about this? I was under the impression they issued you a new tag for the next year if it was a positive result.......

And does anyone have a good link about the effects of CWd positive / human consumption

Thanks
Well, that sucks on both counts; no meat and no new tag.

Just wondering, was your animal already processed when you found out? If so, does anyone notify the shop if taken to a commercial butcher?

I’d hate the thought of wondering if my animal was next in line after an infected one...
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM

When areas test results are at 50% positive you guys want a free tag next year? So there will be nothing left in what 5 years? They are already handing out 400ish antlered tags in that zone. Time to give a little rather then take take take.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 PM

IMO if a replacement tag is desired to be issued the next year the antlers should be forfeited that would eliminate any abuse of the system.
I have been involved in two possible replacement tags for antlers moose over the years and this was always a requirement.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:18 PM

That sucks but that’s the way it goes. I shot a mule buck last year and it was positive, I’m in 234 and I got my free tag but last year was the last year for that. So I’m back here this weekend doing my part and trying to fill my tag. I didn’t eat last years buck, kinda crappy but we all know it’s a chance hunting in CWD zones.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Maybe giving at least a free priority point would be a good compromise and add just a little incentive to continue to submit heads.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 PM

It will be interesting to see how much the percentage of tested animals with CWD have gone up from last year.

Two years ago it took me 10 days to find out the results from a Mule deer taken in 118. I’m betting most people will have their animal butchered before the results come in. With the chance of cross-contamination happening at a commercial butcher shop at what point will they say “no more” for accepting animals from infected areas? At what point does the whole province become an infected area?

I hated thinking of the idea mine tested negative but it might have been cut up right after one that ends up testing positive so much that I went out and spent a couple thousand bucks buying equipment so that I could process all my own game. It will still be processed before I get the results of testing but at least I’ll know it was not infected or processed right after one that was infected.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM

I've been hunting 200 and 202 for about 10 years on my friends property and we took around couple dozen of deers out of there , mostly mulies and some whitetails .
All of them were tested negative for CWD including our last two mulies that we shot 2 weeks ago.
As was mentioned before, usually they are in the pockets of land with a population that is infected and its better stay away from those places .

S12
Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 PM

^ Hard to know which pockets of land are positive prone without previous experience or results.

OP, hard to swallow, but unfortunately its best to toss the meat. I was lucky with mine last year and got another tag.

I learned from my mistakes last year, so this year i deboned everything after the harvest and vacuum sealed. Threw it in the freezer, and now awaiting the results before processing or taking to a butcher.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:09 AM

I've hear a person is supposed to dispose of knives and other butchering equipment used if an animal comes back positive. Anyone else heard this?

In testing, monkeys fed CWD infected meat took 6 or more years before showing symptoms/infection of CWD.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, that sucks on both counts; no meat and no new tag.

Just wondering, was your animal already processed when you found out? If so, does anyone notify the shop if taken to a commercial butcher?

I’d hate the thought of wondering if my animal was next in line after an infected one...
All good I cut it up my self, glad I didn’t loose on on the cost of processing it also
Old 11-17-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:

found on gov website
If a hunters kills infected deer every year, he is helping to control the disease, to prevent it from spreading. I see this change as nothing more than the government saving cash.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks
They changed how they handle things, no new tags given...I wouldn’t eat it, we have had 3 test positive now.

LC
Old 11-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Rules changed NO NEW tags given.

LC
Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Red Bullets;3873331]I've hear a person is supposed to dispose of knives and other butchering equipment used if an animal comes back positive. Anyone else heard this?

I have read ""Recommendations"" That you can soak your butchering equipment in a 50/50 bleach water solution for an hour,

Its scary to think how many infected deer went through commercial processors. I wonder what they are doing for disinfection?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
With the chance of cross-contamination happening at a commercial butcher shop at what point will they say “no more” for accepting animals from infected areas? At what point does the whole province become an infected area?
Guarantee this is already starting to happen! I've had folks tell me they take their deer to the butcher and lie about where they shot it. I think their reasoning was that since there's been no confirmed cases in humans it's not worth the hassle.

Makes you wonder if you still want to eat the pepperoni and jerky they offer you...
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Guarantee this is already starting to happen! I've had folks tell me they take their deer to the butcher and lie about where they shot it. I think their reasoning was that since there's been no confirmed cases in humans it's not worth the hassle.

Makes you wonder if you still want to eat the pepperoni and jerky they offer you...
Not submitting/reporting is worth a $115 ticket I believe.

LC
Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post

How can they lie when the tag has the zone number on it?