Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Glad to hear that everything is workin out for ya. If/when you decide to put a scope on it, i would strongly suggest looking at one with alot of eye relief. I have a Leupold VX3 on mine and so far ive had no problems; i think the relief is around 4" or so, even on its highest magnification.
Yeah I am as well My Brother in law works at wolverine in Red deer and suggested I take a look at the Hawke line of scopes, as there price is quite low compared to others yet they are great glass for the money. The eye relief on the one I'm interested in is 3.2 and is a 6-24x50mm model in the Nite-eye series.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Yeah I am as well My Brother in law works at wolverine in Red deer and suggested I take a look at the Hawke line of scopes, as there price is quite low compared to others yet they are great glass for the money. The eye relief on the one I'm interested in is 3.2 and is a 6-24x50mm model in the Nite-eye series.
I don't know much about the Hawke optics line but I think I would have a few concerns about them standing up to the recoil of the 300wby over time.

LC
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't know much about the Hawke optics line but I think I would have a few concerns about them standing up to the recoil of the 300wby over time.

LC
x2
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Default .300 Wby

I have an old german made .300 WBY mag and it had the original Hockey puck rubber recoil pad on it. Got to the point that i was not enjoying to shoot it.
Took the rifle to a well known gunsmith here in Edmonton thinking the way of a muzzle brake.
He talked me out of it at first by suggesting I put on a Pachmayer Decelerator custom ground to fit pad. i decided to take his advice and went with it. sooooooo glad I did that. I notice a huge difference now when I shoot the rifle. No sore shoulder anymore and not worried about the recoil as much. Plus i have a original german made weatherby that is not altered by a loud ear splitting muzzle brake screwed on the end of it.
And when I have the cross hairs lined up on an animal, i certainly dont feel the recoil anyways.
Just my two bits.
Good luck! Dudes2010
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Yeah good point LC. I'll have to check into that potential problem for sure. What about the Vortex line?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Leupold has by far the best eye relief of all the optics that I've tried, nearly 4 inches. I think proper eye relief is the most important thing you can do to make a rifle comfortable to shoot.

-Craig
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Leupold has by far the best eye relief of all the optics that I've tried, nearly 4 inches. I think proper eye relief is the most important thing you can do to make a rifle comfortable to shoot.
The Zeiss Conquest has nearly 4" of eye relief, but unlike nearly all Leupold variable scopes, it has virtually the same eye relief at all magnifications. In the case of Leupold, the eye relief can vary by up to 1-1/4" or so, as you change magnification.